It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq Prison Escape Tunnel Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
U.S troops have discovered a 600 foot long escape tunnel that is believed to be involved in a plan for a mass escape from Camp Bucca Prison in Southeastern Iraq. The tunnel, which is 10 feet below ground and around 3 feet wide was discovered after a tip off began a camp wide search. The discovery of the tunnel has solved the issue of machinery jams in the latrine system from sand and dirt disposed of by detainees during the digging, which has up to now confounded camp officials.

edition.cnn.com
The tunnel is believed to have been dug with improvised tools. Military authorities discovered it after a tip initiated a campwide search.

The tunnel is about 10 feet below ground and 2 to 3 feet wide.

Pentagon officials did not know how long the tunnel had been under construction.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The prison is home to 6049 prisoners, which is about two thirds of the detainess at the three main Iraqi prisons and was placed on alert after a smiliar smaller tunnel was discovered earlier this week. A head count has revealed that no-one has escaped so far through the tunnel.

The same prison was involved in rioting on Jan 31st this year after prisoners attacked guards with rocks. The guards opened fire and killed four prisoners and wounded others.

The tunnel was discovered a day before Major General William H. Brandenburg, who is head of American detnetion operations in Iraq toured the camp with General George W. Casey Jr who is the top commander in Iraq at this point.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www.nytimes.com

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I looked and didnt see it, so sorry. I know I seen this, this morning.

I even posted in it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It wasnt news.

[edit on 26-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I did search, sorry but no results came up.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Just so you know.. It is fine to have the same topic in ATSNN and in the general ATS forums, such as Other Current events.

One thread in ATS and one in ATSNN... Is just fine

So let the voting continue.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I said I was sorry, I was thinking it was news this morning.

Same things that you laugh, make you cry, I want to change my vote now.

[edit on 26-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Like I said earlier, I find you odd that not one person excaped.

A lie or not?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I believe that most likely it was that the tunnel had not yet reached the exit part. They should not be too hard to fill up. hell Iraq is full of SAND

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I believe that most likely it was that the tunnel had not yet reached the exit part. They should not be too hard to fill up. hell Iraq is full of SAND

It did have an exit point. It was sand and should have colapsed(sp) but it didnt.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
www.cnn.com... I read about the escape tunnel yesterday on yahoo news. It is odd that the military does not use a laser level to see if the sand is piling up in certain areas. If the tunnel is 600 feet long by 2-3 feet wide and x heigh to crawl through, then we are talking about alot of sand. It is too early to do the math and to have a rough estimate I need the height of the tunnel too.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by walhallamarbil
~snip If the tunnel is 600 feet long by 2-3 feet wide and x heigh to crawl through, then we are talking about alot of sand. It is too early to do the math and to have a rough estimate I need the height of the tunnel too.

Its never too early to do the math.

Assuming an average 2.5' diameter tunnel x 600 feet long
A=pi*r^2
V=A*600'
=2945 cubic feet of dirt! At least! Plugged toilet? I'll say!

[edit on 27-3-2005 by tjack]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
That is alot, alot of sand. The MP's can not be doing there jobs right if they did see this happening.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I just heard a General on the TV box say that the tunnel was not 600 feet, but 300. But that is still a lot of dirt.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Check out some pictures with added story too.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join