It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Navies new type 45 destroyer.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
Looks very nice.

Would i be right in presuming that the Type 45 will be used in a carrier fleet?

It seems defensive in nature and designed to protect other ships.

Its a multirole ship, but mainly an airdefense ship.
The main offensive will be by the F-35B (if they give us the codes) , the FSC and by the astute class subs.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
One thing puzzles me - why make such ships as destroyers stealth? The radar needs to be always on and it emmits a lot of EM energy which completely negates the stealth atributes, or not?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
One thing puzzles me - why make such ships as destroyers stealth? The radar needs to be always on and it emmits a lot of EM energy which completely negates the stealth atributes, or not?

I think the radar is stealthy so therefore that makes the whole thing stealthy.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Its a multirole ship, but mainly an airdefense ship.
The main offensive will be by the F-35B (if they give us the codes) , the FSC and by the astute class subs.

Yep, it's primary function will be AA for the Battlegroup.

And those new Astute Subs look mean, carrying alot of weaponry, and state of the art:

Astute Submarine

All in all, with the new FCS, Astute, Type 45's and the new Supercarriers, the RN is going to be pretty beefed up in the next decade.

Wish I had joined now when they accepted my application

EDIT: To fix the darn pic....bloody MOD....grrr

[edit on 28/3/05 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What did you apply for stu?
You can still join now!
I am....well trying to in 6 months...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Oh god....was a while back, just as i left School. Was going to be a Weapons Engineer type, can't remember the official Navy splurge for it though.

They accepted me when I was still 15 and just before I got my results. They went on my predicted (I have a large brain
)and as I scored higher then the other guys there (they where all mid-20's) were willing to take me on, as soon as I had my GCSE cert's.

22 now, and I have a young daughter, so I am not willing to leave her for ages and miss out.

Although, if the country needs me, I will answer the call. probably go for Army though, as with what I have now, could go for Officer

What you doing DW? I know you have been harping on about the RN for as long as I have "known" you.

How old are you anyway's? Using my ESP super psychic Alien shapeshifting reptile powers, I reckon 15 1/2..... ??

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well I'm 16 1/2 (you were close) and want to be a tiff but didnt pass first time round so I'm stuck with technitian then mabye going for tiff...would love to be a tiff in weapons branch.
I looked at the REME and the marines but hmph navy seems more my street, I couldnt hack RMC training.

Well respect to you for being willing to fight for your daughter if needs be , but still wanting to be at home for her, good man

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yeah, I was going to be an Artificer..Tiff.....whatever the military slang for it is! Decided at the time though it wasn't for me, as my bro went in before me and had a bit of crap time. He enjoyed the 6 month booze cruise around the Caribean on HMS Iron Duke, but the way he described the rest of it to me put me off (plus, I like the green too much
)

My Dad was in REME, good bunch of chaps, alot more laid back than the rest of the Army (and alot smarter too!). He left about 8 years back, but still teaches at the Apprentices College at Arborfield Garrison (near Reading, my town!)

All in all, I am from a very military family. Most of my aunts/uncles/cousins/ancestors where/are in the Military, so we are very connected to HM Forces. I am one of a few black sheeps

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Yeah, I was going to be an Artificer..Tiff.....whatever the military slang for it is! Decided at the time though it wasn't for me, as my bro went in before me and had a bit of crap time. He enjoyed the 6 month booze cruise around the Caribean on HMS Iron Duke, but the way he described the rest of it to me put me off (plus, I like the green too much
)

Lol another wannabe tiff!
What branch?
Engineering, air , weapons? I hear engineering is crap...
Lol

My Dad was in REME, good bunch of chaps, alot more laid back than the rest of the Army (and alot smarter too!). He left about 8 years back, but still teaches at the Apprentices College at Arborfield Garrison (near Reading, my town!)

Yeah, I was thinking of being a tiff in the REME, those guys are sound like..

All in all, I am from a very military family. Most of my aunts/uncles/cousins/ancestors where/are in the Military, so we are very connected to HM Forces. I am one of a few black sheeps

Lol, my family is mostly cadet based but not very military based lol, nothing really to connect to military wise lol..

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Lol another wannabe tiff!
What branch?
Engineering, air , weapons? I hear engineering is crap...
Lol

Wannabe? You cheeky get! I am a couldhavebeen!

I was going for Weapons, hardest to get into apparently. My brother was Engineering, and it was #e according to him!

Funny thing is, I have, over the course of a few years, applied for all 3 branches, and aced the appitude test, so could have done anything...but then I would decide against it at the last minute. Could never commit myself to the military regime........too much of a free spirit

Yeah, I was thinking of being a tiff in the REME, those guys are sound like..

Yep. Plus, my Dad always said, there is less chance of getting shot at! Also, REME gets attached to all the Army, so you can go anywhere.

Lol, my family is mostly cadet based but not very military based lol, nothing really to connect to military wise lol..

It's good that they take an interest in the young'uns! Get the while their fresh
...thats sounds dodgy....what I mean is, make sure they take an interest in things that are good, like exercise, fitness, career etc

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I joined as a tiff (marine engineer), i was in for over a year but i hated it so i left before i turned 18, i am still probably going to give the RAF a try, this time i will be totally commited if i join. BTW u cannot guarantee u will get in the branch u want as that is decided in basic depending on how well u score in all the various exams and fitness tests. The easiest to get into being marine and weapons engineering ,it is much harder to get into the fleet air arm because there are not as many positions but its still perfectly feasible if u show them some dedication and do well in basic.

[edit on 29-3-2005 by ufo3]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Couple of things:

The FSC is on indefinate hold so you wont see any trimiran frigates untill atleast 2020.

The Type 45's do have phalanx as they are getting the sets off the type 42's as they retire. They are also starting life with the same main guns as the type 42's.

However the whole boat is designed to be easily upgraded through its life, with space left in the structure for expanding the kit. Possible mods include:
Extended vertical lunch tubes to take the planned Aster 45 (ballistic missile defence) and even tomahawk etc. There is space around the gun to install a 155mm gun as it is developed (planned to be a development of the AS90 braveheart) or even a rail gun if we get the tech. There is also space to upgrade the CIWS system to SeaRam or Metal Storm if required. Addition may also include the harpoon launchers of the type 22's and 42's that are retiring theby cheaply increasing the anti-surface capablility. They have also included room to upgrade the sensors in due course (including upgraded Sampson)

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by ufo3
I wonder if they will have phalanx or goalkeeper? ime not sure if they are developing somrthing completly new or will they upgrade what they have ie GK or phalanx?

Probably use metal storm...or goal keeper...since its supposed to be better...

Use RAM, since that is what the USN is switching over to.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

RAM?
Radar absorbant material?
I thought the US was switching to metal storm and point laser defense systems on the bigger ships....whats RAM?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

RAM?
I thought the US was switching to metal storm and point laser defense systems on the bigger ships....whats RAM?

Rolling Airframe Missile.

It is a stinger missile with a sidewinder seeker head.

Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Rolling Airframe Missile.

It is a stinger missile with a sidewinder seeker head.

Hope that helps.

Ah...kinda like the Sea Wolf then? Just better....

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

RAM?

RAM

RAM pictures

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Oh by the way, the USN is switching to RAM because it is more capable than ever, and it can now hit a wider range of targets.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind some high energy lasers along with RAM on US navy ships especial the larger ones. I think by 2013 the U.S. should be able to put solid state lasers on ships.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I wouldn't mind some high energy lasers along with RAM on US navy ships especial the larger ones. I think by 2013 the U.S. should be able to put solid state lasers on ships.

Laser are unpractical for ship defense IMO, because they performace is limited by bad weather and clouds (and there is a lot of clouds on the sea). The planes can use them because they fly above most wether effects (10-15 000 meters).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join