It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Yearn for Home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is a comment by Thomas Crowne concerning a letter I posted from a solder in Iraq:

"What a touching fabricated letter written by a democratic propagandist. His son may be in Baghdad, and the son may have written the letter as propaganda, as a matter of fact.

I have a letter just like that but 180 degrees out. As a matter of fact, mine, from an infantryman, says that one is a lie. "

Well, here's the truth:

A Big Letdown
Soldiers Learn They�ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expected

F A L L U J A H, Iraq, July 16� The sergeant at the 2nd Battle Combat Team Headquarters pulled me aside in the corridor. "I've got my own 'Most Wanted' list," he told me.

He was referring to the deck of cards the U.S. government published, featuring Saddam Hussein, his sons and other wanted members of the former Iraqi regime.

"The aces in my deck are Paul Bremer, Donald Rumsfeld, George Bush and Paul Wolfowitz," he said.

He was referring to the four men who are running U.S. policy here in Iraq � the four men who are ultimately responsible for the fate of U.S. troops here.

Those four are not popular at 2nd BCT these days. It is home to 4,000 troops from the 2nd Brigade of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division. The soldiers were deployed to Kuwait last September. They were among the first troops in Baghdad during the war. And now they've been in the region longer than other troops: 10 months and counting.

They were told they'd be going home in May. Then in early July. Then late July. Then last week they heard that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld had mentioned them on Capitol Hill.

"The 2nd Brigade is � the plan is that they would return in August, having been there something like 10 months," said Rumsfeld.

�I Don�t Care Anymore�

Now comes word from the Pentagon: Not so fast.

The U.S. military command in Iraq said Tuesday it plans to complete the withdrawal of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division by September, but officials said they could make no hard promises because of the unsettled state of security in Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq.

"If Donald Rumsfeld were sitting here in front of us, what would you say to him?" I asked a group of soldiers who gathered around a table, eager to talk to a visiting reporter.

"If he was here," said Pfc. Jason Punyahotra, "I would ask him why we're still here, why we've been told so many times and it's changed."

In the back of the group, Spc. Clinton Deitz put up his hand. "If Donald Rumsfeld was here," he said, "I'd ask him for his resignation."

abcnews.go.com...

Stick with me. LYING is against my nature.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
looks like there won't be any christmas in whooville this year.

what soldier doesn't bitch about having to get deployed?

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
And look at the love from the republicans.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
And look at the love from the republicans.

Indeed,
soldiers always whine about it, it's par for the course.
would you rather be anywhere else?
they sure whined in somalia. but orders are orders.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a real soldier would never piss and moan while he/she is serving their country.

suck it up....its your job. its what you desided to do with your life. its your commitment to your family and country.

most of them must have joined the service for the free tuition and housing.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ya know. These are the same people with bumper stickers that say"Support our troops." You don't see them running to the recruitment office saying, "Yeah, drill sargent, sign me up NOW for Bush's War."

But they conveniently criticize those who ARE fighting and risking their lives in the safety of their own homes.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Ya know. These are the same people with bumper stickers that say"Support our troops." You don't see them running to the recruitment office saying, "Yeah, drill sargent, sign me up NOW for Bush's War."

But they conveniently criticize those who ARE fighting and risking their lives in the safety of their own homes.

And i've seen plenty of my friends go when they were needed to fight this war.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   
While you sit here and criticize them...

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   

blah blah blah,
why are you not fighting "colonel"

oh that's right, we all have our reasons.
don't doubt my patriotisim just because you want to debate politics. it's not polite.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury

blah blah blah,
why are you not fighting "colonel"

oh that's right, we all have our reasons.
don't doubt my patriotisim just because you want to debate politics. it's not polite.

Yeah whatever. I'm not the one criticizing the "real" patriots. I have empathy for them, Mr. Patriot.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   
hmm. riiiight.
you criticize them as well, when they do thier job,
you criticize the inteligence branches of the us govt.

Hey, *shrug* i do too, but i can sympathize, doesn't mean they don't have the job they requested. but i can sympathize.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i would be right there on the front line if it wasnt for my large breasts....do you know how hard those puppies are to lug around?

imagine me and my koloshnikov running through the desert field....i would get whiplash from one of those suckers hitting me in the head.

is that considered a disability? large breasts?

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kitty
i would be right there on the front line if it wasnt for my large breasts....do you know how hard those puppies are to lug around?

imagine me and my koloshnikov running through the desert field....i would get whiplash from one of those suckers hitting me in the head.

I consider that a battlefield strategy,
you stand up, and bear those shirt puppies, and i'll bear down on them with the AK, while you distract them.

easy as pie.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Colonel, I am sure that my father and those that fought in Vietnam also "yearned to come home" despite him signing up for three tours........

This article only goes to emphize that any uniformed women and men of the armed forces, in any conflict, "yearns to come home".........despite the attempts currently being used to "skew" it.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
uhhh

lets not go too far with this

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kitty

Don't tease. I'm happily married.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
You obviously know nothing about the Military Colonel which is the proof this letter is fabricated.

No matter how bad a president is, for instance Clinton (not because of me but the military).

The Military hated Clinton, you'd never know it while in office because in the Military you can not SPEAK AGAINST THE PRESIDENT.

Anyone that does is liable to be court martialed.

After Clinton's term, the Military jumped on him...you'd hear the complaints roll in one after the other.

Same for Bush.

Any soldier that says he has a deck of cards with the Administration's faces on it, is lying.

Because he'd be dishonorably discharged.

In fact, such a "hit list" can even be considered as levying support for the Enemies of the US and thus treasonous.

This article is obviously altered or twisted in some way.

[Edited on 17-7-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:39 PM
link   
So, once again, everyone is lying and only YOU know the truth. OK.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ugh what's worse....these "soldiers" (I still think the article is a bit contrived), fight a war for a couple days.

Have some losers take pot-shots at them...and whine that they aren't being sent home after a few months...

Wait a minute, what happend to their Grandparents here? Hold on wait....

Their grandparents go off for training, and don't come back for 4 years, if at all, and when the war was over, people still dying, they might not have had enough points to come back for another YEAR....

These guys don't have the right to complain.

In fact if this is the sentiment of the unit, (Which I doubt it), they don't even diserve a ribbon for this.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Has nothing to do with "Truth" has to do with rationality.

The military isn't allowed to complain, this "article" is grounds for court martial. So I doubt it's fully accurate, considering the last thing someone wants is booted out no pay, and a year in prisoned.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join