It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lock heed sr-71 and sr-71B , wierd...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i have got a book about flight and it has 2 pageso on the blackbird, it shows 2 diffrent planes though, they look the same but one has a visible window that s above and behingd the cockpit. i looked and i saw one was the sr-71 and other was the sr-71 b. what others r there? if there is not many could i have pic of all of them plz lol

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Im not an expert, but I believe the "b" version is the trainer version for pilots to learn in...you just cant get in that thing know how to fly it.

I think them are the only 2 types ever made with the sr-71b being the only variation from the original....why else would they need other types?

Hope that helps

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
ok, i would be logical seeing as the second cockpit is right abv and bhind,

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The window you probably can see is the Reconnaissance Systems Officers position, which was included as part of the SR-71 series, or a second pilots seat for training. The type of SR-71 without a SRO position are actually converted A-12 aircraft, built for the Oxcart program for the CIA which flew with only the pilot.

The SR-71 program grew out of the A-12 program simply as a matter of course. The CIA intelligence program was not accessable to the USAF so they purchased a number of A-12 articles of their own, starting the SR-71 primarily as a Recon/Strike variant.

The first SR-71, essentially a modified A-12 article, flew on December 22nd, 1964. The main difference between the SR-71 proper and the A-12 conversions being the addition of the SRO position behind the pilot.

The major types of Blackbird are:

YF-12 - initial development version
A-12 - initial production version
M-21 - carrier for the D-21 drone
A-12A - 2 seat trainer version

AF-12 - initial concept redesign to produce the SR-71 as a strike aircraft
RB-12 - bomber version of AF-12

YF-12A - 'non black' AF-12 designation

SR-71 - initial production version
SR-71A - production version including SRO position
SR-71B - primarily a two seat pilot trainer, but for some reason some standard 'B's were produced with pilot and SRO positions
SR-71C - two seat pilot trainer

[edit on 26/3/2005 by RichardPrice]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The link below shows a photo with many of the SR-71 types including the converted A-12s, the SR-71B (right at the back), and SR-71As.

Too big to include as image here

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
wow, that is so cool, amazing, thanx

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
As stated the A-12 Oxcart was s single seat bird that was operated by the CIA.

A proposal came from this aircraft for the AF-12 Interseptor which was an A-12 without the chines. This aircraft was not built but the idea turned into the YF-12A of which 3 were built

Other aircraft built

2 A-12's converted to M21 Drone carriers
1 A-12B Trainer -
31 SR-71A
2 SR-71B Trainers
1 SR71 C Trainer - Built from the front end of a SR-71 Static Model and the back end of YF-12A (934) Nicknamed The Bastard- a real pain to fly

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The link to the picture show the 11 SR-71's taken at the time of the Blackbirds retirement- No A-12's in this picture.

Also no A-12's were bought or flown by the USAF.these were strickly C.I.A Operated and flown by the 1129th Special Activities Squadron.

Even though the SR-71 design came from the A-12 there were manufacturing differences. The A-12 Chine is not an integral fuselage structural element but is instead a separate Structure attached to the central fuselage core which is generally cylindrical in shape. The chines on the SR-71 were part of the ribs.( not added on)

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Link to all A-12/YF-12A/SR-71 pictures in all versions.

www.hitechweb.szm.sk/blackbird.htm

At the bottom of the page simply click on POKRACOVANIE button and go to next page.

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: RichardPrice
The window you probably can see is the Reconnaissance Systems Officers position, which was included as part of the SR-71 series, or a second pilots seat for training. The type of SR-71 without a SRO position are actually converted A-12 aircraft, built for the Oxcart program for the CIA which flew with only the pilot.

The SR-71 program grew out of the A-12 program simply as a matter of course. The CIA intelligence program was not accessable to the USAF so they purchased a number of A-12 articles of their own, starting the SR-71 primarily as a Recon/Strike variant.

The first SR-71, essentially a modified A-12 article, flew on December 22nd, 1964. The main difference between the SR-71 proper and the A-12 conversions being the addition of the SRO position behind the pilot.

The major types of Blackbird are:

YF-12 - initial development version
A-12 - initial production version
M-21 - carrier for the D-21 drone
A-12A - 2 seat trainer version

AF-12 - initial concept redesign to produce the SR-71 as a strike aircraft
RB-12 - bomber version of AF-12

YF-12A - 'non black' AF-12 designation

SR-71 - initial production version
SR-71A - production version including SRO position
SR-71B - primarily a two seat pilot trainer, but for some reason some standard 'B's were produced with pilot and SRO positions
SR-71C - two seat pilot trainer

[edit on 26/3/2005 by RichardPrice]

In addition to the three YF-12A prototypes being built, Lockheed in won a contract for 93 examples of the F-12 production version, designated F-12B, which would have had chines along the nose like those of the A-12 and SR-71. However, a tight budget resulting from defense spending on the Vietnam War meant that the F-12B program was canceled in December 1967 before titanium could be forged for any of the F-12Bs on order.

Links:
www.secretprojects.co.uk...
www.secretprojects.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This Spy Plane was a beautiful piece of engineering. When I was a child enjoying G.I. action figures, this was a Cadillac of kids toys. What a beautiful plane! And such power and capabilities!
edit on 11-3-2023 by MatthewGraybeal13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MatthewGraybeal13

Seeing it in person is impressive. Boeing has one in their museum of aviation in Washington State.

top topics

join