It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Colombian Police Find Submarine for Smuggling Drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Columbian authorities have discovered and seized a submarine intended to help with the trafficking of drugs. the fiberglass submarine was nearly complete when police captured in near the Pacific Ocean. The submarine would have been used to ferry the drugs to speed boats offshore.

story.news.yahoo.com[/ url]
BOGOTA, Colombia - Authorities discovered a submarine-like vessel Friday still under construction by drug traffickers who planned to use it to smuggle coc aine, the head of Colombia's secret police said.

Eduardo Fernandez said the fiberglass submarine was nearly complete when police found it near the Pacific Ocean, in Tumaco, 370 miles southwest of Bogota.

"The ingenuity of drug traffickers is amazing," Fernandez told The Associated Press.

He said the vessel would have been used to carry coc aine to speed boats offshore, which would then take the drugs to Central America or Mexico, for eventual delivery to the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As the head of Columbia's secret police stated "The ingenuity of drug traffickers is amazing". Given the large amounts of money involved you have to wonder if any of them have thought about purchasing a for real Soviet era diesel/electric submarine and use it to smuggle directly to the United States? In 2000 a 100 foot submarine made of steel was seized. Who really knows for sure?

[edit on 3/26/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Pretty clever idea I must adimt. If you think about it, you could actually smuggle many different things in something like that, drugs are just one possible use for it. Build a handful of them babies and outfit them with some kind of Remote Control or Guidance System and you've got yourself a pretty covert little operation there!

Given the large amounts of money involved you have to wonder if any of them have thought about purchasing a for real Soviet era diesel/electric submarine and use it to smuggle directly to the United States? In 2000 a 100 foot submarine made of steel was seized. Who really knows for sure?

Well, I can't really say it would shock me all that much if it did in fact happen. After all some of the more Famous Drug Cartel Kings have been known to purchase some rather unique and exotic items along with their typical Small Counties, Giant Estates, Planes, Cars, etc.

However, I don't really see them using such an idea as it would require a great deal of money and resources which just doesn't seem profitable. You'd need trained men who know how to operate a sub. It would be too big to hide and it's not like you can just pull into any old port in a Soviet Sub and pop the hatch without getting some attention. Plus if you did get caught you'd lose large amounts of 'Product' in one risky venture. It's much better to send 1000 small packages across various entry points than to send one whole shipment in one shot, ya know.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This reminds me of the story where they found an almost complete submarine being built up in the mountains for the same use in the drug trade. It's quite amazing. I will try to find that link for you.

www.ineoa.org...

This in the year 2000.
"Take for example the half-built submarine seized by the Columbian National Police last month in a warehouse outside Bogota. Not much in this business surprises me anymore, but this was something special. The submarine had a double hull with a displacement of 150 tons. A submarine of this sophistication might be found in the worlds leading navies. It could have remained submerged for two weeks and smuggled ten metric tons of illicit drugs with a cruising range of 3,000 nautical miles. Although we do not expect submarines to become a common drug smuggling tool, this impressive vessel shows the kind of technology that millions of illicit dollars can buy."

[edit on 3/26/2005 by infinite8]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
A submarine built in the mountains? Isn't that a bit like the guy who built a yacht in jis basement LOL

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
well duhh.why would a submarine used for smuggling be so shocking. i am sure it has been done long before now. hell dureing the canadian cigarette smuggleing of the 80's and 90's i thought a mini sub running across the great lakes would be almost the perfect way to smuggle smokes. i remember hearing a case years ago where a ex-soviet sub was being purchased for smuggling. just proves how inbedded our governments are involved with the drug trade to be able to catch a puchase af a smuggleing vehicle.

the sub in the mountains seems to be rather interesting. they should have let them finish it and see if it would have actualy worked

just thought this would show how weird law enforcement can be.
about 3-4 years ago in pennsilvania i read an artical in one of the papers. it basicaly said how they had started to use a hellicopter to look for "drug farms". and how effective it was. i remeember thinking. "this is a new thing??? hasn't this been s.o.p. for years?

[edit on 26-3-2005 by drogo]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
If I remember right, the book SNOWBLIND or the book COCAINE state that Escobar had bought an old soviet submarine using a German as a middle man to get it to Columbia. I think this may be the sub someone mentioned in a warehouse and displaced 150 tons etc.

It is truelly amazing at what these guys will do to get that peruvian marching powder to the states. Its even more amazing at what DEA agents do to find it. One popular place to hide coke on large ships is in the WASTE holder. Where all the crap and dirty water etc from toilets sinks etc go. The holding tank for waste. They place the coke in there, so if the DEA finds it, they have had to swim through gallons and gallons of turd to find it....ha ha. But anyway, COCAINE by Dominic Streatfeild is an amazing read on the subject.

top topics

join