It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Cheney attempt to use the "Nuclear Option"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Vice President Dick Cheney is attempting to implement what has been called the "Nuclear Option," which would, in effect, disallow fillabustering, thereby allowing the political party with the majority full control over House and Senate decisions. This action would effectively silence the minority party, and allow for a one party system in the United States Government. The right to fillibuster has been in place for well over 200 years, virtually since the country's inception

Senate Democrats formally threatened yesterday to bring the chamber to a virtual standstill if Republicans carry out a plan to change Senate rules and bar filibusters of judicial nominations. The comments, which Republicans quickly denounced, signal that the two parties remain on a collision course whose outcome could be so explosive that it is generally called the "nuclear option."

Democrats have made similar threats in recent interviews and speeches, but yesterday's actions -- including a letter to GOP leaders and a mass gathering on the Capitol's east steps -- marked their biggest effort yet to show solidarity on an issue that many expect to reach a climax next month.

If this was allowed to happen, this would effectively kill the voice of the minority party in the government, and lead us into a one-party system. One step closer to complete unchecked rule by the majority party. This could spell disaster for the United States, as the ability to fillibuster has been one of the things keeping the system of checks and balances in place within the government, and disallowing a single party from taking complete control.

Related News Links:
www.moveonpac.org
www.truthout.org
www.nationalreview.com
www.democrats.us

[edit on 25-3-2005 by obsidian468]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It is amazing that the Republicans could be doing so much more with all of thier power, but they are only using it to secure that power, and stregthen it.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It's even more amazing that a true news article like this has been moved to a BTS forum that nobody bothers to read. thereby stifling news that EVERY American needs to be aware of. I thought that exposing conspiracies was about breaking the rules and standing up for what you believe in, not in stifling information.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Ok so this story got voted up and now it got canned to BTS?
THIS IS NEWS!!
I didn't vote for a story to see it get shunted because of some nebulous reason.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I welcome the change. Filibusters aren't allowed in the House of Representatives, why should they be allowed in the Senate, especially for their advice and consent role? I find the use of the filibuster in that case unconstitutional. Remember Democracy is based on majority rule, not minority rule.

BTW: I posted something on this a while ago here: www.abovetopsecret.com....

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
It is amazing that the Republicans could be doing so much more with all of thier power, but they are only using it to secure that power, and stregthen it.

I was going to post something, but it would have activated Godwin's Law.

top topics

join