It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Worlds Fastest Supercomputer Gets Faster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Blue Gene/L Supercomputer has broken its own speed record at 135.5 Terraflops. The previous record set last year was 70.72 Terraflops. The supercomputer is now being assembled at Lawrence Livermore National Labs for the Department of Energy. At its theoretical peak performance the supercomputer should be able to reach 360 Terraflops.

news.bbc.co.uk
Blue Gene/L, the fastest supercomputer in the world, has broken its own speed record, reaching 135.5 teraflops - a trillion calculations a second.

Blue Gene's new record was achieved by doubling the number of current racks to 32. Each rack holds 1,024 processors, yet the chips are the same as those found in high-end computers on the High Street.

Since the original supercomputer, the Cray-1, was set up at Los Alamos National Laboratory, US, in 1976, computational speed has jumped by 500,000 times.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a huge leap in supercomputer technology. In just a year doubling the speed of an already amazingly fast machine is amazing. This also shows just how fast our technology is moving along if you look at the first supercomputer (Cray 1) which only clocked in at 80 Megaflops.This machine also has another possibly good effect, and that will be how it is used to simulate nuclear explosions, making the need for underground testing obsolete (I hope).

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Blue Gene/L Supercomputer Doubles In Size
Ultrafast Supercomputer To Simulate Nuke Explosion

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Its amazing what these computers can reach... Funny though that they are still not fast enough to be able to emulate human emotions.

Thats where the Quantum computer comes in.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think its really cool that this is being built, and breaking the rocords, but it said that it was achived by adding another rack of off the shelf microprocessors. So it does not really represent any new technology.
Now the quantum computer that the above poster menchened. That will be a neat new technology!!
The only problem is I have been hearing about that one way or another for about 18 years now

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I think its really cool that this is being built, and breaking the rocords, but it said that it was achived by adding another rack of off the shelf microprocessors. So it does not really represent any new technology.

Now the quantum computer that the above poster menchened. That will be a neat new technology!!
The only problem is I have been hearing about that one way or another for about 18 years now

Actually, i believe its much less that that for the creation of the quantum computer, if they haven't secretly made one already
. The 18 years i believe is the estimated time it will take for the quantum computer to get home usage.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ivanglam,
I used the 18 year figuer because that is about when I first heard of real research being done on what was then called Holographic Memery. I think than has evalved to what is now being called the Quantum computers. I cant back that last statement up with a link because it is more speculation on my part. But the point is I have not heard any menchen the the Holographic Memery in a long time, but have heard people talk about the Quantum computing. Which from what I have read about it, is basicaly the same as what was being proposed for the Holographic Memery technology.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The Question is what is the application??

Some may say fast computing is the future but in reality what we need is fast bandwidth and then we would be able to PIPE computational power.

What does this all mean??

Well it means that in the future you won’t have a computer like you have today... everything will be integrated into the surroundings and communicate wirelessly.

The key is that we will have centralised computer banks that process all the information and then send that raw computational power down to the components as and when they require it.

this would lighten the cost of computers as we would no longer require to continually upgrade components and also it would allow for the creation of a real global network where you could go to work in a foreign country just by controlling the environment from afar....

I hope this all makes sense to you all...

The future is wireless and fast computation....

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wireless technology... From what I know of cell phones... Doesn't wireless cause cancer, or the effects unknown or point to cancer?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
An interesting read on one of the leading companies in Quantum tech.

Based in BC, Canada, this company has been able to beat records for the longest functional qubits for a whopping 2.5 microseconds in 2002(with 2 super conducting qubits). If they were able to control 100 qubits, they would have enough power to be billions of times more powerful than all the computers ever made!

Quantum Leap

[edit on 26/3/05 by ivanglam]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Ivanglam,
thant was an interesting read, thanks.
And I still am hopeing that we will soon see a Quantum computer.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Oh, I'm sure we will, soon too. With the way technology advances, we will see it in no time.

new topics

top topics

join