It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Jimmy Carter to Head Commission Examining U.S. Election System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
US former president Jimmy Carter will head a new commission examining US election system. After the controversial 2000 election Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford headed a commission on election reform. The 2002 Help America Vote Act was implimented due to their report. This new group will now see how well that law is working.

www.bloomberg.com
Former President Jimmy Carter, a Democrat and the 2002 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, will head a bipartisan commission to investigate the federal election system in the U.S. and recommend improvements.

Former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker III, a Republican, will co-chair the Commission on Federal Election Reform, according to American University's Center for Democracy and Election Management. Other members include former Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, a Democrat, and former House Minority Leader Bob Michel, a Republican.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Jimmy Carter says he is concerned about the state of our electoral system and thinks it needs improvement. I agree, more people need to get out and vote. The voting systems have to be fair in republican areas and democratic areas. We also need better ways to detect voter and election fraud which seems to be part of atleast the last 2 elections.

I hope we can trust Jimmy Carter to fix the US electoral system.

Related News Links:
www.afsa.org

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The UN used to be allowed to oversee the US elections, that changed after the Bush Administration oddly enough, they were not allowed to oversee the 2002 and 2004 elections. It's about damned time somebody started looking into our electoral system. Carter isn't perfect, but I truly believe he is a good one to be behind this movement.

If you haven't read this thread, please do... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Vote this story through.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
yeahhhhh peanut man....

praise the Lord halleluhiah...

These last two elections made me even more disqusted than the previous 2.
The election system is so corrupt now that some candidates garnered NEGATIVE vote counts... how dat happen?
it can't with an honest election system... and we don't have one...

time to get standardized and get the electronic boxes out of the mix...
Praise the Carter... the Carter is good... even though his brothers beer sucked...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This was done before.. and none of the propsals were ever followed up on. heck the last iraqi election probly was more honest then our last one.

Since republicans with thier majority in the Senate and House are not doing anthing about it. Looks like Democrats are going ot ahve to do something

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Umm, why are we allowing the man who certifies sham elections overseas to examine ours?

www.townhall.com...
www.nationalreview.com...

[edit on 26-3-2005 by jukyu]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Those were informative links...
I don't hold it agains't Carter that he uses diplomacy when talking to other leaders... it is much better to say "our country can work with your country if we seek methods to overcome these things... it is better than thumbing your nose and calling them axis of evil... diplomacy vs cowboyism...
i'll take diplomacy... get more with sugar than vinegar... you know how it goes...

but Now that James Baker has been added to the group... i feel that nothing will get done...

we really need an honest oversight commitee that is above reproach.
carter is a start, but he barely fits the bill.

new topics

top topics

join