It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anxiety problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
hi there, anyone is suffering from anxiety problem here?

Some typical anxiety responses:

unpleasant body sensations (heart pounding, sweating, tense muscles, dry throat, shaking, feeling or being sick, dizziness)
inability to concentrate
worrying thoughts or unpleasant memories coming into your mind
intense dislike or fear of some situations and therefore avoidance of them (e.g. talking to people you don’t know, walking in the street, being in a tutorial class)
panic attacks coming out of the blue, and once one has happened fearing that another will strike at any time
disturbed sleep, with unpleasant dreams or nightmares

www.dundee.ac.uk...

I have viewed some webbie online, but they didn't really state how anxiety can be cured. Beside seeing physchiatric solution, is there any other options? Is seeing physchiatris recommended?

I have searched in this forum and found other people using St. Johns Wort, can i buy this drug outside the USA?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
i deal with this stuff too. just keep your slef busy, get up early in the morning, exercise, stuff like that. i used to spend all my time on the comp and and watching tv. when i had my attacks i would start shaking, and even had to be taken to the hospital once it was so bad.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
hmm, u never consult a physchiatrics? i mean....life is quite miserable with those attacks going on...

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I know a bit about this, my friend has it, and I had it for 3 months , I had all the symptoms you have and I tried everything, except medication, I would get dizzy, my heart would pound fast, I would be afraid, etc.what helped me overcome it was 2 things.
First I started exercising, it took all my stress away, hated to exercise but it really did take every bit of tension from my body, and made it relaxed. The second thing I did was keep a journal of how I felt that day, and wrote down all my good feelings and bad feelings I had. I soon found out that I was having more bad thoughts because I was continually worried about having anxiety. So, I started to focus more on the good things I had instead of worrying all the time. When I found myself starting to worry I got busy, listened to music.(my saving grace) exercised and it worked for me, maybe it may work for you.
Good-Luck

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I remember being agoraphobic back 25, 30 years ago.

It has gradually gotten better, till now it isn't really a problem.

when anxious you might try just a tiny little bit of shortening up your nose, sometimes that has calmed me down, especially when too anxious to sleep. (when your are tired and too anxious to sleep its a b----.)

I doubt this will solve it, but might help. Can definitely empathize with anxiety.

What gets really crazy is trying to instigate anxiety when you get bored. My life is pretty strange i guess.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
hmmm my problem is more of the mild type, however i sweat very easily, i got nervous easily.

then the worst part: i would pant and my heart pump like nuts at night when i could not sleep. i feel cold and dying. this feeling is horrible, it is like u got a feeling that u won't live till tomorrow. The problem is , i cannot control this feeling.

Yup i tried exercising to make myself tired but this feeling cannot go on forever in my life, i just feel that i am not living like a normal human being already. i cannot sleep well and do things i wanted.

What should i do? should i really seek medical professionals?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Go to the local chinese herbalists, get some chinese herbs or have acupuncture, or a massage, or the easy way out is to drink lots of beer :w:

St Johns wart is available outside the US.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Peace]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
ahah, i tried not to drink deer .... maybe i will try to see some medical professionals ...hope they help

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You mean like waking up in the middle of the night, gasping for air, heart pounding like you are having a heart attack, in a cold sweat, or burning up, having to stick your head out the window to get some air because you feel like you are was suffocating? Yeah, I know that feeling.

I have been able to control anxiety through breathing and self-distraction. The first thing I had to do, though, was go to the doctor to get a complete physical to make sure that I wasn't actually dying. Of course, there was nothing wrong with me....

Once I knew that it was all "in my head", I was able to control the anxiety response. When I would become anxious, I would practice four-square breathing (breathe in for four seconds, hold for four seconds, breathe out for four seconds, hold for four seconds, repeat), and then when I felt more relaxed, I would always have a book at the side of my bed & I would read until I fell asleep. Sometimes I would also watch TV with the sleep timer on until it lulled me back to sleep.

That helps treat the symptoms, but you still have to deal with the bigger issue of why you are feeling anxious. Sometimes it is staring you right in the face--work, a relationship, terrorist attacks, anthrax in the mail, but if it isn't so easy to figure out, talking to a therapist can sometimes help.

If you are going to seek help, note that psychiatrists these days are quick to prescribe meds, and you might want to try talk therapy first. A CSW or psychologist might be a better way to go as a first step.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
yes yes yes , that r my problems....oh gosh it makes my life like hell...basically i think it is because of stress in my study....i am very ambitious, i wanted to get into the best university, get into medical school....and get my phD degree......i want the best of everything....then i got worried...whether i got the ability to get those i wanted....i am worried about money problem ... my school works....works load and so on.... i tried to tell myself to relax...and did all kinda of breathing exercise but it does not help.....

Ya it is all related back to the brain...as long as i can control my brain..everything settle...for 2 years i tried to control.....when those heart beating fast and dying feeling come.....i tried to think of nice scenery like the ocean....birds flying...i tried to listen to relaxing songs ......and let myself asleep.....but it is no use...

Most of the time ....when all this happened, the whole week was disrupted...i became very moody , exhausted.....

I don't know what to do....i think seeking out medical professionals are the only choice i have now.....this cannot carry on forever...i am still 18.....

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I can see why you are freaking out--that's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. Worry can really get the best of you when you are super ambitious and are afraid of making the wrong decisions and not being "good" enough. When you get older, you'll realize that there are certain things you just can't control, so worrying doesn't make sense... of course, you have to go through a whole lot of worrying until you make this realization.

It isn't uncommon to feel overwhelmed at this point in your life--just keep in mind that you are still young and the future isn't set, so try not to get all stressed out about things that may happen years from now. After a few years in college, you may decide that you want to become a professional race car driver or take up basketweaving instead of becoming a doctor and all of this worry was for naught.

I think that your instincts are right on and that you probably would get a lot out of talking to a therapist--it sounds like you have a lot on your mind and need to get things sorted out. Good luck & u2u me if you want to talk....

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hi hrtw,

I have suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and have pretty much overcome it. In also being a lay nutritionist, here are some tips on overcoming any anxiety disorder as well as overall good health advice:

1. Cut down on your intake of sugar. Give up fruit juices for a while. Sugar can trigger an anxiety attack -- even a day later. Avoid it as much as you can.

2. Eat lots of raw vegetables. Especially: eat at least one large salad a day with shredded carrots, celery and leafy lettuce (but not iceberg lettuce, as that has zero nutritional value).

3. Eliminate pork and ham from your diet.

4. Eliminate all soft drinks and candy from your diet.

5. Eliminate all stimulants like caffeinated coffee from your diet. Green tea is okay but only if you get the decaffeinated version.

6. Eat beef sparingly and never past the late afternoon because it puts a strain on your body to digest it when you are asleep. You need to sleep well in order to heal.

7. Drink lots of spring or filtered water daily that is of room temperature. With each meal, have a little freshly squeezed lemon juice added in a glass of water (with no ice). This greatly aids in digestion.

8. Start taking (marine based) coral calcium at 1500 mg. a day. Calcium is what the body uses to regulate the heartbeat. It also helps to fight stress and provide relaxation naturally.

9. Start taking Vitamin E daily. Start with a 100 IU capsule a day and gradually work up to a 400 IU capsule per day. This also helps one fight stress and aid in heart function, as well as to lower blood pressure.

10. Start taking Ester-C daily. Take at least two 500 mg. capsules a day. This not only helps prevent illness but is also a good heart vitamin.

11. Start taking a garlic supplement. Test the products to find one that does not cause you any gastric distress, stomach upset or bad aftertaste. Garlic also greatly helps the heart as well as to provide a plethora of other benefits to the body.

12. Start a low impact exercise program that you can do for twenty minutes, three times a week.

13. Learn the ancient Chinese system of self-healing (which is over five thousand years old) known as Qigong (pronounced chi-gong) and do it for at least ten minutes a day. This alone will greatly help you overcome ANY anxiety disorder.

14. Once you start noticing a positive difference from doing all of the above, end your intake of all medication for depression and anxiety.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
thanks guy, ya i will try out some medical professional help first.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Get a prescription for an anxiolytic such as Valium.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
In our fast-food, "quick fix" society, there is always the temptation to succumb to taking prescription tranquilizer drugs for anxiety and/or depression.

However, the gentler, safe approach that I have outlined above, enables one to completely avoid the drug treadmill while overcoming depression and anxiety disorders naturally.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
When your heart pounds breathe into a brown paper bag..always works!
Works for anxiety,hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
hmmm ok i will try thanks guy.....but hopefully i won't take medicine...i heard that they are addictive and causes side effect

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Another sufferer here!

I also suffer from anxiety ranging from mild to extreme at certain points in my life. I followed a similar pattern to Paul_Richard's.

I'd like to suggest taking Fennel Tea or Tea as a replacement to Coffee (even though I still have one in the morning). Also you can take certain herbs like Macca, Damiana and Camomile for stress.

As far as diets go, I started eating plenty of spinach and romaine lettuce. Buy a juicer and make your own juices for the occasional treat.

Drink LOTS of water while taking your nutrients, water acts as your transport system.

Consider taking Omega 3 supplements, but nothing beats the organic bulk flax seeds.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I had severe anxiety problems AND night terrors while growing up.

Because there was no underlying pathology (I'm not chronically depressed, it was just the stress of growing up as a very unusual person in a household that did not encourage alternate role models (I wanted to be a scientist. Women (in my family) are to be mommies. Period.))

I grew out of it after a number of years of marriage to an adorable man (we're still married 32 years later, btw.) But it did take getting out of the environment to make real progress.

I did talk to a therapist briefly, who reassured me that my wishes (to be something more than a household domestic) were normal and commendable, and that helped.

Talk to friends and counselors (I would recommend that you avoid counselors with an agenda -- and that would include ALL religious counselors until after you decide what your own philosphy is. The Christians who "helped" me when I had problems actually aggravated the situation.)

You may not need meds or diet. You may just need getting out of a stressful situation.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Yes I begain having intense anxiety problems known as panic disorder following a traumatic assult that left me with ptsd. There are medications to help control the symptoms as well as behavior modification approaches that work quite well. If you are not already working with someone one to one, you may want to work with a therapist and/or in a group.

Don't be afraid or shy as you would be surprised how many people deal with this daily. I wish you the best and hope you will be ok.

new topics

top topics

join