It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upload file size quota

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Oh how I wish I could use ATS points to allow me to upload file sizes above 100 k! So many pdf's are 101 k and above and thats no good!

Even being able to zip em up would be nice but we can't upload zips. I'd be willing to pay a buttload of points to be able to zip up a bunch of pdfs and then upload them as a single file over 100 k, that'd be great! it'd be useful too for discussions involving lots of different resources, you could upload a 'data pak' of jpgs and text and pdfs, and then just link to it, so anyone wanting to follow along could just download and unzip the zip.

But at least it'd be great to be able to buy bigger file sizes for the upload!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
In the ATS Store, you can buy upload space by increments of 10K.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Edit the pdfs.

Files over 100k, if they became popular, would suck the life out of the server. It works nice because nothing is really big at any given time. Although a purchasing ability might be nice, I think the idea is to not make the member center into a webhosting center.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
In the ATS Store, you can buy upload space by increments of 10K.

Yes but thats the total size you are allowed to have, not the amount you can upload at once. You can only upload files under 100 k in size. You can upload a couple thousand of them of them tho.

amorymeltzer
Although a purchasing ability might be nice, I think the idea is to not make the member center into a webhosting center

Understandable and reasonable enough. Certainly can't 'trust' people to use it properly.

Maybe a sensible compromise would be to be able to pay a fee in ats points for a one time upload file size increase? So if I try to upload a 200K file i can pay, like 40,000 points to do it once?

Anyone else willing to pay prohibitively high prices for stuff like that? I think that'd really limit it, you'd have to really be an active member to get those points, and you'd have to have good reason for it, so there might not be much abuse?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Sorry this is a little off topic but...
What happends when you "Turn on low-bandwidth mode.?"

[edit on 26-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It would be great to have the ability to upload large files directly to ATS but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

If you have large files to share you'll have to use a third party service.

Here's a few good ones that don't require registration either to upload or to download:

rapidshare allows files of any type that are up to 30MB in size.
The files only expire if they remain unaccessed for 30 days or you decide to delete it yourself. There is a short wait time to download files.
Try this collection of old political toons and posters I just uploaded:
War_posters_and_drawings.zip
Just click the button that says 'Free' opposite 'select your download'.

Another one that takes large files of any type is yousendit .
Yousendit will let you upload files up to 1GB in size but they do expire after a short number of downloads and a short time period (days?).

If you just need to upload video or pictures, you can use putfile
They allow pictures up to 2MB each or video files of up to 10MB each.
Files will remain online for up to six months after an access. As long as it is accessed at least once every six months it will remain online.

For just images, you can use imageshack for pictures up to 1MB each. The images that you upload do not expire.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You could always ask a mod or other staff person to upload it for you... Staff has no upload limit as far as I know, save for the 25 Mbs to play around with.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I cant answer for the admin's but if you look at the numbers on the main index page, you can just imagine the load on the server already.

EventH,

"low-bandwith mode" is for users who might have a slow connection, it is just bare text without the bells and whistles. No avatars, background images, etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
40k, nygdan? That would indeed put a damper on things. Anything that important, you could find something else. Hell, you could buy a domain, it'd probably be more cost-effective (what with time equalling money and all)

Great Links, AoB

EDIT: I downloaded the images. It's kind of sad, but I've seen pretty much all of them already through various textbooks and stuff. They're all the good ones.

[edit on 3/27/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Photobucket?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Oh I already have one of those great photobucket pages

photobucket.com...

I was specifically thinking of some pdfs I have on freely available essays and such (but not necessarily ones that can be linked to). I suppose I'll just have to use a different site for it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Oh I already have one of those great photobucket pages

photobucket.com...

I was specifically thinking of some pdfs I have on freely available essays and such (but not necessarily ones that can be linked to). I suppose I'll just have to use a different site for it.

Great pics Nygdan, what kind of camera are you using? The pics from Morgan park are very good. Lighting seemed to work out for you that day

join