It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SARS may spread through air, studies find (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
According to recent studies, scientists believe that SARS may spread not only with direct human contact, but through the air. Although they(scientists) say there is no direct proof the virus may be airborne, but because of its rapid spreading, SARS being called an airborne virus is quite viable.

www.cbc.ca
TORONTO - Two new studies have found evidence that the virus causing severe acute respiratory syndrome may spread through the air, not just through direct human contact, as was previously believed.

Patient information and environmental samples were collected from the SARS units of four Toronto hospitals.

SARS coronavirus was detected in the air in one of the four rooms tested. The researchers also detected the virus in four of 85 surface samples taken from frequently touched surfaces.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is true, and the virus is airborne, or has mutated into airborne(i don't know how viruses work) then this means we are in deep trouble of another outbreak. Then again the virus could have affected other smaller life organisms in the air, which again means we are in for another outbreak. This totally shocked me because i though the SARS virus was contained and totally gone... I guess not.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So if this is true the virus should be a global one by now. Just one coughing carrier on a crowded airline flight would spread it to hundreds and those hundreds have the potential to spread it quite fast. If it is almost everywhere us with a good immune system will build strong anti-bodies or something else to fight it(anti-bodies dont fight viruses) the rest will just have to cough it out.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I really liked that movie Outbreak. You guys should see it if you haven't already. Raises an interesting question though. Say a city was contaminated and had to be quarintined... what then? Everyone is sick. Those who aren't would get sick by being in proximity of those who are. If the disease is incureable, how would the government deal with the city?
-S

join