It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank You Germany & France...for the knife in the back!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Anger. Bring up the name "America" at any French Canadians family party and watch the hatred flow. Ive seen people literally foaming at the mouth trying to express their hatred for America...The only thing that unites Quebec, is their hatred of America.

I don't think Québécois would be shopping in Plattsburgh year long if they hated America... or taking their vacation in Florida. That being said, there are some Québécois who do hate Americans, but let's not generalize. A lot of them just disagree with American policy and the arrogance a number of Americans show in their understanding of other nations. Of course, being told that because you speak French, even though you're Canadian, makes you suspicious, does nothing to improve relations.

However... when September 11 happened, Québec premier Bernard Landry was among the first to say that "when something terrible happens to people like our neighbors to the south, people in Québec unite and offer sympathy."

Confused: IMO, if you hate America.....as over 50% of French Canadians do, than your morally confused. How can anyone Hate a great nation like ours? We're spilling our blood to kill the bad guys so the good guys can get a chance......freeing millions of woman all around the world.....building schools for the kids...feeding the hungry.

First of all... if you call "hate" the act of disapproving of a number of elements of US policy, then I guess more than 50 percent of French Canadians "hate" America. But look, we have the right to disagree, don't we? I'm the first to applaud the good things the US does in this world - and it does do a lot - but look, Americans need to understand that French Canadians - or other people for that matter - will not always be in absolute awe before what the US does. And disagreement is NOT hate.

I am from Québec as well... and seriously, there is a big difference between hating a government and hating the people living within the country who have this government. Hell, I hate Jean Charest as much as about anyone in Québec... and he is the prime-minister of Québec. That doesn't mean I hate myself now does it for living here.

Same thing; we hate Bush, but that doesn't make us hate any of the people of the U.S. This would be a nonsense. I still take my vacations in the U.S.A in the now democrat New Hampshire.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeffrey Dahmer
Name one good thing the U.S done in the world in the last 40 years.

Well, I'm getting off work right now, so real quick, we give billions of dollars in aid all over the world. I will list more when I get home from the gym.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Name one good thing the U.S done in the world in the last 40 years.

Well, I'm getting off work right now, so real quick, we give billions of dollars in aid all over the world. I will list more when I get home from the gym.

In ratio, alot less then most industrial nations of the planet. Cause you know, that's something about all governments of all industrialised countries have done.

So it ain't nothing special.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   

In ratio, alot less then most industrial nations of the planet. Cause you know, that's something about all governments of all industrialised countries have done.

Ratio is meaningless, you asked if the U.S. has done anything good for the rest of the world, the bottom line is we give more money in aid than any other nation on earth, that's good, no matter how you spin it.

That's extremely cynical as well as downright ungrateful, to say the country that gives the most money to those in need "ain't nothing special" is beyond comprehension. But I guess coming from somebody who admires serial killers and cannibals, compassion is probably not high on the priority list. I wouldn't expect Albert Fish to worry about those in need, he'd just shove more needles in his groin and send letters to the families of his victims detailing how they died, right? But that's off topic I guess. Here's some info on U.S. aid in comparison, if you care to read it, even though it ain't nothing special.

Almost all rich nations fail this obligation

Even though these targets and agendas have been set, year after year almost all rich nations have constantly failed to reach their agreed obligations of the 0.7% target. Instead of 0.7%, the amount of aid has been around 0.2 to 0.4%, some $100 billion short.

In addition some interesting observations can be made. For example:

* USA’s aid, in terms of percentage of their GNP has almost always been lower than any other industrialized nation in the world, though paradoxically in the last four years, their dollar amount has been the highest. (Only in 2004 did they move up from last place by one.)
* Since 1992, Japan had been the largest donor of aid, in terms of raw dollars. That was until 2001 when the United States reclaimed that position, a year that also saw Japan’s amount of aid drop by nearly 4 billion dollars (as tables and charts below will also show).

Official Development Assistance (ODA) from 2001 to 2004 ODA in U.S. Dollars (Millions) ODA as GNP Percentage
Country 2001 2002 2003 2004 2001 2002 2003 2004
1. Australia 852 962 1,237 1,465 0.25 0.25 0.25 0.25
2. Austria 457 475 503 691 0.25 0.23 0.2 0.24
3. Belgium 866 1,061 1,887 1,452 0.37 0.42 0.61 0.41
4. Canada 1,572 2,013 2,209 2,537 0.23 0.28 0.26 0.26
5. Denmark 1,599 1,632 1,747 2,025 1.01 0.96 0.84 0.84
6. Finland 389 466 556 655 0.33 0.35 0.34 0.35
7. France 4,293 5,182 7,337 8,475 0.34 0.36 0.41 0.42
8. Germany 4,879 5,359 6,694 7,497 0.27 0.27 0.28 0.28
9. Greece 194 295 356 464 0.19 0.22 0.21 0.23
10. Ireland 285 397 510 586 0.33 0.41 0.41 0.39
11. Italy 1,493 2,313 2,393 2,484 0.14 0.2 0.16 0.15
12. Japan 9,678 9,220 8,911 8,859 0.23 0.23 0.2 0.19
13. Luxembourg 142 143 189 241 0.8 0.78 0.8 0.85
14. Netherlands 3,155 3,377 4,059 4,235 0.82 0.82 0.81 0.74
15. New Zealand 111 124 169 210 0.25 0.23 0.23 0.23
16. Norway 1,346 1,746 2,043 2,200 0.83 0.91 0.92 0.87
17. Portugal 267 282 298 1,028 0.25 0.24 0.21 0.63
18. Spain 1,748 1,608 2,030 2,547 0.3 0.25 0.25 0.26
19. Sweden 1,576 1,754 2,100 2,704 0.76 0.74 0.7 0.77
20. Switzerland 908 933 1,297 1,379 0.34 0.32 0.38 0.37
21. United Kingdom 4,659 4,749 6,166 7,836 0.32 0.3 0.34 0.36
22. United States 10,884 12,900 15,791 18,999 0.11 0.12 0.14 0.16

Source: OECD Web site
www.globalissues.org...

[edit on 26-4-2005 by 27jd]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Same thing; we hate Bush, but that doesn't make us hate any of the people of the U.S. This would be a nonsense. I still take my vacations in the U.S.A in the now democrat New Hampshire.

If you hate President Bush, than you Hate most of America.

He's a little slow at times and back-door Democrat, but he's OURS. We gave him the power to do what it takes to make America safe.

Max

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
GOOD GOD MAXIMUS - LOOK AT ALL THAT BLUE IN TEXAS OF ALL PLACES!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
...So wait, you want them to be your female dogs because of an act you HELPED do in 1941 , if thats so shouldnt you be thier female dogs since they helped you in the revolutionary war?

Also you twisting your "greatest, bestest best pal in the whole wide world"'s arm to stop it from happening, if you didnt notice they are putting restrictions on the sales.

Also it would be OUR soldiers dieing to or do you believe we wouldnt follow our close ally the US into war?

they showed up in the very last battle. I would hardly call that helping. However, it is their choice, which I am sure they will have to pay for at some point. Like when the EU along with the US goes to war with China, and they are being killed with their own weapons.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
and you can wonder why it is impossible for an American to get laid abroad.

I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of this post because, frankly, I do not agree, and no ammount of arguing on either side is going to change either of our beliefs.

As for that, I have proven that statement wrong exactly 14 times

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of this post because, frankly, I do not agree, and no ammount of arguing on either side is going to change either of our beliefs.

As for that, I have proven that statement wrong exactly 14 times

lol, why would we want to get laid abroad? I prefer to sleep with women who have, at the very minimum, decent hygene.

JAK

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

Originally posted by American Mad Man

I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of this post because, frankly, I do not agree, and no ammount of arguing on either side is going to change either of our beliefs.As for that, I have proven that statement wrong exactly 14 times
lol, why would we want to get laid abroad? I prefer to sleep with women who have, at the very minimum, decent hygene.

Ok, playtime's over back to the topic at hand please.

Jack

[edit on 27/4/05 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
they showed up in the very last battle. I would hardly call that helping.

So?
The size and ammount does not matte, its the symbolic fact that they did send troops over to die with you.

However, it is their choice, which I am sure they will have to pay for at some point. Like when the EU along with the US goes to war with China, and they are being killed with their own weapons.

Hardly, china is on the other side of the planet.....are they going to start patroling the mediteranian sea?
Start patroling the north sea?
The only reason china and the US will go to war is taiwan, and taiwan wants to just live in peace....aka status quo.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Last boarding call for flight 765 to reality oh dear it looks like LA_Maximus missed the flight in the mean time some people can take a preview of reality
here

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

As far as the French being good fighters...if you spent more time listening to your history teacher and less time goofing off, you will find the last time the French fought well was under Napoleon.

Maximu§

That's frankly an offensive statement. In WW1 France lost 1,357,800 soldiers. At Verdun alone they lost 362,000 men (many sources put the death toll high as 542,000) in less than year in and around the fortress itself! To say that those young (and old) men fought poorly is an insult to their memory.

The colossal loss of life scarred the national consciousness of France and goes a long way to explain that when they were attacked in WW2 (by, at the time, the most aggressive and militaristic nation on the planet) their rapid defeat.

Let's also not forget that France also lost 245,000 soldiers and 350,000 civilians during WW2.

Sorry for careering off topic but I felt this had to be pointed out.

(Vive la France!)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
DenyAllKnowledge: People who argue for America's supreme goodness and their magnificent war-time achievements tend to not let themselves get hung up on "facts" and "historical accounts".

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Here you can read about a French Anti-Terror operation; for those with a short memory

Bandit, Im certainly not questioning the bravery of the French anit-terror units, but I do question why France and Germany would stab America in the back for a few shillings?

Looks to this old soldier like China is preparing for an offensive war and I would prefer they fight with the Russian CRAP they have or copied, instead of high-tech European weapons.

Im talking about the selling of high performance aircraft, anti-ship missiles, drone technology, air-to-air missiles and jamming equipment. etc etc.

If China wants to play this game....Maybe we should arm Taiwan with F-22 Raptors, 688i Attack sub's, DDG-51 destroyers and our best ABM system.

Max

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

If China wants to play this game....Maybe we should arm Taiwan with F-22 Raptors, 688i Attack sub's, DDG-51 destroyers and our best ABM system.

Max

Yeah, would be a good one, but please don't forget Tibet, they are even more in need. But point of all is that Europe just wants to establish itself as a trade partner, so it plays its cards. As you maybe remember, there are a lot more than 1 billion people in China, even selling every one of them one grain of rice every day would make you a multi-millionaire over the year. So please, for the sake of whoever, don't forget it's always about money, and it's all Western countries which are playing dirty games. Weapons or not is not the point, it's just one very profitable bussines out of many others, like drug trafficking or oil, you name it. But the whole deal is not about weapons at all, but about looking nice and friendly to the Chinese to get the possibility to sell them just about anything in the near future, and god knows they want it. You ever read about how much steel from the crapyard the Chinese are buying all over the world? I think I remember even the steel from the ruins of WTC was bought by them, in just a few years they'll buy anything you offer, because they will be strong enough to pay for it. And if you got something to sell them, you gonna be a rich girl!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
One thing LA, we are not selling them high tech and high performance jets.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Ratio is meaningless, you asked if the U.S. has done anything good for the rest of the world, the bottom line is we give more money in aid than any other nation on earth, that's good, no matter how you spin it.

That's extremely cynical as well as downright ungrateful, to say the country that gives the most money to those in need "ain't nothing special" is beyond comprehension. But I guess coming from somebody who admires serial killers and cannibals, compassion is probably not high on the priority list. I wouldn't expect Albert Fish to worry about those in need, he'd just shove more needles in his groin and send letters to the families of his victims detailing how they died, right? But that's off topic I guess. Here's some info on U.S. aid in comparison, if you care to read it, even though it ain't nothing special.

They help the nations they have destroyed, solve the problems they have created.

I guess it's only fair.

You want cynical, there I am

... but indeed, as I was saying and my point stand. The U.S ain't doing nothing, absolutely nothing good in the world...

What did you do for Haïti? For the Tsunami? Compared to Canada, you sent em sugarless candybar.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Jeffrey Dahmer]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I think that's somewhat too simplistic. I would never say that someone who despises my Prime minister despises most of my country... I don't like him, I voted for him because he's the lesser of two evils, and I suspect a good number of Americans voted for Bush for the same reason. Disapproval of a leader doesn't mean disapproval of the country itself.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join