It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Shroud of Turin Theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

SPOKANE, Wash. - Nathan Wilson is an English teacher with no scientific training, but he thinks he knows how the piece of linen revered by many as Jesus' burial cloth was made. And he thinks it's not a physical sign of the Resurrection.

The Shroud of Turin is a linen cloth, about 14 feet long and 3 feet wide, that has been kept in the city of Turin, Italy, since 1578. It bears the image of a man with wounds similar to those suffered by Jesus. Believers say it was used to wrap Christ after he was taken off the cross.

The English instructor believes a medieval forger could have painted the image of a crucified man on a pane of glass, laid it on the linen, then left it outside in the sun to bleach the cloth for several days. As the linen lightened, the painted image of the man remained dark on the cloth, creating the equivalent of a photo negative.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I am of those who beleive this is either a fake (meaning it was intentionally made to deceive people into thinking that this is the cloth that Jesus was wrapped in after his death), or it's just actual cloth from an actual burial with an actual human imprint on it, but just not Jesus's.

But this new theory about it being created by painting on a pane of glass is new to me. Very interesting

[edit on 25-3-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm not buying this new "theory", although it is interesting and shows the author has a good imagination.
Is there any science to back up the guys claim? Or is just looking for 5 minutes of fame among the shroud conspiracists?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I'm not buying this new "theory", although it is interesting and shows the author has a good imagination.
Is there any science to back up the guys claim? Or is just looking for 5 minutes of fame among the shroud conspiracists?

I'm going with the "fame" idea myself. The article argued that the bleaching effect would have greatly faded after so many years, especially if left in the light (which the shroud has many times) and the shroud has no faded much at all since it went public.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I fully believe in the Shroud of Turin - it's a shroud and it is (usually) in Turin. I don't believe any of the rest of the stories about it, though.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i can recall hearing that the shoud was like most artifacts a fraud. that it was painted by someone as far back as the back in the eighties. personaly i think the only wa to know for sure is for christ to come back and tell us one way or the other. not only can't i see that happening, but if it were to happen most would call it a hoax anyway.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
i think the bit about the glass is the only new bit of the theroy as it has already been suggested that shrouds could be an early form of photography for the dead by other therists

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
lol pisky hows life evrything ok in america or have you moved back to cornwall yet?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The Shroad is a fake.
1 Its been carbon dated to the Middle Ages
2 The image should be stretched
3 It looks like DaVincis Self-Portrait

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
From what I have found out from being a christian and studying the Bible and other sources Jesus was buried in strips of cloth and a shawl was wrapped around His head. The strips of cloth were covered with aloes and myrrh. This hardened after a while. When the disciples came to the empty tomb they saw the shawl folded a certain way and laying there. They also saw an empty shell of these strips which hardened. When Christ rose from the dead He passed through this shell which remained in the same position when He was in it. He wasn't unwrapped from these strips by Himself or anyone else, He passed through them and they remained "puffed up" and hard somewhat like a coccoon. I believe the shroud is a fake.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
no they found DNA on the cloth, it was blood.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Interesting theory mpeake. I suppose this method could have been used to create the Shroud but as someone had posted earlier, I believe that the image would have faded over time. Perhaps we will never know exactly how this shroud was created but we have to admit that it is a pretty amazing artifact.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Dear all,

May I suggest you reading the Christ Clone Trilogy by James Beauseigner.

As a work of fiction it uses a rather interesting theory re: the Shroud.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

How does that prove that it belonged to Jesus? I don't think there is anything to compare it to. Was there some "miraculous" property of the blood that makes it divine?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

How does that prove that it belonged to Jesus? I don't think there is anything to compare it to. Was there some "miraculous" property of the blood that makes it divine?

It was probably wine!

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If you said, "in a cloth" I'm sorry that's not the correct answer and you haven't won the eternal prize. Might I suggest some reading material before the final round?

[edit on 31-3-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
no it just means that it wasn't painted.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Ryan,

What makes you say that?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Dbrandt has it correct as to how people were buried in the olde days. They were wrapped in strips. Ointments and unguents rubbed on thier bodies ..strips overlaid with more ointments and unguents. We are talking about alot of hardened material here. Pounds and pounds of this hardened material. This is a view often overlooked in this discussion for all other types of research followed by speculation. I for one dont think the Shroud is the real deal.
As someone else posted...dating is to the middle ages.

Thanks Orangetom

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Make your own Shroud of Turin

Shroud of Truro more like !

[edit on 17-4-2005 by 0951]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join