It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less exercise is 'just as good'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
People may be able to exercise less with the same results
Spending extra hours working out in the gym can be a waste of time according to new research.
A University of Glamorgan study found the amount of time spent at the gym could be cut by up to two thirds with the same level of fitness achieved.

The study involving male weightlifters found it was unproductive to spend large amounts of time training.

The researchers said the results were good news for those who have little time to exercise.

People still battling to the gym every night to stick to New Year resolutions could be wasting their time according to report author Dr Julien Steven Baker.

The findings may apply to other forms of exercise

He said: "This study indicates that it is counter-productive to spend hours at the gym and that a shorter work-out can achieve exactly the same results."

The university's Health and Exercise Science Unit looked at male recreational weight lifters over eight weeks with some doing three times as much exercise as others.

While both training groups improved their muscular strength and decreased body fat, there was no difference found between the men in each group, meaning the same results could be achieved in a third of the time.

The researchers said the findings could apply to forms of exercise other than weightlifting.

Dr Baker added: "It's quality over quantity. It means that it may be you can spend less time in the gym as long as the exercise you are doing is intense.

"Many fitness classes are now shorter in duration and promise results in quicker times and there is much research in the field to suggest that... shorter high intensity work outs can achieve maximum results in shorter periods.

"This kind of research may see a change in the way we exercise and that it may be better to do a number of regular express workouts, which would fit in with the busy lives that many people lead.

"Anyone starting up should make sure they have a good exercise programme drawn up rather than just spending lots of time in the gym.

"To someone starting to exercise, I would recommend they spend less time in the gym and when they are there to concentrate on technique."

Link to BBC Article

MOD EDIT: to add article link.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
my thought is ...

God is so great that he planned everthing... now that being said.

we're born, hour hearts only have so many beats in them, so the more exercise you do, the more your heart beats, thus shortening you life....

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
No need to worrie, even when you die your heart is the youngest musle of the body.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Can you please post the link to this story. Thanks. If true, I would love to start training even less than I already do.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If I look around in my gym, both to the weightlifters and the aerobic people, I would say that for many indeed it doesn't matter for these folks if they train twice a week 15 minutes or 7 times a week 2 hours, because their training lacks intensity!!!

Back in Arnold heydays, twice a day was pretty common! And how many miles do marathonrunners burn for trainingsession ? The study might fit the average joe, but I feel an ambitious or professional athlete has to put more work in than that.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
sorry, forgot the damn link, lol, thanks to the mod for adding it for me

[edit on 25/3/05 by Creative_Seeker]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wow, sorry I have to disagree - partially..

Just another way that our society is becoming lazier.

A good workout plan is 3 - 4 times a week, focusing on two different areas:

A) Upper Body
B) Lower Body

That's about it, plus aerobics (jump rope, sports, running, etc.)

That'll get you in a good condition.

However, lessening workouts? Don't really agree with it. =/

-wD

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I disagree with this. I lost a lot of muscle mass due to taking prednisolone for my lupus. In order to get back to normal size I had to do intense long workouts shocking the muscle, and i assume the same would apply for someone wanting to get big and ripped. This article seems to only apply to average man tbh.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
As the PT stud that Iam

I would totally disagree with the article

Maybe for the average joe that just wants to burn them calories
and not get fat or keep that heart pumping...yeah its great

but for someone trying to gain mass or run marathons...no!!

I have ran 3 marathons in the past three years, and I could have trained more than what I did....and wish I would have

Pro body builders have been doing this for years, down to a science....
Some Dr's "test" cant overrule years of expierence (spelling)

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   

People still battling to the gym every night to stick to New Year resolutions could be wasting their time according to report author Dr Julien Steven Baker.

This article was directed at the 'average joe', I doubt pro athletes struggle to get to the gym and do it just because they made a new years resolution.

top topics

join