It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns don't kill people, doctors do

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Doctors and Guns

Doctors:
A. The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
B. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
C. Accidental deaths per physician is just over 17%

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now Guns:
A. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80
Million.)
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is
C. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .00188%.

Statistics courtesy of F.B.I.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous
than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE
DOCTOR!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat immediately. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!! Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek
medical attention.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
ROTFLMFAO

So good to see someone else with a sense of humour!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Do you have a family doctor ? If so, when was the last time you've been to the office ? Do you go regularly ?

Do you really believe that we'd be better off without doctors ?

What if you had loved ones who were ill, what would you do, just let them be sick, possibly die ?

now seriously.... I see what you're doing here with your post... but banning guns is not the answer, we need to get rid of Stupid people who have guns...

[edit on 25-3-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I actually work in the medical field, and got to see coronary bypass surgery performed a couple of months ago. The patient started having problems, and they used the defibliator on him...Or planned to. However, someone had replaced it with a pistol, and the doctor accidently shot the guy in the chest. Crazy doctor practical jokes!

(FYI, with the exception of the first sentance, this whole post is ficticious. After all, how do you use a defibliator on someone who's chest has been cracked open and is exposed for the world to see?)

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes, this post is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I think it does make a valid point about responsible gun ownership.

I don't think doctors are responsible for the problems with modern medicine. I think the whole philosophy of 'managed medicine' is flawed. Taking decisions out of the doctor - patient relationship and putting them in the hands of corporate establishments more concerned with profit than mortality is the problem.

Yes, I do have significant medical issues, and I make informed decisions about my care to the best of my ability with the help of my doctors medical opinions. His business is, after all, called a medical practice.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

After all, how do you use a defibliator on someone who's chest has been cracked open and is exposed for the world to see?

They made special defibrillators for direct contact with the heart. Thet look kinda like spoons. Its actually more effective then external defibrillation.

[edit on 25/3/05 by Skibum]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum

After all, how do you use a defibliator on someone who's chest has been cracked open and is exposed for the world to see?

They made special defibrillators for direct contact with the heart. Thet look kinda like spoons. Its actually more effective then external defibrillation.

[edit on 25/3/05 by Skibum]

So THAT'S why he thought the gun was actually a defibliator!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hey, if we can not trust doctors perhaps we should go see the witch doctor down in the village, or better yet, the "Curandero" or "Herbalist" too.

I grow up in the Islands and when the doctor could not thread the patients the way the patient want it too, they would go the "santero" the "curandero" ,or "spiritista" to get help for their needs.

By the way they still do that back home is not a joke.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
By the way they still do that back home is not a joke.

Back home in Kentucky there are still people who live Waaaaaay out in the country who will not go to a Doctor.. they use natural "ways" of treating themselves... I don't mean "dope" either... herbs and things like that...

My Great Grandmother had never been to a doctor since she was a little kid... lived to be 101.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

My Great Grandmother had never been to a doctor since she was a little kid... lived to be 101.

Amazing, my father's step mother died last year my grandfather die 3 years ago he was 104 he was treated in hospitals because of prostate cancel.

But his wife, even when he was in the hospital sick, would not leave the house to go see him, thankfully the hospital released him to die at home, for about 40 years or more nobody remember if she ever left the house.

That means not doctors treatment either, the day she got out of the house was when she got sick to die few days later in the hospital.

It still happens around, specially with older people.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
(...After all, how do you use a defibliator on someone who's chest has been cracked open and is exposed for the world to see?)

You put special little defibrillator (not defibliator) sticks right onto the exposed heart muscle, that is how! They even can implant an internal defibrillator that will automatically fire if it senses certain cardiac arrythmias...truly amazing stuff!

On the topic...I wouldn't want to know this same statistic on nurses....we already have a terrible shortage...and it is only going to get worse!

Give the MD's a break. The majority of ppl do not go to the doctor until they are sicker than they would have been if they did not put off going to the doctor. Not to mention the bad habits people have that affect thier health...like...smoking, drinking, over eating and using drugs...that have long time bad effects and many complications...and what about the genes we are given in life...diabetes..cancer...and other genetic disorders.

People need to take care of themselves better. Take some responsibility.

I think that it is PEOPLE with guns that kill people.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Icarus Rising, great point that you make.

If people would put things in prospective you would also have to ban cars,drugs,and kitchen knives all because they are used by stupid people in improper ways to do harm to others. Also if the lawsuits against gun manufactures go through then there is no way they can stop people from sueing auto makers for the death of realitives killed by drunk drivers.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
i love the title is it in reference to that welsh rap group goldie looking chain ?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish
special little defibrillator (not defibliator)

Hey, I said I worked in the medical industry, not the spelling industry!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Uhh you all know that without doctors the life expantancy would still be in the mid-30s so they have saved waaaay more lives then they have accedentally killed. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Uhh you all know that without doctors the life expantancy would still be in the mid-30s so they have saved waaaay more lives then they have accedentally killed. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

hehe. Not if they were all like my old doctor www.manchesteronline.co.uk... .

He is said to have killed over 500 of his patiants. He is possibly the worlds most prolific serial killer. Killed many of my neighbours and friends grandparents.

Anyway, he hung himself in prison last year.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Some numbers for comparison. There are ~3000 health care visits per 1000 people in the US. At 248M people = 744M visits / your 120,000 accidental deaths = 0.016% Sill higher than your gun comparison but if you add in intentional gun deaths the numbers will get closer....

In 2002, there were 30,242 firearm-related deaths in the United States, including 17,108 (57%) suicides, 12,129 (40%) homicides (including 300 deaths due to legal intervention/war), and 1,005 (3%) undetermined/unintentional firearm deaths. CDC/National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 53, No. 5, October 12, 2004, p.77.

In the United States in 2002, 67% of all homicides and 54% of all suicides resulted from the use of a firearm. CDC/National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 53, No. 5, October 12, 2004, p. 32.

Firearm injuries are the second leading cause of injury death in the United States, and have killed more than 28,000 Americans every year since 1972. CDC/National Center for Health Statistics, 2004.

In 2002, the demographic groups (by age, race, and gender) with the highest firearm injury death rates in the United States were black males aged 20-24 (105.5 homicide deaths per 100,000 population), followed by white males aged 85 and older (40.9 suicide deaths per 100,000 population). CDC/National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports 1999-2002 www.cdc.gov...

More than 700 women every year are shot and killed as victims of domestic violence in the United States, representing 20% of all female homicide victims. Homicide Trends in the US. Intimate homicide and Homicides by relationship and weapon type. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2002.

The rate of death from firearms in the United States is eight times higher than that in its economic counterparts in other parts of the world. In the United States, more than 16 cases of nonfatal, unintentional gunshot injuries occur for every unintentional shooting death; nonfatal firearm assaults outnumber gun homicides by a ratio of 4:1. In contrast, firearm suicide attempts result in death in approximately 85% of cases. Kellermann AL and Waeckerle JF. Preventing Firearm Injuries. Ann Emerg Med July 1998; 32:77-79. 1/20/05 U.S. Firearm Homicide and Suicide Facts

You can make the numbers say anything - those statistics quoted in the first post are not an apples to apples comparison....

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
UofCinLA,

I apologize if my post offended you. I honestly believe that guns are much more dangerous than doctors. I'm not so sure about lawyers though. I have a great doctor and I'm lucky to have him. My sister-in-law is a doctor, and she is great. It is a difficult and thankless job, and my joke may have been in poor taste.

I am a resposible gun owner, and have been around firearms all my life. More and more I think about how, in the old west, you had to leave your guns at the marshall's office when you came into town. It still is incumbent on the individual to handle guns, and all dangerous items, responsibly.

Hey, I used to run Kerckhoff Coffee House, is it still the hub it was in '97?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Icarus Rising -

Heck no, not offended in the least and what you posted was not in poor taste at all. Being a scientist, it's funny how you can make the numbers play to any audience and I was just trying to point that out....

Hell there's more accidental deaths from choking while eating or from heart attacks while doing the nasty than the gun thing I suspect....

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Docters with guns kill people

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join