It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People won't stop making me do the "High Five".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I found this in a small town news paper today and thought you might enjoy it also :

Best of my recollection, the "High Five" originated by young urban black males in the early 70s.

When it first became popular, we white rural rednecks would mimic what we would see in the movies or on the basketball court. We would invent a strange series of hand touching gestures with our best friends and we would practice our intricate series in our backyards or in our bedrooms until we got the courage to try it out in public ... hopefully, in front of the girls we were trying to impress at the time.

While our urban neighbors quickly modified the "High Five" into the "Low Five" and into any number of fleeting popular handshakes, before abandoning it, we white guys held onto it for some inexplicable reason.

On the basketball court there was a never-ending series of "High Fives". When they announced the starters, we would run through a tunnel of teammates, all giving the "High Five". Every time someone made a free throw, again with the "High Five". We looked for the "High Five" opportunity in every situation.

We even had the fake "High Five".

This is when you initiate a "High Five" with an underling and then, while they make the move to reciprocate, you quickly pull your hand back like you are adjusting your hair. Pretty cool huh?

What made me start becoming self-conscious about the whole "High Five " issue happened while watching a college game sometime back. I saw a white guy, I mean so white he was almost clear, give one to a black teammate.

I don't know who looked more uncomfortable. I then realized that the black community had, by and large, given up on it some two decades before. So while I don't think the black guy wanted to reciprocate, out of some teammate obligation, he almost had to go along. After all, it was on national television.

After that I decided to stop. I informed a few of my friends about my new attitude toward the "High Five" and they promptly spent the rest of the evening trying to catch me off guard.

For a few days I had some early success. But then comes my buddy, I'll call him "Tim," into the picture. "Tim" is one of those guys who loves the "High Five" and he throws them around like party favors.

I mean it's, "High Five" this and "High Five" that, I think he even uses the word "High Five" when he wishes to initiate it. Something like "Ha, Ha that's funny, give me a "High Five".

I spent the first few days avoiding him, I just didn't have the heart to tell him about my decision. I was afraid it would affect our friendship. I mean for a guy like Tim, who routinely uses the "High Five" at least thirty times per outing, it could cause a lot of uncomfortable moments.

So, sure enough, my "High Five" hiatus stopped abruptly about four days after it started. First there was Tim ... then Maria ... and then Tammy, all within a half hour of each other. (I never noticed before how many women like the "High Five" too). Then there was the old guy at the card table, I mean, how can you refuse a senior?

So, anyway, I'm back doing the "High Five" just in time for March Madness.

Next I think I'll try a vow of silence for a week. I think it will be easier.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
anyone....anyone...

ummm okay... I'll move on ..

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A scene from Seinfeld

JERRY: No. He keeps asking me to give him a high-five.
ELAINE: I thought all guys do that.
JERRY: Slapping hands is the lowest form of male primate ritual. In fact, even some of them have moved on - they're doing sign language now.
ELAINE: It's that bad?
JERRY: What do you think the Nazis were doin�? That was the heil-five.

[edit on 24-5-2005 by Quake]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
oh man that was a great episode too, high fives hehe it's been a while since i've engaged in those... well cept for lil kids i tell me GIVE ME FIVE hahaha

top topics

join