It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Villagers Volunteer to be Crucified (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
At least 11 impoverished villagers have signed up to be nailed to wooden crosses. They have signed up for this because they want to reenactment Jesus Christ's crucifixion. This single event draws thousands of tourists to the village each year.

www.livescience.com
SAN PEDRO CUTUD, Philippines (AP) -- At least 11 mostly impoverished villagers have signed up to be nailed to wooden crosses in a bloody reenactment of Jesus Christ's crucifixion that draws thousands of tourists to this northern village each year, an official said Thursday.

The Lenten ritual is opposed by religious leaders in the Philippines -- Southeast Asia's largest predominantly Roman Catholic nation -- but it has persisted to become one of the country's most-awaited summer attractions in the farming village of San Pedro Cutud in Pampanga province, about 70 kilometers (45 miles) north of Manila.

Village leader Zoilo Castro said 11 men, mostly poor laborers, have registered to be crucified on Good Friday but added that more might agree to take part in the ritual, which he expected would draw about 20,000 foreign and local tourists. He said 14 penitents were crucified last year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have heard about this before and I think it is completely insane. I am Catholic and I still would never do anything like this. I am happy that the religious leaders in the area have a negative view toward this, but it is amazing that people still want to be crucified.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
When I was growin up back home in Puerto Rico we had a man that used to make a big show at the capitol main statium of the passion he would publicly crusifed himself at this time of the year.

Occurs it was a charge to see the show.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thats just sick. How can you be so demented to take pleasure in watching sufferering and gore?
Shouldnt this act also demean the original crucifixion? Wouldnt the christians protest against this silly act?

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s
Thats just sick. How can you be so demented to take pleasure in watching sufferering and gore?
Shouldnt this act also demean the original crucifixion? Wouldnt the christians protest against this silly act?

they probably do protest but it has no effect...

these events bring in tourists (money) so they aren't going to stop...

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow, those crazy Chri$tians.... Do these people die from being crucified, or do they get cut down after a certain time?

[sarcasm] I think if I had paid good money to see someone get crucified, I'd be pretty upset if they didn't complete it. It's not very Chri$tian to cheat tourist like that.... [/sarcasm]

join