It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado official recalled for not standing for pledge!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
www.suntimes.com...

Voters recalled Town Trustee David Habecker 903 to 605, casting him from office for refusing to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance at town meetings.

''The voters of Estes Park denied my constitutional right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion," he said afterwards.

No, they didn't deny you your constiutional right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, they denied you the right to represent them.

Freedom from consequences are not in the Constitution!

Good job Colorado!

[edit on 25-3-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

No, they didn't deny you your constiutional right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, they denied you the right to represent them.

Freedom from consequences are not in the Constitution!

Well said.

The Constitution allows you to tick off the voters, but it doesn't prevent them from recalling your sorry ass!
What an idiot... I can't believe 605 people wanted to keep him after that. No doubt he's likely an atheist/agnostic...but fine, do what I do, recite the pledge as originally written (i.e. stay silent during the "under God" add in phrase. I pledge allegiance to no god, but I will certainly pledge allegiance to my country... What a moron...

[edit on 25-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Since when the pledge is the law in the US, I don't get it, how come our national anthem has been replace by the pledge of the legion? because that is what it looks to me.

And for the man that lost his job all he had to do was to be hypocrite and fake it.

I stand up for the pledge but I keep my mouth shut.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It isn't required by law to say the pledge (at least not in these circumstances), but it is expected by the electorate. And when one does not meet the expectations of the electorate, he faces losing his job as their representative.

If the majority of the electorate expected their man to like chocolate cake, and he stood defiantly against anything related to chocolate cake...the people are still perfectly just in choosing a man who likes chocolate cake to be their representative instead...

Damn, now I want cake...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This got moved to Religion in Government Issues? This post isn't about religion, it's about people standing up and recalling stupid elected officials.

I guess because the elected official brought up religion it was moved?

Just because the Pledge has "under God" in it makes this post religious?

If you go against the peoples wishes they can remove you from office. The point of the post was that the removed official started crying freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Which was totally outrageous.

I really hate it when my posts get moved. But atleast it wasn't moved to BTS!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Whoa good thing Im not in colorady! I never stand for the pledge!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The recalling of a town trustee by a 60-40 margin on a minor issue of allegiance pledging expectations warrants neither the attention of God, nor ATS, nor Politics@ATS.

I think this would find a better home in the Gardening or Cooking forums, as it is the sort of thing talked about in those circles. Or General Chit Chat.

PS. Just kidding.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This really is the best political news I have heard in a long time. Just a basic sense of courtesy would dictate that a public official would at least stand for the pledge of allegiance at official meetings. I wouldn't want such a boor representing my interests, either. The public acted both legally and appropriately, in my judgement.

top topics

join