It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Right Literally Cashing In On Terri's Suffering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Conservatives Invoke Case in Fundrasing Campaign

How "Terri" is helping fund the war on homosexuality and a thousand other things you may not agree with when writing that check.

Videotape of Terri Schiavo blinking at her parents has inspired donations from people around the country to the foundation set up to help pay for the family's legal battle. But many other groups are soliciting donations in her name as well, some for a much broader agenda.

"Help Save Terri Schiavo's Life!" says the Web site of the Traditional Values Coalition, a Christian conservative group best known for its campaigns against gay rights. Next to a link to the Web site of her parents' foundation is a pitch to "become an active supporter of the Traditional Values Coalition by pledging a monthly gift."

"What this issue has done is it has galvanized people the way nothing could have done in an off-election year," said Rev. Lou Sheldon, the founder of the group, acknowledging that the case of Ms. Schiavo, a severely brain-damaged Florida woman, had moved many to open up their checkbooks. "That is what I see as the blessing that dear Terri's life is offering to the conservative Christian movement in America."

Did you just read what that cynical son of a bitch said?

"That is what I see as the blessing that dear Terri's life is offering to the conservative Christian movement in America." ~Rev. Lou Sheldon

One might legitimately wonder if it was ever truly Terri's intent to live on for over a decade in a persistent vegetative state, but I doubt any "living will" would have included the legacy to helping efforts to overturn Roe v Wade and exclude homosexuals from full integration in a society of marriage and monogomy.

To the extent these groups capitalizing on the suffering of Terri extend even beyond the social implications is obvious as well. Look at the politicians they back.

Help save Terri and get less social security benefits to boot. Save Terri by cutting education funding now. Save Terri! Destroy the environment today! Does Terri's plight of suffering make you sad? Then join our plight to protect healthcare profits and increase your suffering!

Some "Christians" make me wish there were a hell.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What do you expect from fundamentalist groups, you think they are all for "Christian rights" they all after one thing and one thing alone, money and power.

I am glad that the "majority" in " America" can see the true and put a wall between "secular fundamentalist" and "Christian Americans"

They are despicable they are the ones pushing the agenda and playing with the poppets in florida.

They have not regards for the law and they will sell their own if it will bring profits for them in the name of their "cause" and the "retaking of American for their version of Christ"

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
[deliberately insensitive sarcasm]

But her suffering is helping spread the word, don't you know. How christlike. Saint Terry anyone?

[/deliberately insensitive sarcasm]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
[deliberately insensitive sarcasm]

But her suffering is helping spread the word, don't you know. How christlike. Saint Terry anyone?

[/deliberately insensitive sarcasm]

I'd love to see a Mainstream Coalition of Conservatives, Liberals and Christians Against Religious Fundamentalist Extremism in American Politics.

Not that that means I'd not support opposing views in mainstream politics. McCain is a perfect example of someone that doesn't pander to religious extremism, but still personally opposes all abortions.

There's nothing wrong with being a Christian and a politician at all. It's the fringe Christian politicians and political Christians that divide this country.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Today is good Friday let see if the politicians will cash out on the importance of the day to catholics in this country.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
"I'd love to see a Mainstream Coalition of Conservatives, Liberals and Christians Against Religious Fundamentalist Extremism in American Politics." Rant

Ha, and how long would they last before the christians killed them all? I swear, you think they are good at blowing up hospitals and beating pregnant women to death, just wait to see what happens when someone who doesn't worship them tries to enter politics.... Just like you have pro-life marches but no pro-choice marches, the pro-choice people know they would be slaughtered in a rain of lead and steel bullets.

Also, love the media circus, especially fox. "She is a living breathing human being, her husband is a evil liberal democrat!" Hannity.

"This woman is fighting to live, the people outside are trying to save her, but that evil democrat claims to love her." Ann Coulter while on Fox News.

"How can the democrats say it is right to kill this woman? If she was gay or black they would be fighting to save her." Rush Limbaugh.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
And here I was going to say there were no winners in this sad, sad case... but there are, as rant as shown - not only the Christian right, but the media. After all, what's human dignity when you can have more ratings and more profit?

Thank you, rev. Sheldon, for reminding me where the true value$ lay.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

"These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father.

That paragraph says it all $$ are more important then there dubious morals.
Then again what can you expect from a bunch of wankers hell bent on brainwashing the population?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think the media is getting the biggest boost on this story. They have managed to turn a rather simple story into a feeding frenzy for ratings. Then they cash in on the profits when their sponsors have to pay more for advertising as the ratings go up.

Nothing new really, the media makes a living on sensationalizing what is considered a hum-drum ordeal. I love how they drummed up this story, and then started pointing fingers on who was trying to sensationalize the most. It's like a game of hot potato. It's okay to pass it around but don't get caught holding it.

join