It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubai - Amazing - Fastest Growing City!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Most people have heard of the United Arab Emirates, because of all there oil money, and what they are spending it on. They know that nothing last forever, and when there oil dries up, or the market slows down, they need something to stay alive, and stand out amongst the crowd, what did they choose.....Tourism. They have several big projects going on right now, like The Palm, Burj Dubai, The World Islands, Hydropolis, and the Arabian Canal which leads through Dubai, WaterFront (BTW-This site has an excellent Video.

Every now and then you have probably seen some building or concept that will being Built in the UAE, Dubai. So I have compiled a list of things that will be built over there, that way there easier for me & you to find in the future.
They are very busy over there, and heres some more pics and info if you want to know what they are working on.

The amazing Hydropolis Hotel will become the world’s first underwater hotel, with 300 rooms and suites at a depth of 20 metres off the Jumeirah Coast.

By 2006 there Airport will be large enough for 25 A-380's.

The Al Burj (not to be confused with the Burj Al Arab), will be on the Palm Jumeriah, giving you a great view.

250 to 300 small islands shaped like the continents of the world.
"The World" Video

This is the original "Palm", called: The Palm, Jumeirah.
"Palm" Video

The second Palm is called: The Palm, Jebel Ali

This is the newest edition and biggest called: The Palm, Deira.

This is a good overview of the projects, you can also see the arabian canal, wich is 75km long, completely artificial, and will make a great area for a city to grow in.

Burj Al Arab, largest hotel, built to resemble a sail.

Jumeirah hotel

The Burj Dubai Tower will be the tallest building in the world at 800 meters when finished in 2008.

As you can see, theres some impressive work going on, and a lot to see, the tall buildings will help you see all the impressive feats on engineering at work. But if the tall buildings dont do you justice, then how about riding this.

Voyager
It will be the largest observation wheel ever built, 600 ft tall. As you can see it looks great, and the "orbiters" as they call them, that you sit or stand in are luxurious. The first observation wheel was built in london, called the London Eye, which is 443 ft tall, and took 30 minutes to complete one circle. However this one will be much bigger & better. It takes 27 minutes for one circle, each "orbiter" can hold 20 people, and there will be 30 orbiters, This will give tourist a spectacular view of Dubai.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Awesome post.

Absolutely breathtaking.

Good to see the beauty that humans are capable of with a little creativity and some cash.

edit: grammar

[edit on 25-3-2005 by quango]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I spent two weeks in Dubia in 1992. I hope they have done some work on there infrastructure since then. If they havent, that will have to be completed before these projects can take off into full swing. Though many people there have money, there are still many who do not. They have some fantastic bazaars in town, and the merchants are actually offended if you DONT haggle with them. I did find a nice selection of 'Persian ' rugs for cheap

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Most people have heard of the United Arab Emirates, because of all there oil money, and what they are spending it on.

Its amazing what billions of dollars can buy. Dubai truly is now an incredible city but give it another 20 years and it will be like the new New York. Tourist all of the world will come visit all of its spectacular sites. I love all the man made island projects, but the world island chain really stands out, that and the offshore underwater restaurant.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

wow.... that is some amazing architecture and design!

very impressive.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i was looking at these pictures for like 15 mins i was truley gob smacked i was paralyzed

these will cost billions trillians so much that the u.s.a will look pathetic compared to untied rab embrite iw as amazed how many people did'nt respound this is amazing

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lepracornman
these will cost billions trillians so much that the u.s.a will look pathetic compared to untied rab embrite iw as amazed how many people did'nt respound this is amazing

Noone has trillions to spend on projects like these, considering the whole world produces only about $52 trillion, about $12 trillion from the USA alone. Tens of Billions on the other hand... probably in that neighborhood for all of those projects. They would be awe inspiring to see nonetheless though, regardless of price.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Yeah, I was there in 1995.
Know what was there?
Alot of sand,
some guys giving camel rides,
and a bar with 2 irish guys (George and Tristan) who were singing Neil Diamond songs.
Which by the way we took a bus like 40 miles to get to and went through 2 districts of poor housing where we were not allowed to take pictures.

Best of luck with the fastest growing city thing....

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
There is an American Hospital in Dubai where Bin Laden met with CIA agents just before 9-11. A fact I find most particularly disturbing.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

lepracornman
these will cost billions trillians so much that the u.s.a will look pathetic compared to untied arab embrite iw as amazed how many people did'nt respound this is amazing

Some of them are billion dollar projects, but they have a lot of oil money so they can afford it, the hope to prosper by tourism once the oil runs out.

Since when are they competing with America? they want good looking building and islands...I have no problem with that, and just because they have it doesn't mean that I think we should do the same.
I often see people arguing whos countries fighter aircraft is the best, but now doing it with building projects...come on. How about we just chalk it up to the Human race, and not "my country is better then your country".

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yeah its good to see a forward looking country in the middle east within so much chaos and religeous fundamentalism. I believe dubai is also restrictive in some aspects also but it doesnt seem to be stifling their economic development which will ultimately come to include western vices.

pao

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
nice stuff. too bad they dont help out some neighboring countries or the poor and homless in their own land......

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Those are some amazing plans for structures, I have seen a show on the one that is already built the sail ship looking Hotel. Its quite a a mazing building the tallest hotel in the world.

I dont know about the whole Tourism thing for the Middle east though they dont exactlly portray a image of being friendly to foreigners. I think they will need a good PR campaign to change that.

Ill stick with Cancun Mexico or if I really wanted to go to the Middle east I would go to Egypt to see things like the pyramids, things I cant see anywhere eles the Luxor in Vegas just dont cut it. I can just Drive to New York to see tall buildings.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a picture of hydropilos
i just ponderd on and on about these amazing structures
www.conway.com...

new topics

top topics

join