It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasubi and the Extraordinary Adaptive Nature of Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hello all,

In Japan there was a gameshow in which they selected a man to get a "Show-business related job." This man was then placed in a single room apartment with no food and hundreds of magazines. What was the premise? He had to win $10,000 worth of prizes by writing in to magazine contests. All of his food and supplies would come from these contests and, more than that, the whole thing was televised.

www3.tky.3web.ne.jp...

This brings up a few points but one of the two main points, this brings up the idea that the human body and the spirit that one is in is quite amazing. It adapts to situations and conserves itself for survival in extreme conditions.

On the other hand, this just shows how sick we have become as a human race. It's absolutely rediculous that this kind of thing is allowed to happen and it will continue to do so until someone dies...or perhaps that will only fuel it more.

NOTE: I have tried to find out if this is fake and it appears to be real. I hope that it is fake and if anyone finds that it is, well then good

NOTE 2: I decided to put this in this forum instead of the media forum because my main point is about the extraordinary human body, not about our sick fetish as a race.

Cheers,
nufan

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have moved 8 times in my life and i am still just a high school student. You could say that i know a thing or two about adapting to new enviroments. ANd yes, i agree that the capabilities of the human body are amaving. Adaption is practically engraved in our nature.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
nmuxfpaxn does this tie in with the japanese kids who hide away for years in their apartments and never come out?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well, to be honest I'm not sure as to whether you're making a vague reference to a stereotype about the Japanese or if you're speaking of an actual series of events
I'll just have to say this: I don't know.

Cheers,
nufan

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Not sure if this is real or not but it is linked to some really fascinating stuff about modern Japenese culture. Pachinko

Qirky Japanese Food

Things you can get in a vending machine in Japan!

Japan looks like fun to me!

AS for human being able to adapt...that is how we have survived...by adapting to our environment.

I hope this Nasubi guy is really rich if this is true! I have a hard time believing that he did not win any soap the way that they advertise so many different kinds...at least in USA they do!

[edit on 3/24/2005 by Cherish]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
this has to be a joke, that is frekin ridiculous! what kind of sicko would get kicks off of watching someone starve to death?!?!??

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, if you really think about it, we watch people mentally tear each other apart, so the next step is only logical. Another show that many people find extremely funny is Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. I won't lie, I absolutely love this show (mostly for the insanely funny commentary) but the next step would be to watch people humiliate themselves in other ways, such as being in a situation, naked, which they cannot possibly control. It really seems like a twisted step, however, it seems like it's a somewhat small step.

Cheers,
nufan

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
i remeber a show that was an ultimate challenge, that had the contestants stand in freezing temperatures for as long as possible. had them drink gallons of liquid and had a machine beat on their blatter. had them submerged for a length of time. really really harsh stuff but it was cool to see how much it takes for them to break. i would find these kind of matters more bareable then the phycological hardships certain shows display.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Have you, by chace, seen the new show on Comedy Central called "Distraction"? It is somewhat along the same premises, however, while the people are going through physical and psychological discomfort, they have to answer some of the easiest questions possible. It really is quite humorous, but only so because it's a show, the contestants know why they're there, and it doesn't have any last effects, unlike the show mentioned in my first post. I think that these lasting effects are what make the show so disgusting as well as the publics desire to watch such shows.

Cheers,
nufan

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Its an actual condition. There was a BBC doco on it. Kids who can't handle the reality of Japanese society and live 24/7 in their bedrooms for years. They have a name starting with "H" I think.

Originally posted by nmuxfpaxn
Well, to be honest I'm not sure as to whether you're making a vague reference to a stereotype about the Japanese or if you're speaking of an actual series of events
I'll just have to say this: I don't know.

Cheers,
nufan

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wow, that's really crazy. Does anyone happen to have a link about such people? That really is quite fascinating. Reminds me a little of the way people are in Snow Crash, a bit.

Cheers,
nufan

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Oh yes! I saw this once!!

It's actually quite amazing, they actually relocated him twice, after he finished his first task he was plopped off in North Korea with the same goal, except this time he didn't know the language of the magazines.

He's been able to complete it all.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Apparently his website grossed him mass amounts of money, but it's never stated as to whether he's used it or if he even got a cut of it. It seems likely that they would have given him nothing in return except fame...but then again, maybe he's a millionaire. Who knows?

Cheers,
nufan

new topics

top topics

join