It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi friendly fire incident kills 5

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Today, Iraqi police mistook a group of Iraqi soldiers for a group of insurgents. The Iraqi police then opened fire and this created a 10-minute gunbattle that then killed five, in the northern town of Rabia. The soldiers were dressed in civilian clothing and were carrying guns.

msnbc.msn.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi police mistook a group of Iraqi soldiers for insurgents Thursday and opened fire, sparking a 10-minute gunbattle that killed five in the northern town of Rabia. In the south, protesters demanded their representative be named the country’s new oil minister.

The soldiers in Rabia, about 90 miles west of the larger city of Mosul, were dressed in civilian clothing and were carrying guns, according to the region’s police chief, Ahmed Mohammed Khalaf. Three soldiers and two police were killed and another eight wounded.

In the southern city of Basra, more than 200 protesters demanded an individual from their petroleum-rich region be named head of the oil ministry. Some demonstrators even threatened to strike if their demands weren’t met.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This makes it seem like the Iraqi police and soldiers need "better communication" with each other so events like these do not occur again. This is tragic because this was friendly fire and five were killed. Hopefully, the Iraqi police and military will learn from their mistakes and will also be able to run Iraq by themselves.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by they see ALL]

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
you are not suppose to make a direct quote in your first paragraph..

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
it seems like the quote was fixed...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
So sad that many are losing their lives in Iraq because of mistakes, the situation most be so dangerous that their own people can not even lower their guard to find out how is friend or foe.

Very sad.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
when do you (marg) think the Iraqi people will be able to run their country peacefully???

i hope soon but i am not so sure this will happin...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Heh, "Like occupier, Like occupied."

Not, it really is a terrible thing, but it has been a constant problem for the entire war, much larger than I had ever expected. And that's a real tragedy, the needless beyond all needlessness lives lost.

And, uh, the entire paragraph is quoted. OOPS!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

but it has been a constant problem for the entire war

Friendly fire incidents have been a problem in every war but they are not happening as often as in past wars, they just get more media coverage nowadays. Any time humans are involved in something (especially in a high stress situation like war, there will be human errors. You can decrease the amount they happen by increased training but you can't eliminate it totally. It is sad to hear about incidents such as this.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

when do you (marg) think the Iraqi people will be able to run their country peacefully???

i hope soon but i am not so sure this will happin...

I tell you when...............when the wells gets dried...........does anybody have any news as where the Iraqi oil is going..............

Its like no news of it at all.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
good point...

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I tell you when...............when the wells gets dried...........does anybody have any news as where the Iraqi oil is going..............

Its like no news of it at all.

Information control is in effect. Those who control the oil control the media.
News of what is happening with Iraq's oil is something we need to find out.

I seem to remember someone telling the Iraqi people not to burn off all their oil before Saddam was taken out.

One would think a oil rich country like Iraq would be able to afford a quick recovery and no longer need outside help.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I remember driving around in Iraq and seeing the Iraqi Police carrying AK-47s, except you really couldn't tell who in the hell they were! I'd always be like, "Well, they aren't shooting at me, so they must be the good guys!"

Seriously, I have almost killed some Iraqi Police myself. Some barely wear uniforms.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
They most likely don't wear uniforms because they do not want to get shot at by the bad guys. Uniforms make nice targets.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

One would think a oil rich country like Iraq would be able to afford a quick recovery and no longer need outside help.

Actually the Bush administration told us that the Oil in Iraq was going to pay for the post Iraq reconstruction.

I wonder what happen, the Iraqi oil is paying for something........... but what?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Curme, that really is frightening, to be in that position and then to read about it. It's good to have someone to substantiate the news, to say 'Yeah, it really is tough.' I'm glad we've got ya.

new topics

top topics

join