It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Was Shown on MSNBC

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Here is the story it does mention ATS you have you
www.msnbc.msn.com...
go down to number 3 and click where he posted

[edit on 24-3-2005 by digitalassassin]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zintac

Originally posted by smirkley
I get the impression the media isnt going to frenzy, that way. Aside from showing the high-profile nazi site he frequented, all references (including that site) do not point or gesture (blame) in any fashion except to Weise himself.

Quoted and word removed that way, yes they may point or gesture, but ATS even on first glance doesnt depict anything resembling the other genre. (I edited and added word after you guys quoted
sorry)

[edit on 24-3-2005 by smirkley]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hey I don't have access to MSNBC....after the show could someone post a general rundown on the show and what was discussed in regards to Weise?......Thats if it hasnt already been on and someone already gave a summary, Im lost

Darn timezones

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by digitalassassin
Here is the story it does mention ATS you have you
www.msnbc.msn.com...
go down to number 3 and click where he posted

It was there a minute ago but now i am having trouble loging back in to the story

Ok figured it out you have to register to see the story

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If these posts had sound, I would have to say; just listen to how some of you sound!

And that is as though you are embarrassed about the content in ATS and what you post. Why is that since so many of our members come in here and speak with such force and conviction to non-mainstream topics?

ATS has absolutely nothing to hide relative to Weise. This troubled teen was nothing but polite, articulate and non-threatening in his posts. As I had previously stated, ATS members were privy to his attempted suicide which was yet to hit the media stream, yet his posts on same were reflective of his wanting to live not to die or to kill others. The ATS members save for one whom I believe has long been banned, should be very proud for the good solid advice they offered to try and save this anonymous young man. They cared, which is a plus, one which cannot be denied. So what is the problem? It was inevitable that ATS would be disclosed, and as long as the authorities seized his computer, there was and is no stopping this disclosure.

The onslaught will likely come from those who care not to read Weise's posts which have been profiled by administration because ATS should have nothing to hide now or in the future, but many will not care about the concern shown toward Weise's mental state, nor that he did not collaborate or cite his intention to inflict harm to anyone while on this site.

When that happens, those who know and believe that ATS did not contribute to the state of this young man's mind, will defend ATS with the utmost decorum and grace.

We can lead, follow or apologize. The latter two have never been acceptable to me, what about the rest of you?

[edit on 3/24/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
My gut is telling me to remove Weise's posts and preserve them for law enforcement requests.

The nature of "deny ignorance" seems to say we should not help feed a media frenzy over a tragic event like this.

New member here. Thank you! Thank you!

I've lurked. Member process was quick and easy though.

To the point. I too saw the report on MSNBC. Bad presentation of the site though, the banner was in B&W so the make you feel hyped red was not present.

Being in the field of law I would suggest that you not alter/move, modify the post in any way as this then seems to be an admission of guilt.

Although what happen is in fact tragic it was not in any way the fault of ATS or it's members. So why store it away?

My first two cents. I hope someday to add up to a dollar.

~ManTool~

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
SomewhereInBetween is right -- the community here interacted with him on a friendly basis, and there was nothing here that influenced his actions that day.

I also agree with the recommendation of leaving his posts intact (and, in fact archiving them if there's ever any question...)

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
well...

this IS good AND bad news...

it is good because, this was the dream of ATSers (for ATS to be on the news)...

it is bad news because of this shooting...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
multiple things:

1. This community is WAY too diverse to be ALL insane. (If it wouldn't freak out some people, I'd love to get a simple survey (anonamous, of course) to see what we do have here....mostly because it's nice to know....)

2. It's a conspiracy site; I was expecting nutters. In fact, the one friend I'm close to on this site is THE most insane person I have conversations with. When people get a quick description of this place, they don't know if they can handle it. At the very least, we are abnormal, no way to get around it. Come on, I've got tobe at least neurotic

3. It's hard to find people ANY younger than me (23, almost 24) that don't have several online sites they visit on a regular basis. Out of all that suicided/murdered anyone out there, can they find one who did not reach out online? How about if this poor guy was on a ratings site, spewing his guts out? I've been on those sites and almost all of the people on them are either bored or suicidal drama queens...and I know that several had failed attempted suicides. That doesn't mean that ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ONE WHO MURDERS/SUICIDES is to blame for it. We had less connection with him than his school did, and look waht a good job they did of stopping what hapened.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well I seen the segment on that kid and ATS, I dont think it was anything bad in my opinion they said about it... However they showed his video that he made then showed the site.. but only showed that part what he said.. only bad part about it is nobody posted after what he said...

Anyway I dont think its a bad thing... I do however think we will have a big hit of people all here for mostly wrong reasons...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The small mention on mwnbc was something like 'he posted under his last name on a site called 'above top secret' and then they read the bit about how he had been blamed for a possible shooting previously. They showed what looked like a page from ats with the logo prominently displayed on top. I don't know what page was, it might've been a thread page but it was all white?

Anyway, I think ATS is way overshadowed by what they went to next, the little animation he made of him smoking, shooting other people, tossing a grenade into a cop car, killing a kkk guy (which is absurd, considering he himself was a bigoted little racist) and then blowing his own head off.

People aren't going to remember ATS after that!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Thread re-opened

[edit on 25-3-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
One of my Friends told me that they heard ATS listed on another news show and this post was being read and talked about how the fringe of society hides on posting boards like ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Weise Wrote:

"What the heck is a sin? I mean, as far as I'm concerned the very idea of such a thing is ludicrus. The idea of what constitutes a sin varys widely across the different cultures and lands, so how can you be sure which religion or faith is the one?

It seems to me that all these different belief systems that are centered around God's, and creatures of unfathomable power, are nothing more than paraniod delusions. Mankinds fear of a higher power, ever since the olden days where the primatives cowered from the lightening and thunder above, seems to be the explanation for all this debate. We wish there to be a Heaven or Hell because we like the idea of getting a dog biscuit for being a good little puppy, and the thought of the masters solid back hand striking us makes us fear damnation. We have no evidence to either of these places existance, our only "proof" to their existance is the blind faith we put in them.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm an atheist. I'm not some immoral arsehole who thinks he can get away with anything because there is no God, I just see no reason to put faith in something that, for all I know, isn't there. Whoever said "we're all sinners" was right, because if you think about it, in this world you can't take a dump without it being labled a sin. "

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
What struck me as strange was that in the third paragraph on
www.startribune.com... (somebody posted thast link earlier)they actually name the ATS site but then go on to say on another site then on a third site. They didn't name the sites.

Why was ATS the only site named? Why didn't the article just say Weise wrote last year in one of the dozens of postings he made on a site that was popular with conspiracies, coverups, UFO's and other such topics? Instead they named ATS.

Just caught my attention that's all

[edit on 25-3-2005 by MrDog]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
No worries, no worries. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Yes the kid was crazy and did something terrible, but it has nothing to do with this site or its influence. Only reason random people will read the posts are for clues and curiosities.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The scary thing is not even that he went on a murder spree but after searching for his name and reading a lot of his posts I realized that he says the same things that about half of the posters on ATS do. Just read this post above about how there is no good or evil. The same type of thread is happening now in the religious section and most of the posters are saying basically the same things. How many more Weise’s are there on ATS?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
i'm actualy a bit anoyed at the fact i can't read the whole story on msmbc as i am not a member there.

i will agree with the fact that this site is named and others are not being questionable. from what i have read of his posts. most have nothing to do with what he did other than the one where he states he was (falsely?) accused of makeing the threat. therefore how can we become accountable for what he did. if he had said that he was GOING to do something that might be another matter, even so since we don't have spacific info on where we live and such. other than trying to talk him out of it there would be little we could have done to prevent it. as for talking him out of it i am sure most would have tried to do just that.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Trust me. No one will think twice about ATS and Weise, except that his posts here did foreshadow what was to come. Not everyone who writes of the macabre or the pscyhotic here falls into the same catagory as Weise and for anyone to fault themselves for not having seen the signs is misguided.

It would have been nice if Weise's contributions could have raised red flags for someone who could have done something, but if those who lived with him day to day didn't see it, how could we?

I think his posts here provide a very poignant picture of alienation and dispair that plagues far too many of the youth in our society. Everything about this story is tragic.

He seemed to have been a very bright kid.

[edit on 05/3/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The posts should not be removed, it kind of goes against everything this place is about...just stand tall and see it out!

Besides, I thought ATS was about how "big" it could become lately, in that instance there's no such thing as bad publicity.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
All I can say is thank goodness you implemented the vetting process for membership!!!
Nice timing!!

This place could be swamped in the next day or so. But then again who watches MSNBC?

Right! The people who watch MSNBC probally see us as a bunch of "crack-pots" or "wackos". They won't take us seriously- and thats fine- better to fly under the radar at this point.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join