It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam share common origin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I recently heard an interpretation of Genesis that traces the roots of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity back to Abraham. Ishmael, Abraham's son with the slave girl Hagar, is said to be the father of Islam, the seed of bondage. The child of bondage signifies the law, a salvation of works. Isaac, Abraham's son with Sarah (when he was 100 and she was 90 yrs old) is said to be the father of Judaism, the seed of promise. The child of promise signifies salvation by grace through faith. From Isaacs line would come the Redeemer (Christ). Genesis 17:20-21 touches on this. Galatians 4:21-31 expands on it. Galatians 4:23 says "But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise."

Of the promised Redeemer Genesis 3:15 says (God speaking to the serpent), "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between thy seed (bondage) and her seed (Redeemer); it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

I relate this last passage to the mysteries of the holy rosary, in which the fifth glorious mystery states, " The angels and the saints longed for the coming of her (the Virgin Mary) whose heel crushes the head of the serpent." Mary was descended from Isaac, the seed of promise, and beget Christ, the Redeemer.

Any comments, opinions, advice? I'm definitely not a Biblical scholar, just someone who cares, believes, and has faith.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Actually, Christianity and Islam share the common origin of Judaism, much like all eastern religions share the common origin of Hinudism.

There's really only two main root organized religions in the world.

The oldest is polytheistic: Hindu

And next oldest is monotheistic: Judaism

(Not counting earlier animist native spirit religions as organized.)

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Icarus Rising
...........quote///CHRIST proceeded forth from the Virgin Mary,
as Adam had from the earth: Adam by the inbreathing of the Spirit of God—And breathed into him the breath of life;—and Christ by the coming of the Holy Spirit—the Holy Spirit shall come upon thee—was said of the Virgin Mary. Thus Christ came forth according to the likeness of Adam (Gen 2:7; Luke 1:35).

But Christ also proceeded forth accordingly to the likeness of Eve: thus Eve came forth from a father without a mother ("from the rib"),
so Christ came forth from a mother without a father (she "knew not a husband").
Just as the first Adam brought forth from Eve without the participation of a woman,
so Mary brought forth Christ without the participation of a man.
Eve appeared only by the "seed" of a man,
and Christ appeared only by the "seed" of a woman.
The means whereby Eve and Christ came into being are identical: both received human nature by the power of God from one sex.
At first the woman (Eve) did so from a man,
and thereafter the man (Christ) did so from a woman.
Thus Christ received the nature of the first Adam,
the nature of all mankind,
or the whole Adam from Mary,
who gave Him this nature of Adam.
For this reason as Adam said of Eve so can we say of Mary, and through her even of Christ: This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh. Through the Virgin Mary our nature exists in Christ, the Second Adam (Genesis 2:21, 23; Luke 1:34).

This is alot of info to copy down here..(i know its copy and paste .....but others get upset if its too long,....and I can see their point)
But to understand the meaning behind the Genesis 3:15 you do have to read the explanation it gives us......
helen.....

www.orthodoxinfo.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Islam's father is Ishmael, Abraham's "other" son. They also follow Mohammad, which is indeed recognized by Christianity as a prophet.

Christianity recognizes both Abraham and Ishmael, so yes, they do have similiar prophets, origins, etc.

Both do derive from Judaism, as stated before. Christianity is a Jewish sect, seeing as Jesus Christ WAS a Jew.

-wD

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
helen,

i haven't even read the link yet, but just wanted to say that your post was super profound for me, thank you so much. wow.

WeBDevil,

it states in the fourth joyful mystery of the holy rosary that

Jesus is not subject to the law of Moses, yet to teach obediance, submits to it.

Mary is not subject to the law of purification, yet in humility she submits to it.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
yes, all three share the common origin of the Creator, who we call God. of course, christianity is an offshoot of judaism, which is perhaps the most accurate religions in worshipping the one true God, and Islam was begat by the prophet mohammed and is another offshoot of judaism.

which i believe somebody else said. but that's what i know of it.

new topics

top topics

join