It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Robbed at the Gas Pumps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Thanks for the battery capacitor links XL5.

I think we have a lot of good options to replace oil.

Bottom line, oil apparently isn't going to be a "forever" fuel source. If there are cleaner/renewable options to be developed, then we damn sure ought to pursue that. The fingers point to "cost" and such as an excuse not to pursue it. We aren't talking about cost, we are talking about the future of the planet. We had better figure it out how to make it happen. With all our advancing computer technology, I say yes we can and we must make it happen.

And come on, the progress toward better fuels is being slowed. Electric cars were on the road years ago, and the technology "somehow" hasn't progressed to the point where it is viable or at least further along? And I allready mentioned hydrogen can be produced by bacteria.

If I were the oil industries and knew my profits weren't going to last, and the fuel source will end, then I would invest in other technologies and make money that way.

Troy

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'm not saying that capacitors are bogus, but they're designed to charge and discharge real fast, which is exactly what you don't want when it comes to running a car.

One of the articles you cited says the same thing:

"One advantage of the ultra capacitor is that they charge really fast and they discharge really fast," said Luke Graham from Portland, OR majoring in mechanical engineering."

"Ultra capacitors hold less energy than the batteries used in the vehicles so the team tows "EV1" to the starting line before the start of each drag race. The large capacitors hold enough energy for the car to run for 20 seconds, which is just enough for the EV1 to coast across the finish line."

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Cybertroy says:

"And I allready mentioned hydrogen can be produced by bacteria."

And I already mentioned that it can't be done cost-effectively -- at least not yet.

Perhaps we sould use our knowledge of designing bacteria to geneticallyengineer a bug that can do ita thousand times faster than now, but how long would that take?

And what would the Luddites say about that? There are already thousands of people who are against genetically modifying foodstuffs; do you think they'd go away if we tried to design a bacteria-producing bacterium?

That's the key here, Cybertroy. Being able to do something isn't as important as being able to do something cheaply. Otherwise, it's just a scientific curiousity....

...and we're looking for real-life solutions to real-life problems.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Smirkley says:

"The Watts Bar plant was the last commissioned plant, and it took 23 years to approve, but this plant is far from being representative of typical. From the beginning it was plagued with issue's, as well as the TVA being nearly broke at the time."

Thank God for that. But I'm guessing that even with a shortened time frame, a good portion of the delays are caused by lawsuits just to lengthen the time and drive up the costs, thus making the N-plants cost-ineffective.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I understand,... but capacitors, although designed for effecient charge/discharge rates, are very commonly used in applications that require little discharge in the sense you are suggesting. (electrolytic capacitors used in half/full wave ac rectified power supplies, as well as power 'storage' such as in AC motor inverter capacitor banks.)

At current technology levels, a capacitor has yet to pass the storage ability of regular ol' lead/acid batteries, but this is expected to be surpassed by double sometime this year.

An example of applying supercaps to current automotive hybrid systems is commented on the OEM's website,...

Large cells are also available and can be linked together to form power packs of up to 500 cells to power initial acceleration, operate electrical subsystems and recapture energy from braking for cleaner, more fuel-efficient hybrid electric/internal combustion buses, trucks and automobiles. Maxwell offers several integrated module and pack solutions that are available with active or passive voltage balancing.

www.maxwell.com...

As soon, and soon it will be, these 'magic' capacitors will be available in cost and ability, to provide a cleaner, safer, and of capacity, to be used in transportation as the sole energy storage device in a vehicle. Imagine a quick-charge at your local fillin' station that may take 10 minutes, and provide you with stored energy that when combined with regenerative braking power, will allow you to travel a hundred miles.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
smirkley, I gotta admit you make a good point. Obviously there seems to be some good stuff about capacitors, especially if they can get the cost and reliability together.

But we're still talking about burning hydrocarbons to create the electricity to charge those boogers, anyway.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yes,... Im thinking that capacitors would at least reduce the toxic waste associated with batteries.

Hydrogen isnt a bad idea, but as suggested,.. we're still splittin' atom's and burning hydrocarbons to make power, only to be used to produce hydrogen, (which is hard and dangerous to store), and then the Hydrogen will be burned in some fashion to create some mechanical motion.
There's alot of loss going on with all that conversion taking place.

And I dont want to be in a wreck with someone generating/storing hydrogen.

[edit on 29-3-2005 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here are some links from another post

www.zapworld.com...
www.eaaev.org...

Troy

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join