It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Robbed at the Gas Pumps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

from Kidfinger
There has been a four dollar increase for me at the pump since this time last year. That is a $208 increase in my yearly gas (auto) bill.

Jeez, Kid, how much are you paying for a gallon of gas down there? A four dollar increase sounds excessive.

Prices spiked to $2.19/gal for premium last week up here, then went down about 6 cents/gal since.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Getting robbed at the pumps? Blame the enviro-whackos who stop creation of other refineries. The US has not had a new refinery in over 25 years. You can produce all the oil you want but if you can't refine it, it doesn't matter.

Good point. The same enviro-whackos are also responsible for the conditions being prime for forest fires in the western US. 40 years of feel-good, but shortsighted policies that have little scientific basis damage us more than people think. These are the same people that of course don't want you to use nuclear power because of the waste disposal issues or use hydro-electric because some fish won't like it. Can't use windmills because some birds will die or some elitist doesn't want to have his nice view of the bay disturbed.

If it were up to some of these folks, we'd all have to ride bicycles and millions of us would have to find new jobs much closer to where we live.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter

Originally posted by Sistinas

Its called a bike.

Just think of all the money you would save by just getting rid of you car. ...
...No more speeding tickets

Actually I heard about someone getting a speeding ticket on his bicycle. I'm serious. It may have been thrown out or dismissed by the judge but I don't remember that part.

Its true. One of my friends who rides a bike got TWO tickets. Not one TWO. Both times in front of Dunkin Donuts
It was a speeding ticket( Can you believe that?) and one for riding on the sidewalk. He had to pay about 60 bucks in fine.

I'm getting me a hyrbid too

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
oh yeah gas prices are bad we have been arround 80 cents per liter. just so ya know there is aprox 4liters/us gallen. why are we not useing more synthetic fuels in our gas?. the first diesle ran on penut oil. we should also have actual synthetic oils for our cars. what is called synthetic oil is just manipulated oil.

as for suv's i was greatfull i was driveing my van in an accident i had in nov. if i had been driveing a newer car chances are i'd be dead. they realy need to go back to real cars that don't dent if you touch it wrong. instead of the beer cans they now call cars. i have no wonder that suv's are so popular, plainly put they are safer. on top of that they have room in them.

as for getting rid of my vehicle i want it back. transit costs me more than the damm gas did, they just raised the fare so even more so now. not to mention that transit take over 6 times as long to get anywhere. my half hour drive to work is now at least 3 hours. longer if i miss a conection. i once looked at takeing the train home from my grandparrents as my parrents were going to stay longer than i was able too instead of driveing the old gas guzzler i once owned. i changed my mind right quick forget the inconveniance and time it would have taken. driveing both ways was a fair amount cheeper than the train one way. if i remember correctly something like 50 bucks for gas round trip, and 80 for trainfair one way. (gas was cheeper then, but i imagine train fair went up as well)

as for bike yes i like to ride i have even done it before when it was a 10-15min car trip and an hour by bike. i had to stop as i broke an axle at 3 in the morning and in all honesty i was too tired at work. but it was better than the two and a half hour bus trip. that was just bad transit routes in this case i had to go from the subberbs downtown and back up to the subberbs not too far away. it was on the same road i lived on even.but there wasn't a bus across it.

nope transit may be better if you live and work downtown but it certainly is not cheeper, or is it anywhere near conveiniant. i prefer to tell a freind who calls sure be there in half an hour than i'll see you in a few hours. and thats besides the cost. and if gas is cheeper than transit for one person just think of the saveings with a friend along. nope soon as i can get the cash i'll have a truck again. it's just gonna take awile as transit is bleeding me dry.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Silly,
Why ride by Dunkin Donuts when everyone knows thats the polices favorite hangout?

I'm sure before long, it will be a requirement to have a "drivers liscense" for bicycle riders.
Hmmmm, what next...I got my eye on a scooter. Look out Phoenix!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I say I want gas to keep going up to wake people up.. Maybe Alaska looking a little better now?

But, I'm the one that has to drive 20 miles to work one way. 7 days a week.... Bicicyle would take too long.. Especially since I live in a rural area and its nothing but hills.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Silly,
Why ride by Dunkin Donuts when everyone knows thats the polices favorite hangout?

Well you see, my friend isnt the brightest crayon in the box. A sandwich short of a picnic. You'd think he would have wisened up the second time around!

Using a bike for long distances is not practical. Scooters! Hmm..we should come up with super-solar-scooters with blinking yellow/red lights..

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
bicycle tickets. havn't gotten one myself but a good friend has in spades. multiple speeding (while going down a hill), doubleing, rideing on the sidewalk (on a 2 lane st where the traffic goes about 80 kph), and dangerous driveing (he had to swerve arround a grate). one moron i know managed to get a dui while rideing a bike. to the best of my knowlege only the doubling one was thown out due to the fact he was in a driveway of a school not on the public street. (the cop hadn't actualy seen him on the road, though he had been. i was with him that time)

that was in the subberbs. downtown bikes are well known for (i have seen it many times myself), going through red lights and stop signs, rideing on the sidewalk, cutting off traffic, hit and run accidents with cars, dui's (they sure look like it to me), wrong way on one way roads, and dangerous driveing (if you can think of it they probably do it). and no tickes are typicaly handed out. amounst those that drive cars bikes, taxies and rollerbladers should not be allowed on the road do to the dangers they cause by their driveing habbits. personaly i think that they need to actualy bust taxis for violations, and you should need a valid licence to ride a bike on the street as for rollerbladers they should never be on a city street. (ever have one fall right in front of your car? i have.)

someone mentioned pedestrians. as far as i'm concerned the law should be if you jaywalk you are fair game. you don't just walk out into traffic just because if you get hit the driver is to blame. nothing wrong with jay walking just don't be an idiot about it. wait for a break in traffic.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'm an SUV owner and proud of it. If the price goes to $80 a barrel I'll live with it. It's not about ego its about practicality. I can't drive a bike to work thats over 20 miles away during the winter (I do own and use a mountain bike a lot for recreation). If the gov't would spend the money on practical mass transit options I'd be all over that. My 2nd car is a gas miser so I can maintain a decent balance on costs.

brill

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't like paying $2.00+ for gas but I can see a benefit from the prices going up even more. It'll increase public demand for an alternative. That would be a good thing. I would have to get a job considerably closer to home to ride a bike to work again. I loved it when I could ride to and from work but at 55 miles one way, it's not really a good idea now.

someone mentioned pedestrians. as far as i'm concerned the law should be if you jaywalk you are fair game. you don't just walk out into traffic just because if you get hit the driver is to blame. nothing wrong with jay walking just don't be an idiot about it. wait for a break in traffic.

Fair game sounds a bit cold. I wouldn't want to hit anybody, right of way or not.

As a driver and a bicyclist, I'd like to point out or remind drivers that bicyclists are traffic by law and right. They are to follow the rules of the road the same as drivers. It's amazing how many people feel that bicycles don't belong on the road and sometimes go out of their way to create a dangerous situation. If you ride a bike, you know what I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
As far as I know L.A is the only city with bike lane on the street. I could be wrong about being the only city. I only lived in L.A for short time back in the early 80's, and I did not go to other Cali city while I was there. If this is where your friend got their tickets. I can see how the riding on the sidewalk came about. But the speeding one is a whole other story. I would have to take that one to court. How would you even know how fast you were going? The next thing you know someone will get a ticket for running to fast.

There should be more mass transit. If there was we would be alot better off. Why more mass transit was not put in after the 70's I haven't a clue. Looks like we would have learned something from that.

Sis

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I cancelled plans this weekend partly due to the cost of gas. The trip would have cost me about $35 in gas. Doesnt sound like alot of money in the grand scheme of things, but for a drive to some relatives to say "hi" its pricey.

You know its funny, even if every person in the US has a hybrid car/truck and halved the oil consumption tomorrow, the prices would still climb. Its the nature of it. It all boils down to a few powerfull people sitting around some tables making up what they want to charge. Isnt that scary?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Gas pump prices are usually (barring sudden events) the net result of future prices set some month's ago. Based on only using the percentage change in oil futures months ago, I myself was able to foresee the current gas price trends, and they are still lower than the $2.50 average I expected to occur back then. Link

Do an experiment,... take notes on oil future trend lines that are currently active for open contracts. Note the changes for the soonest to expire contracts,... make a judgement based on the trend line, ... and wait and see.

BarChart.com - oil futures

Note the peak in October,.. I think that is where we are now in gas price trends. With that in mind,... I am thinking that prices will trend up a bit more till they relax a little for a couple months or so,... then the big ride up the latest monster hill.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by smirkley]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

As far as I know L.A is the only city with bike lane on the street. I could be wrong about being the only city. I only lived in L.A for short time back in the early 80's, and I did not go to other Cali city while I was there.

Other cities have bike lanes also, mostly out west. Colorado has them. It's next to impossible in lots of old, east coast cities because of overgrowth. Plus, it's unsafe. I know that here in the Boston area, lots of people use the breakdown lanes just like another commuter lane - it's crazy, and dangerous.

There should be more mass transit. If there was we would be alot better off. Why more mass transit was not put in after the 70's I haven't a clue. Looks like we would have learned something from that.

Now that is one thing we can do here in the east. Rebuild old train tracks/trails for mass transit. But you're right - it's cheaper and easier to build it into the original plan for a city than to have to go and squeeze it in afterwards.

I remember a time when mopeds were popular. Hey dg, that's what you need!

[edit on 25-3-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

Originally posted by Carseller4
Getting robbed at the pumps? Blame the enviro-whackos who stop creation of other refineries. The US has not had a new refinery in over 25 years. You can produce all the oil you want but if you can't refine it, it doesn't matter.

Good point. The same enviro-whackos are also responsible for the conditions being prime for forest fires in the western US. 40 years of feel-good, but shortsighted policies that have little scientific basis damage us more than people think. These are the same people that of course don't want you to use nuclear power because of the waste disposal issues or use hydro-electric because some fish won't like it. Can't use windmills because some birds will die or some elitist doesn't want to have his nice view of the bay disturbed.

If it were up to some of these folks, we'd all have to ride bicycles and millions of us would have to find new jobs much closer to where we live.

Hey, there ya go. Unlike some, it seems we didn't forget the amount of stipulations placed upon refineries to bring about just this scenario. To the envros, this is their goal. In fact, their goal is an increasing price to over 4 bucks a gallon to halt the economy and stop CO2 because unlike the rest of us who have been observing real-time data for the past 20 years, they're still stuck on their model. I can't count the times I've read post ..even on this site, which tout the model as true data.

Well, whether CO2 has a global climate affect or not, we are now commited to their agenda. I just hope when it turns out that CO2 was never the cause but a result of global temperature rise, we can all look back and say "oh well, learn something new everyday." Actually, we learned it a long time ago...we're just having trouble getting through the emotional and political scare tactics.

BTW, I drive a 4 cylinder that gets 36 mpg and I'm just here right now because I stayed late to be able to pick my son up from school without making two separate trips. Everyone else went home at noon for Good Friday. Thanks enviros, Thanks oil tycoons, thanks good for nothing oil shieks. Hope you all drown in the stuff one day. I can hardly wait to the day when none of you matter...if it ever gets here!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I hope gas gose up to 10$ a gallon too. Then maybe I could take a breath when I walk down the street without choking. I got the best gas saving vehicle on my block. Its lean green and dose not have a gas tank. Its called a bike.

Just think of all the money you would save by just getting rid of you car. No more tags to buy. No more insurance to buy. No more sale tax. No more parking fees. No more speeding tickets

And we would not have an obesity problem like we do now.

Sis

Oh yeah, I already drive about 25 minutes to the train station. I can only imagine how long of a bike ride that would be in a New York winter.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What do you expect?

These same nutburgs who wail about the price of gas being so high are also the same losers who don't want us to expand our own capability to meet the need, preferring (I suppose) to have us support that OPEC thugs.

And the same nutburgs who whine about solar, biomass, hydro, and wind-turbine energy are simply incapable of doing any sort of engineering analysis to determine what approach is cost-effective -- which solar, biomass, hydro, and wind-turbine energy are not.

And they're the ones who -- when shown that the only effective alternative -- from both cost and health points of view -- is nuclear power, believe that if we build another nuclear plant it will immediately turn into a Big Hydrogen Bomb Which Will Explode And Kill Us All.

But what do you expect when you allow technological illiterates to vote and actually make public policy?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I remember a time when mopeds were popular. Hey dg, that's what you need!

[edit on 25-3-2005 by jsobecky]
I already saw a bright pink one i want and a pink helmet

I'll look like an advertisemt for "Grease"

Why not, I fit the part

My husband says go for it but dont travel too far...If i can get to work, and to some stores that would be awesome!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Sorry for the post within the post

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Forget the SUV owner - that was a choice (poor mpg for image).

If gas/diesel prices rise to where predicted, the increase will hit the transportation industry hard, look for higher prices on potentially everything. Even companies like Fed-Ex already have a separate line charge (fuel surcharge), so delivery service costs will increase.

My stepdad was a long haul truck driver. His motto was, "If you got it, a truck brought it." Made me realize how much we depend on the trucking industry...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join