It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Philippines Put On High Terror Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Today in Sydney, Australia, Australian and American citizens are being warned not to travel to the Philippines unless it is essential travel, because of fears of an upcoming terrorist attack. Authorities in the U.S and Australia issued the high alert travel warning after saying they had received information and believed that terrorist attacks were being planned in the Philippines

edition.cnn.com
Authorities said that citizens should defer all non-essential travel to Mindanao in the south, and defer all travel to the Zamboanga peninsula and the Sulu archipelago.

The alerts in particular warn citizens to stay away from areas known to be frequented by foreigners, including coastal resorts.

"We continue to receive reports that terrorists in the region are planning attacks. Recent reports suggest that terrorists may be in the final stages of planning an attack," the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in a statement late on Thursday.

"Attacks could occur at any time, anywhere in the Philippines. Australians planning travel to the Philippines should consider this information carefully in deciding whether to travel at this time," it said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It was only last month when three bombs exploded in Manila and two other cities within the Philippines, killing eight people and wounding over 100. This is all down to the works of the Abu Sayyaf group who claimed to be attacking in response to a major military push against Islamic militants in southern Philippines. Fighting a fight will not work, all it means is more bloodshed and deaths. I hope that for once terrorists stop attacking innocent civilians.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Thanks for reporting on this. I've been harping about the deteriorating situation in Asia/Pac for a while now. The world did not gain any forward-looking capabilities from anything that has happened on or since 9/11.

The world continues to be reactionary to violent events, but takes no visible steps in preventive measures in the form of cooperation to thwart capabilities BEFORE they are created. If we want to cry there is some "war on terrorism" we should be working globally to prevent the construction of infrastructures where they do not yet exist, but show signs of wanting to.

I don't think anybody realizes that Thailand had not had a single instance of terrorism until this year. And now...it's a daily occurrence. The southern provinces are being inundated with militant insurgents, police are being ambushed and blown up. And I haven't heard a word about the great U.S. War on Terrorism making a "we're here if you need us in any way" phone call. No - that's not dramatic enough for us I guess. Let's let them get completely over ran and then wring our hands at how a once peaceful nation has gone all extemist on us. We're to busy threatening the leader of Indonesia to hand over his citizens to us so we can throw them in Gitmo to bother with what's going on in Thailand.

Asia/Pac, in my opinion, will be the next large-scale terrorist attack. I fear most for Kuala Lumpur and the Strait of Malacca. And while these countries swirl like a turd in a toilet bowl, the rest of the world seems to be standing over them wow'd by the fact the water swirls the wrong way.

Here are the articles I have written on the various things going on in the Asia/Pac region to date:

Did the U.S. threaten Indonesian President?

World Snapshot for 02/17/05 - First Terrorist Attack ever in Thailand

World Snapshot for 02/18/05

The Storm Brewing in the Philippines

World Snapshot for 02/23/05

World Snapshot for 02/24/05

World Snapshot for 02/25/05

World Snapshot for 03/04/05

World Snapshot for 03/05/05

World Snapshot for 03/08/05

World Snapshot for 03/09/05

Increased Threats of Terrorist Attacks in Malaysia

World Snapshot for 03/10/05

U.S. State Dept Renews Global Terror Alert

World Snapshot for 03/11/05

World Snapshot for 03/14/05

World Snapshot for 03/15/05

World Snapshot for 03/18/05

World Snapshot for 03/21/05

World Snapshot for 03/22/05

World Snapshot for 03/23/05

World Snapshot for 03/24/05

[edit on 3-25-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Arroyo's regime is a tyranny that has oppressed muslims for years, and this government has been executing muslim prisoners that were put in jail only because of unsubstanciated claims of terrorist acts... This whole High securitty alert is a bunch of rubbish... same thing as what the Bush adminsitration has been doing since sept 11 2001; waving non-existent terro-threats through the media to justify drastic changes in national security policy and for imprisoning more muslims without nay trials.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Not to quibble, but isn't this more along the lines of "Travel Warnings Issued Related to Philippines Terrorism Concerns' rather than 'the Philippine government has raised their internal terror alert level'??

top topics

join