It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phycology (gaze)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I am studing intresting topic in phycology:

What if i am looking on another person in his eyes, but he or she can not see me. What happened with her/him. Why? (
CLUE: he/she become nervous)

Did you heared anything about it?
Do you have any books, articles about it?

write something.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I do not understand exactly what it is you are asking. Would you care to elaborate?
I did an individual study on personality theories once. This is a very interesting aspect of psychology. I would be more than happy to help you if you can help me understand what you are asking.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Um, they have a piece of paper in front of them? I really have no idea are even beginning to tak about. Please

elaborate

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
To understand better what i mean. Here tip:

When you look at person eye they alwayes turn around and look at you. Why?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This is either really stupid of me....or ahem, you are...You are looking at their reflection in a mirror while you are standing behind them?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pushkin

if you are looking at a persons eye(s) then you must be in front of them enless your looking in a mirror or something so if you where in front of them why would they turn around to see you if your right in front of him/her.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I was actually just talking about this the other day.

Looking someone in the eyes is a sign of deep interest, of focus. That's why you should always look anyone you're talking to right in the eye. It shows respect, attention, and care. A random person, however, will feel uneasy. 'Why are you looking at me? Do I know them? Who are they?' Things like this. When you direct that focus, that attention onto somebody for no reason, they react oddly.

I live in New York City, so everynow and then I test it out. Most people avoid your look, and if they can, try and look back briefly to see if you're still looking. Some look back (but that could also be because I'm hot 'n sexy
) and some also respond with a nice "F*** YOU MAN!"

If someone looks at you, and you don't know them, it's a stare. If someone stares at you, stare back, it'll stop them from doing it. And you'll both have a good story.

A lot of it also has to do with society. We're often very hedonistic, and tend to avoid painful/uncomfortable situations, of which the above is.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
I was actually just talking about this the other day.

Looking someone in the eyes is a sign of deep interest, of focus. That's why you should always look anyone you're talking to right in the eye. It shows respect, attention, and care. A random person, however, will feel uneasy. 'Why are you looking at me? Do I know them? Who are they?' Things like this. When you direct that focus, that attention onto somebody for no reason, they react oddly.

I live in New York City, so everynow and then I test it out. Most people avoid your look, and if they can, try and look back briefly to see if you're still looking. Some look back (but that could also be because I'm hot 'n sexy
) and some also respond with a nice "F*** YOU MAN!"

If someone looks at you, and you don't know them, it's a stare. If someone stares at you, stare back, it'll stop them from doing it. And you'll both have a good story.

A lot of it also has to do with society. We're often very hedonistic, and tend to avoid painful/uncomfortable situations, of which the above is.

I've also read another take on this as well. It was saying that eye contact between people is also a more primal communication that relates either dominance of one animal over another or simply the would be meal of one animal to another. That's why you're family dog will (usually) not win in a staring contest. Although, they might take it as a type of challenge if neither of you look away. The theory suggested the same worked between people as well.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
I've also read another take on this as well. It was saying that eye contact between people is also a more primal communication that relates either dominance of one animal over another or simply the would be meal of one animal to another. That's why you're family dog will (usually) not win in a staring contest. Although, they might take it as a type of challenge if neither of you look away. The theory suggested the same worked between people as well.

Absolutely. Animals are much less able to express themselves directly, and use other methods such as eye contact, smells, and body actions to convey what needs to be conveyed. If you've ever seen The Jungle Book (Not the cartoon, the acted version - SO GOOD!) at the end Moguli stares with Sher-Khan. Because Moguli shows no fear and can withstand the glare, he is accepted into the jungle.

Never forget that everything you do sends a message. Whether its a cigarette in your hand or the grammatical error I bolded, everything sends a message, and is there to be picked up on.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Do you mean, when you stare at a person they turn to you and stare? If this is what you mean, yes. Instinctively one can feel when others stare at you.
Can you clarify your point so we dont have to guess?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Going to move this to the paranormal forum.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Umm? wizzle wuzzle slipperydip soup-spoon?

Do you mean why do people seem to sense when someone is staring at them??

Well I notice that very few actually do you know. It is just the coincidences that stand out. Like looking at the clock when it is 11:11 and thinking 'this always happens' when really it happens lessthan 1% of the time.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeboiabe

if you are looking at a persons eye(s) then you must be in front of them enless your looking in a mirror or something so if you where in front of them why would they turn around to see you if your right in front of him/her.

You are wrong!
You can still look at people eye when they standing back to you. I know aproximetly where eye are so i am look there. Or they standing in front to me but theier head is down and i still can see trey eyes and look in them.
SO why they alwayes trurned and look at me back?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Pushkin,

Are you able to express what you mean?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
It is just the coincidences that stand out. Like looking at the clock when it is 11:11 and thinking 'this always happens' when really it happens lessthan 1% of the time.

OMFG ALL THE TIME! It's insane. Like when you pause a song at 3:00 exactly, or you look at your watch at 6:59:59 and your alarm is for 7.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
yes, this happens to me too, but only for me it is 5:59:59 cuz i get up at 6:00:00.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Heh, no alarm for me, actually. I just wake up naturally at 5:48, every weekday, and 8:17 on the weekend.

top topics

join