It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air France to order seven Boeing cargo planes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Its an interesting move and I was a more than a bit surprised by it. Air France which recently excised options to buy 4 777-300's is now set to buy 7 777F's to start replacing its 747F's for its cargo fleet. Im knew Boeing was looking at a 777F but did not know they had already launched it.

Im surprised they did not go for a A340 or 330 cargo variant being AF and all?? So its either a political move, or a sign that at the very least the economics are better?

PARIS (AFP) - Air France is about to place a 1.5-billion-dollar (1.16 billion euros) order for seven Boeing 777 freight planes to replace part of its fleet.

The planes will go into service in 2008 to replace part of the Boeing 747 cargo fleet, the French economic daily La Tribune said, without providing sources for its report.
Air France

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Do you know what the Price difference is between the A330 Cargo, and the 777 Cargo is? I would think that Airbuses would be cheaper, which would make this an odd move.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Do you know what the Price difference is between the A330 Cargo, and the 777 Cargo is? I would think that Airbuses would be cheaper, which would make this an odd move.

I think the list price is cheaper, and despite all the nay sayers, AF despite the moves to privatize it still is tightly knit with the French Government which promotes Airbus heavily. It may be part of thier merger with KLM may also be having an effect on this as well. the article seems to imply that the AF Cargo is a seperate entity much like Luftansa or SIA, but my 2005 AWST Source book does not list the AF cargo unit as a seperate entity.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The A330 list price IS cheaper, but due to the low price of the Dollar atm, the 777 works out cheaper at the moment whereas the A330 would be sold in Euros to the French. Thats probably why they have chosen Boeing aircraft.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
The A330 list price IS cheaper, but due to the low price of the Dollar atm, the 777 works out cheaper at the moment whereas the A330 would be sold in Euros to the French. Thats probably why they have chosen Boeing aircraft.

Hmmm, it thought Airbuses were priced in dollars. In fact im 95% sure they area. However, as I have been trying to find out, but cannot find any proof, and even my contacts at Boeing cannot help, AB I think is pricing thier planes at near cost to build market share. Thier profits can be hidden within the massive EADS balance sheet quite well to cover this.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I found this:

Airliners, including Airbus, are priced in dollars.
in.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Interesting. Didnt know that, and it really doesnt make sense other than to put a standard currency figure on all aircraft.

[edit on 24/3/2005 by RichardPrice]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
Interesting. Didnt know that, and it really doesnt make sense other than to put a standard currency figure on all aircraft.

[edit on 24/3/2005 by RichardPrice]

I also found out that spare part however are in Euro's so we will sell you the plane but fixing it will be very expensive right now

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I also found out that spare part however are in Euro's so we will sell you the plane but fixing it will be very expensive right now

Now *that* sounds like Boeing all right

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Maybe France realized the Boeings were better planes for the purpose they needed and worth the exra cost? Please dont dissregard these fine Boeing airplanes.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Maybe France realized the Boeings were better planes for the purpose they needed and worth the exra cost? Please dont dissregard these fine Boeing airplanes.

I dont think either myself or FredT disregard either Airbus or Boeing out of hand, and personally, while I might defend Airbus, I know that Boeing make damn good aircraft
As you said, this is probably a case of best plane for the job at the best price at the best time.

One of the major factors I think is that Boeing could deliver sooner than Airbus (who currently have a larger order list than Boeing).

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Isn't the A340/A330 fuselage much narrower than the 777? I believe the 767 is the closest rival to A330/340 size wise.
The 777 was designed to replace older 747's, therefore it is in a different class size to the Airbus and its freighter variant will naturally have a greater capacity and width, probably enough to accomodate two LD3 containers side by side. I would think this was the reason as the 777F would be a good bridge between the the A330F and A380F in size, there being no equivalent Airbus.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by waynos]

new topics

top topics

join