It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protest gone bad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2002 @ 10:19 PM
link   
portland.indymedia.org:8081...

If this article is right,then the police made a big mistake.

posted on Aug, 29 2002 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Some of the other eyewitness accounts on that site indicate that it wasn't just the police that were at fault. Some of the protesters were juvenile "anarchists" egging the police on, screaming in their faces, and refusing to comply with simple requests (no offense inteded if you actually are an anarchist, I know what the term actually means). This isn't to say the police weren't at fault, because they were, but some of the blame needs to rest on a small contingent of the protesters as well.

Also, did you see the eyewitness account on there about the guy that brought his three children to the protest (including a ten month old). All of them got maced. Now, while there is absolutely no excuse for macing children, why in the bleeding blue hell would you bring children to a protest? Yeah, in a perfect world, you should be able to, but this is reality. If you know a place is prone to violent outbursts and police brutality, why would you take your kids there? It's like if you were a female, would you walk alone at night in Oakland in California? Yeah, you ought to be able to legally, but you'd be wise not to. The guy obviously cared more about making a political statement than the safety of his children. Makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 29 2002 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I particularly loved the pinko quoting Thomas Jefferson!

posted on Aug, 29 2002 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Bringing kids to protest is a major brain fart.Very rarely do I agree with protesters.
But they do have the right to protest.I think the police went overboard on this.

posted on Aug, 30 2002 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm afraid to even guess. The folks protesting authority will push the poor cops to the hilt, and then exaggerate the response. Pictures speak a 1,000 words, but with angle usage can lie a 1,001 words. On the other hand, the authority wants us to be subjugated cattle as well.
Darn, its hard to know the truth from way over here in the east.

posted on Aug, 30 2002 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What I'm concerned about is, I live on the West coast,and I'm not seeing anything on the new's about this.Even when it first happened it was a small segment on the new's.

posted on Aug, 30 2002 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You know, now that you mention it, that is absolutely true.

Most of the time its what isn't reported that is important to note instead of what is reported.

Nyeff, are you of the mindset that the media is controlled by the same ones that pull the strings of the political puppets? Some folks, like William, don't see the connection, which is fine with me, but I find it too ironic that the heavies in the media are left-wingers, who are the main ramrods of the social engineering of the New America, while the republicans are the ones to have in when it is time to do the flag-waving line-towing noose-tightening around the world. The social engineers control what is relayed around the country, and it would seem that this indicates the two "sides" are really only different parts of the same body.

posted on Aug, 30 2002 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think the media controls when we see certain things.I think what they tell us is more or less the truth.If this protest had happened before 9/11 it would be plastered all over the news.Now with America being more patriotic,most people probably look down on protesters.And it would look really bad when we are fighting a war based on freedom.

But yes I think the media controls when and what we see. And the government probably has guidelines of what the media can show.

[Edited on 01-08-2002 by nyeff]

posted on Sep, 7 2002 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Hello everyone

I do actions against this ape (sick) science lab in the netherlands were there are 1600 apes, who know wat hell is,
its a lab who only thinks about money,
they get like about 6 miljons of dollars every year and that money goes into there pockets! last money was supost to be for the monkeys so they had a better live! some were born in a cage there and never been out! some are in so smalll cages that there leggs have grown to there body! because they must lie down al the time. they even sow there eye lids close to see if the money can still see after 1-3 years!!!!!!!

My actions are legal and peacefull, like my other action people,
and i can tell you this, the police always try to get a exuse to arrest us, they even use violence against us when we are just standing there with out pictures of the apes outside the lab! they try to provoke us to do something back so they can arrest us, but we dont! so they still arrest us and make a story up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they even ride with there horses true us!
there sick!

the police are facists scum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2002 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I agree with the fact that there may have been some protesters who were instigating the police. But the great majority were peaceful. I think the police made a mistake. As far as the media is concerned, I think the media today is a joke if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 8 2002 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is news to me and I don't like it. I have my doubts about how much the police were instigated. CNN.com reported that the riot police were called in because "protesters refused to back off a barricade near the hotel." These cops came in there dressed like an army of Darth Vaders- packing prods, batons, mace canisters, and rifles loaded with those nasty rubber bullets (ever been hit with a paintball?).

The reason this doesn't sit well with me is because these people were excercising their right to peacefully assemble and were met with almost immediate violence for not moving away from a barricade; now excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a barricade to keep people away from something else? I'm just thinking that the Patriot Act was the first of what will be a long series of mandates and policies that will see our liberties stripped away. Fascism is such a strong word, but with National drivers license standardation and the ACLU's report that Attorney General Ashcroft had intentions to use intelligence powers to circumvent the Constitution it does seem that the government has every intention to use the War on Terrorism as an excuse to gain more power and take away the checks and balances that protect individuals.

Don't overlook the significance of this and don't blame the protestors.

posted on Sep, 9 2002 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The protestors can be just as extreme as the police. Sounds like the police were sick and tired of them. Let's face it protestors try and goad the police into overreacting otherwise their protest wouldn't make it on the back page of the local rag.
A police overreaction is exactly what they're aiming for !!

new topics

top topics

join