It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

info needed on Schizophrenia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I have searched through ATS to find if this has been covered, but i cant find anything. I have been searching throughout the internet to improve my knownledge on Schizophrenia and i need help understanding it from anyone who has it here or knows of people who have it. It would mean alot to me cause this is a personal matter for me.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Schizophrenia is a many a varied concept. There are many different synptoms that have gone into the diagnosis of schizophrenia, but a composite list will usually show that there are only generalizations.........uncomfortable thoughts, lack of motivation, disorganized thinking, slow thinking, difficulty understanding, poor concentration, poor memory, difficulty expressing thoughts, difficulty integrating thoughts, feelings and behavior, and social disorders that result in self-isolation. Any one of these symptoms can be attributed to a potentially normal abberation dependent on individual circumstances and as such, I have difficulty in negotiating the term schizophrenia and its clinical relevants. The most common symptom associated with schizophrenia is the hearing of voices and a close second is delusion.

Schizophrenia should not be confused with Multiple Personality Disorder, or Dissociative State Disorder.

As to the difficulty in even defining schizophrenia, I would recommend specific question(s), infinite. I have some experience with the subject and can probably be of some help if I understand what you are looking for.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You can start out by googling the anti-psychotic medicines Haldol (Haloperidol), Meleril (Thioridazine), Prolixin (Fluphenazine), Risperdal (Risperidone), Serentil (Mesoridazine), Seroquel (Quetiapine), Thorazine (Chlorpromazine), Zyprexa (Olanzapine), etc. I have a father, brother, & 2 close aunts who suffer from this disease and these are some of the medications they have been on the past 25 years. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Sometimes those that live with the people suffering this tragic disease can shed more light than the case-study 'experts'.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What sort of info are you looking for? u2u me.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
www.nami.org...
(NAMI-National Alliance for the Mentally Ill)

www.nimh.nih.gov...
(National Institute for Mental Health)

www.webmd.com...
(type in schizophrenia in search box)

www.schizophrenia.org...
(schiz info)

www.schizophrenia.com...
(schiz info)

(discussion forum for those diagnosed. you can log in as a guest and read personal accounts and day-to-day life. Or, if you're the person diagnosed, you can create an account and ask questions. You'll get genuine, heart-felt answers from those afflicted with schiz.)

Dot.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by dotgov101]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I do not know that much about the biological stuff about the disease but I will share my experiences with someone whom I know who is Schizophrenic. Let's call him Bob, he is in his mid-30s and supposedly he did alot of '___' back in the late 70s early 80s and one day he took a huge dose stipped naked and started to do laps.....in the middle of winter. He was not the same since. Now he is a scary person to be around as he talks to himself and is just not right in the head. I'm sorry but I rarely interacted with this guy so I cannot say much more then that. Recently Bob stopped taking his medication and got arrested for sexual moelstation of a middle aged housewife(It is actually quite humourous when you hear her telling it now a few years later) and he got picked up and sent to the insane asylum. He's released now and in the custody of his Sister-in-law and Brother, he requires 24 hour care as he cannot be trusted to take his meds. His speech was very hard to understand, very bumbling and halting but mostly very well scared sounding. That is all I have I hope it helps.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here's a little something I dug up espically for you

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
thank you, i shall read up.

I really want to know how to cope and deal with it.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Last summer I worked in a psych ward as a security guard and many of the patients were schizophrenic. Obviously I cannot talk about specific people (I signed papers promising I wouldn't) but I'll list some things I learned about it.

1) Schizophrenia is NOT multiple personality disorder. Apparently this is a huge misconception amongst the general public.
2) Schizophrenics usually hear voices in their heads. Sometimes it is just unintelligible whispering, like static noise. Often they hear the same thing repeated over and over, like 'my favorite color is red' or something silly/harmless like that. Some of the most serious cases hear what are called 'command voices' which are pretty scary. The 'voices' tell the person to do something, and they can't help themselves, like 'go beat up that guy on the street corner'. That's pretty rare though, as I understand it, especially with medication, but it does happen.
3) I saw a statistic in a hospital brochure that said 1% of the population has schizophrenia.
4) Schizophrenia is extremely hard to diagnose. There aren't a set list of symptoms like there are for, say, heart disease or lung cancer. I saw cases where one psychiatrist would diagnose a patient as schizophrenic and another psychiatrist would diagnose the same patient as something else. Since you say this is a personal matter (I assume that means you or family/friend) it might be a good idea to get 2-3 opinions and go with the majority, if this hasn't already been done.
5) Most people with schizophrenia are usually OK if they take their medication properly. Most of the people I saw were either newly diagnosed or had quit taking their drugs because they thought they were 'cured'. If people are taking their drugs, they usually seem quite normal.

I'd be happy to answer any u2u questions you have about this (as long as they don't relate to something I signed papers saying I wouldn't divulge, which basically means personal info on patients) but keep in mind I am not a medical person, I was just a security guard (as mentioned above) and my schooling isn't related to this area either (I'm in engineering) so I may not be the best person to ask, but I will try to help if I can.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My sister is schizophrenic. After many years & many different meds, she is functional and able to hold a steady job--although she is 42, lives with my parents, and still has infrequent "episodes." What really helped her get on track in addition to the proper meds was establishing routines.

Her life has to be very organized--she gets up at the same time, has a job that is very predictable, her apartment has to be extremely neat, and her after-work activities are planned in advance. Also, she started taking karate as an outlet for her frustrations and to help her gain mental balance--it really made an extraordinary difference. She is a second-degree black-belt now because unlike most people, her need to adhere to a regular routine enabled her to keep up with a four-class a week schedule for fifteen years.

Of course, when she misses a class, her world is turned upside down. Last year, she developed a torn rotator cuff in her shoulder which required surgery. She was out of commission for 4 months and it was a really tough time--little things started creeping in about how people at work were plotting against her. But as soon as she was back to her routine, everything was fine. Kinda like Rainman...

Also, her husband sometimes sets her off. She is married to someone who is also a paranoid schizophrenic--but also bipolar and has a "hoarding" OCD (he picks things out of the garbage and brings them home.) He is mostly out of control as his doctors haven't found the right meds--so he is either sedated or standing on the front porch of my parents house ranting, usually about government conspiracies (this really sits well with my dyed-in-the-wool republican father.) I think that my sister married him as some form of revenge on my parents. He can really throw a monkey-wrench into her routine--especially bringing garbage into her pristine home, frequent trips to the hospital, arguments, attempting to commit suicide by jumping out the first floor window and drinking an entire bottle of pancake syrup (he didn't die in either case...) Stability is important--for both of them. Unfortunately, when you put two schizophrenics together, you have one crazy household.

Makes for fun-filled family holidays, though--especially when turkey legs become weapons, dinner guests may be hallucinating, and the neighbors call the police when they hear screaming and furniture flying through windows. I just can't wait for Easter Sunday--I just hope that we don't have to attempt to eat a traditional lamb dinner with sporks again.

I have learned a lot about coping with mental illness as I have been dealing with it since I was 12. The only general advice I can give you is to try to keep your sense of humor about things and it really helps to talk to a therapist when you feel like you don't know what to do--when people close to you are suffering from mental illness it can certainly make YOU feel like you are going crazy, especially when you are facing situations for the first time.

If you want to talk, please don't hesitate to u2u....

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Many people who have mental illness are really demon possessed. See the study "Spirits in the presence of madness" by Dr. Wilson van Dusen, Cheif Psychologist at Mendocino State Hopital in Califorina. It was a 17 year study conferming Dr. Swedenborgs findings. I don't agree with the Swedenborg foundation. They are wierd.
You can download the pdf file here.

www.searchwithin.org...

My understanding is that is demonic, in all most all cases. Hence the voices are demons.

Medication, seems to help with behavior issues. I do not think they cure.

I far as coping, this is very hard. First do not try and control the person, you have to let them go to a point. It is often not possible to reason with such person, and you will find yourself drained by trying. You must admit, you cannot directly change them. Acceptance does not mean agreement. When they are “insane” you must realize this and deal with them in that mind set.
Do not tell them “they” are wrong, if they say something wacko. Say something, like “ I hear what you are say, but I do not agree with it or it does not make sense.” Instead of, “I do not agree with YOU.”
The more insane a person becomes, the more they feel outside of society, this starts to build, as more insane the become the more society, remove itself from, the insane. Deepings the feeling of loneliness, and separation, which in turns, led to deeper resentment, and anti-social behavior.
We have to find a way to be friendly, yet not support the “insane” behavior. In other words reward good behavior, as much as possible, with seeming to be faking it. This stops the anti-social cycle. They need love and understanding, without agreement to “insane” ideas. Change the topics to very simple things, like the weather, the garden, cooking, things that are concrete. Stay away from abstract, and metaphysical.
Any social interaction that can be had, is usually helpful, as long as it is safe. Have friends that can spend time with person, and will help in being concrete. Love and engagement are very important. As well as a feeling of being accepted.
Do not take any thing personal. Find healthy friends to hang out with to give you a healthy relationship. No man tears down his own house to build one for another. Take care of yourself first.
Pray, everyday. Read the bible.

Cure:
The problem started somehow, why? This is one of the powers of confession. The person will revel why they are in such a state.
My recommendation is to find a priest in the Eastern Orthodox Church, consult him, and perform the prayers exorcism. If there are any demons they will show themselves, and be forced to leave. Confession to the priest is very important, if possible.
If after, confession, and exorcism, the problem still persists, it may be demonic or not, but it maybe a physical problem as well. It is generally demonic. Not all priests, are helpful, sadly, most are, so you may have to try a couple different ones.

Take care, feel free to u2u me anytime

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
In today's world, one should not be trapped into thinking that a fictitious illnesses designed by huge pharmaceutical firms has any validity whatsoever.

Hey there are probably only twenty actual Schizophrenia personalities in the entire world, most of them probably run the drug cartels.

It is best in your mind here and now and forever to have total scepticism about the junk science and the more vicious side of psychotheraphy. Unless you know for certain that you are being helped, and find someone who will not give you poisons quietly run from any others. Avoid too much obsession with religion, and especially do not talk to others about your fictitious "illness." Such things may redirect you to the malpractitioners. Calm research of what they might be telling you about your estate is probably the best theraphy, since with handling the communication process you will learn the art of verbal self defense. Years of research has proved in my mind, that you can talk yourself into or out of almost anything.

Pharmaceutical cartels wish to utilize controls while having already proven to be at cause for genocide over the human race. Find friendly and helpful people, calm down, and avoid these labelers as much as possible. Learn how to read people, including yourself.

Remember how the government told people with Gulf War Syndrome that they were "nuts?" They sent them to mental health clinics, when they really needed antibiotics. Does anyone know how many deformed kids have been born because these war veterans did not get antibiotics and spread mycoplasmas to their families? Maybe Google for that one if you would.

Remember there is a labyrinth involved in this issue of mental health, you are the best person to determine who you are. If not, others will tell you who you are, and their terms are mostly to the downside. Life in these conditions is a matter of hierarchy, a question of dominant-submissive relationships. If you want to help yourself, find people who are your equals but also somewhat knowledgeable. There are many dim bulbs in this world who think they are on top.

If someone hands you a "personality test," look for the answer key first, memorize it, and try to avoid the financial losses. Demand second opinions as much as possible, tell people if you have not been eating right. Ask for vitamins and good nutrition before you go for that second opinion. Above all do not be trapped into a label, because as much as they tell you about not worrying about "stigma," it can ruin your life and remove a great deal of much needed personal power from your belief structure. Remember that most institutions and agencies will still treat you like a leper, even though they tell you how compassionate they are and how they do not believe in "stigma." Try getting a security clearance after they tell you that you are nuts. Never mind though, most people who get security clearances and are into those things are with a few exceptions the actual lunatics. Read books, put your books together calmly and think about what you have learned. Remember, if they are really "after you," you are probably not paranoid.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
thank you again for all the information you are giving me. As you can tell i havent been on for a while, probably wont be on as much as i need a little rest break to sort things out. Im not leaving ATS, just slowing down how much i post for a while....you can probably understand why from this thread

Thank you

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
im taking Amisulpride at the moment, i was taking Risperdal then Serenti. i really dont know how to cope anymore, life is extremly hard being paranoid about silly things, being scared to go out and even hearing things which are not there. call me insane, i dont care.........its sad that i cant remember the good old days when i was laughing and happy....those days are long gone

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I know someone who, in my un-professional opinion, is a paranoid-schizophrenic(he has never been diagnosed). However myself, and many others who know him truely believe such.

He NEVER stops talking. And when I say talking.. its not even that, he just mummbles on for hours, and not about one topic.
He constantly refers to people around him as being gremlins or demons or other non-sense type of monster.
He is deaftly afraid of the government and the military.
He believes that gov. is out to get him, or some type of gov. agency.
He's afraid to buy cigarettes or alcohol for he is convinced the clerk writes down everything on his ID and has all his info on file.
He just recently admited to hearing a colonel or sargent of some military type screaming at him nonstop.
But then again, sometimes he seems like an average, be it if you will eccentric, person.

Theres a whole whack of other things I could list, but I'll save those.

Now. I am to believe schizophrenia is a chemical imbalance(correct me if I'm wrong) and that one could live their whole life without these imblances becoming way out of line, so much that they would need medication.
I have read that use of narcotics could cause schizophrenia in someone who was prone to develope it.

MY POINT BEING, is that all of these symptoms really started to arise after he ate some bad mushrooms (the majik kind
)

I don't know if any of this will help you out, but thats just what I have seen, and for all I know he could just a completely paranoid person.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I have searched through ATS to find if this has been covered, but i cant find anything. I have been searching throughout the internet to improve my knownledge on Schizophrenia and i need help understanding it from anyone who has it here or knows of people who have it. It would mean alot to me cause this is a personal matter for me.

Thank you.

This is a very very serious illness, and currently there is no solution for its cure. Usually it comes after long term stress or stressful situations, and those can get it easily who had family members with schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is a permanent illness, and once it started, it can get really worse in a short time. Those who are offically claimed to have it, mostly end up under medical surveillance, without personal identity and restrictions to their human rights. There is reason for this because these ill people mean threat and violence to the community.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
In plain words, schizophrenic people will end up in mental asylum for the rest of their life. It is just a matter of time, and there is no way to reverse this illness.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Amisulpride--Solian, right? You're not from around here, are you? It isn't available in the U.S., although I have heard it is easier to take. Abilify is a U.S. alternative, but it is still slightly different...

You should be glad that you are off Risperdal--I've heard that it has some undesireable side effects (but then again, what drug doesn't...)

I joke about it, but it's only because mental illness has been part of my life for so long that I really don't think of it as unusual. Besides my sister & brother-in-law, my grandfather was schizophrenic, as well as my aunt, a few cousins, and several friends (and lord knows I am insane....)--so it really is something that my whole family has been forced to deal with in a straightforward way... else we would just make things worse.

But it still isn't easy. My sister used to smash holes in the walls and rip up the couch because she thought the FBI had planted bugs and she would lock herself in her room because she imagined that the entire family was plotting to kill her. And back then (in the 70's), medication wasn't as sophisticated, so all she could take was Thorazine, then Haldol, so she was pretty much sedated most of the time. It wasn't until the 80's when Mellaril became available that she started becoming more active. Finally, there was a flood of new meds in the late 80's and 90's and she is pretty much back to her "normal" personality now--"normal" in quotes because no one in my family (including myself) is really normal. My sister is an artist--that probably explains her quirky personality the best.

I have seen quite a few people go through this, and it is really difficult in the beginning when you are just learning what to expect, anxiety is still an issue, and you haven't gotten the medications right--which can make things even worse. But you and your doctors will find something that works for you. It does help to keep a diary of your symptoms/experiences--and do your own research if you can. Hopefully you have people you trust around you that you can rely on when you are going through stuff.

In addition to using the sites that dotgov mentioned previously for research, sometimes interacting with others who are taking the same meds or who are going through the same experiences can be of great help. A lot of times, your doctor may not inform you of weird side effects, food interactions, or interactions with OTC meds and sometimes you can find this stuff out by talking to other patients and then asking your doctor about it. There is a pretty active site & chat forum as an adjunct to
www.crazymeds.org... called crazytalk that you might want to check out for some support. This site has forums where you can talk to people not only about meds, but also conditions, so you can talk to people who are going through the same thing that you are.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Sorry--double post...

[edit on 28/3/05 by lmgnyc]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
www.priory.com...

This drug is a well discussed issue regarding schizoprenia, but actual "cure" has never been found yet.There are various treatments of schizophrenia, what could have unexpected results.

One cure was found to be effective (seen on news), but it comes with mental disabilities. To open up the skull and divide the brain into two parts... may seem brutal, but so far this was the only possibility to cure a schizo patient effectively.

All other treatments are just treatments, nothing else. Also, due to the side effects, you may have to say goodbye to various drugs. . .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join