It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiding Our War Dead

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

: originally posted by: Cool Hand
But then, you have never seen that for yourself have you?

You can't bait me, so you may as well give it a rest.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

If by "bait" you, you mean get you to answer any of my questions you are absolutely correct.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

If by "bait" you, you mean get you to answer any of my questions you are absolutely correct.

Stick to the subject, Cool Hand. If you wanna argue w/someone, you're on the wrong thread.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Cool Hand:

So the US doesn't allow the pictures of the coffins to be placed on the front pages. To me, it hits home when I see the faces of the people who have died, not a flag draped coffin coming off of a plane.

Your government is doing it so you don't have to deal with whatever emotions you might have if you saw flag-draped coffins unloaded from planes.

It should bother you that your government is making decisions for you, shouldn't it? They are saying "Oh no, Cool Hand, if you see this you might start to doubt that our path is just and right".

You know, like any good fascist state does.

They make laws and then say that the laws are to Protect You. From doubt that they are the best.

Scares the hell out of me, and disgusts me.

jako

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
if yall want to see the dead soldiers bringin home from Afghanistan or Iraq go look it up. those who don't want to see the pictures of the dead bringin back home fromt the conflict yall don't have to look it up. the pentagon is not gonna kill you for lookin at dead pics of soldiers from conflicts, nor is the pentagon is goin to kill you for not lookin at pics of dead soldiers. people can pretty feel if they want to honor the dead either by respecting the families or if the families invited the reporters to take the pictures or record it.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Deltaboy, you don't understand the issue. The issue herein is the POLICY. The policy implemented under the first Bush administration and carried into the present restricts the filming of offloading our dead and wounded. On top of that, they are flown in late at night, under cover of darkness.

Don't be naive. It's all about countering bad PR. In the past, our presidents have greeted returning KIA's and wounded at Dover and honored them. This president wouldn't dare. It would associate him with death; and those deaths would be a reminder of the daily carnage. He'd lose his illusion of support quick.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Deltaboy, you don't understand the issue. The issue herein is the POLICY. The policy implemented under the first Bush administration and carried into the present restricts the filming of offloading our dead and wounded. On top of that, they are flown in late at night, under cover of darkness.

Once again, where are you getting that from. I have personally seen the coffins flown in during daylight hours. I have yet to see them come in after hours.

Don't be naive. It's all about countering bad PR. In the past, our presidents have greeted returning KIA's and wounded at Dover and honored them. This president wouldn't dare. It would associate him with death; and those deaths would be a reminder of the daily carnage. He'd lose his illusion of support quick.

Whatever. Where do you get your delusions anyway?

There is always a flag level officer there to greet bodies as a representative of the President. Can anyone seriously expect him to be there for each arrival? Has any other President been there for each and every arrival?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If, as an American, you can't understand that your government is actually FORBIDDING the US public from seeing the reality of this war (thousands of coffin-draped flags unloaded from planes), then you do not deserve the freedom you have.

Or you're a total moron. But I tend to think it's ignorance rather than actual idiocy (speaking of which I haven't seen edsinger ring in).

I'm done arguing on this thread, I hope you wake up one day.

jako

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

If, as an American, you can't understand that your government is actually FORBIDDING the US public from seeing the reality of this war (thousands of coffin-draped flags unloaded from planes), then you do not deserve the freedom you have.

Or you're a total moron. But I tend to think it's ignorance rather than actual idiocy (speaking of which I haven't seen edsinger ring in).

There's a term for it, Jak: COGNATIVE DISSONANCE.

It's pathetic. Can you imagine how these far-rightwing fanatics would be howling if a Democrat pulled this crap?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
When it comes to this subject, I completely agree with the administration's rule on not showing the coffins in the media.

1. This is an all volunteer military. No one has been drafted against their will. They signed up to be in the military. Some had no idea what they were getting in to. "What do you mean I have to fight a war? I just wanted college money!" There is no such thing as a free lunch. I feel no sympathy for those who who go AWOL. When you are in the military, you fight for your country. "People making decisions for you" comes with the job. It is dangerous work. People are killed all the time just training for the real thing. When you enlist, you know that you may be killed. If you think otherwise, you are out of touch with reality.

2. Most of the people who serve believe in what they are doing and know the risks involved. They know that what they do is important. They are true heroes because they fight knowing that the battle they are fighting may never be known to the American public. They do not do it for recognition. They do it for each other and because they know that what they are doing is right. They are in the trenches, knee deep in it. They see what is at risk. They would also not want people who don't know anything about it using their death as a 15 second sound clip about how horrible the war is. Whether you think the war is bad or not doesn't matter. They have sacrificed their life FOR YOU. So that you can type at your computer saying the things that you do in your comfy home without being arrested by a REAL fascist regime. They fight to keep your rights and so many people urinate on their sacrifice.

3. I appreciate all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for us and our way of living. Whenever I see someone in uniform, I walk up to them and thank them for their service because it is the least I can do. Most of those who come back from real combat feel unworthy because they made it back when people close to them did not. My simple thanks may someday help that feeling just a bit to make a difference in their life. I think that is much better than them already feeling unworthy of life and them some idiot says something like "it is an unjust war, you baby killer! We didn't need your sacrifice because it was all for nothing."

I can tell you one thing for sure. It wasn't nothing to those who paid with their lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join