It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Incredible aircraft photos

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   






I am just worried about the aircraft in the 3rd photo.

I hope everything was OK, since its engine is onfire!




posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I am just worried about the aircraft in the 3rd photo.

I hope everything was OK, since its engine is onfire!



Must have been a US fired missile or something, huh Souljah?



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Heres a link to keep you all happy for a while:

flightlevel350.com...



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Must have been a US fired missile or something, huh Souljah?

Yea, probably a Sparrow.



I think a bird flew into the engine and caused an explosion.

Birds are a REAL problem for aircraft engines.

PS: Something is wrong and I cant get bigger pictures. Does everybody have the same problem?






[edit on 24/3/05 by Souljah]



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
Heres a link to keep you all happy for a while:

flightlevel350.com...

This URL does not work for me.



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The sites just gone down, it was working earlier. Sods law really, give it an hour or so and check back.



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Based on the danger of birds, why don't they just put a netting cover over the front of the engine, curve it so that birds bounce off.

There must be a reason why its never been done, they spend millions keeping airports free of birds.


Originally posted by Souljah
I think a bird flew into the engine and caused an explosion.

Birds are a REAL problem for aircraft engines.

PS: Something is wrong and I cant get bigger pictures. Does everybody have the same problem?






[edit on 24/3/05 by Souljah]



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Based on the danger of birds, why don't they just put a netting cover over the front of the engine, curve it so that birds bounce off.

There must be a reason why its never been done, they spend millions keeping airports free of birds.


Two reasons, firstly the reduction of airflow and eddies that a netting or mesh would cause, and secondly the issue of securing a mesh or net infront of a fan that sucks in several tonnes of air a second. If the mesh broke off, it would destroy the engine, and its just as likely to happen as a bird strike.



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Oh and on modern aircraft (anything built after 2000), the engines can take multiple bird strikes without any issues. I watched a Discovery Channel program on it not that long ago where they tested a modern engine by firing 6 chicken carcasses into it when running a takeoff program. If the engine lost less than 40% power, the takeoff would have been fine - infact the engine lsot just 2% power, meaning noone would have even noticed and the engine ran fine after.

The *main* issue with birdstrikes is the fuselage and pilots windows, which can be completely shattered on impact.



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
All these pics and more can be found at www.airliners.net Use "near misses" as the filter.



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
That third picture has been proven to be a photoshop job on www.snopes.com

One of the biggest reasons it can't be real is that there is no reflection of the flames on the underside of the fuselage.



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBaron
All these pics and more can be found at www.airliners.net Use "near misses" as the filter.

Great page for aircraft photography!

Thanks!



Really interesting collection.

Here are my favorites.


Photos of breaking the Sound Barrier






Photos of "Unknown Flying Objects" (lanuching of Space Shuttle on second photo, on first one probably a missile launch)






Photos of Strange Aircraft




Photos of "Impossible Aero Acrobatics"




posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBaron
All these pics and more can be found at www.airliners.net Use "near misses" as the filter.


I only got one photo of 2 planes almost hitting at Boston Logan!



posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
If you look at modern engines on airliners, there is a white spiral painted on the engine cone. When the engine is spinning it spooks birds and causes them to dart away from the engine. That's if they see it coming. heh. The one and only E-3 crash was caused by a flock of geese in Alaska, because the base didn't do their bird clearing procedures. Most airports have trucks that drive around with a small canon in the back that they fire off to scare birds away from the runway. Two recent programs involve flying hawks around the runway, and using border collies to herd the birds. All three of these have proven to be rather effective.



posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Nice, here's some more...
www.af.mil...
www.wpafb.af.mil...


Edit: direct linked over-sized images/photos

[edit on 19-6-2005 by Seekerof]



posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Here are a few that I took at an airshow last year. One is a little blurry but it was hard to get good pics that day.


img.villagephotos.com...
img.villagephotos.com...
img.villagephotos.com...
img.villagephotos.com...
img.villagephotos.com...



posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join