It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me - or are people getting more and more RUDE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So, there I am standing in the express lane (10 items of less). I had 7-8 items in my cart, I'd been standing there for a few minutes when this woman, very obviously sick with the flu comes up behind me with 3 or 4 items. She gives me a dirty look and lets out a deep sigh. Now, I was going to offer to let her go infront of me until she gave me the nasty look. So I turned around and waited my turn. She then gets right up next to me and COUGHS on the back of my neck. I could feel her spit. I was incensed. I hate when strangers invade my personal space, lol which to me is an arms length away.

I think people are more rude general and impatient when they drive. Seems like people holding the door open for another is becoming a thing of the past.

My pet PEEVE is when you are driving and someone cuts you off and you look behind you and there is NOT A CAR behind you - they just HAD to get infront of you.

Seems like we are becoming the ME generation.

What's your pet peeve?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
What's your pet peeve?

People that post in the wrong forum.

See rants and an OCE mod to help move this.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The same ones that you listed bother me. Bad drivers irritate me to no end. People who refuse to be courteous, as in letting me by if they happen to be in the way (ie. grocery stores, road, sidewalk, you name it), extremely bother me. Had that lady coughed on me I would have returned the favor. A firm 'stand back, lady' may have been sufficient.

I have a habit of 'scaring' bad drivers around me. If someone cuts me off or drives in a bad manner, I swerve an inch or two away from them in my vehicle to make 'em jump a bit. If a driver closes a gap to avoid letting little ole me get in his lane and then he gets behind me in MY lane when I move forward, I slam on the brakes. Who's the bitch now? Oh yeah I have issues. Damn straight, brother.

People, at least the ones around here, are so consumed with themselves. I'm a fair, courteous person on or off the streets. I only get dirty when I feel it's appropriate.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I would of told the bit....errrr lady to cover her God damn, no one wants her filthy germs. and if she coughs on me again i'll prolly vomit on her.

My pet peeves is anybody who uses rudeness as a tool to get their way. ANybody who lives by the motto "the squeeky wheel gets the oil". I can't stand it. I see it all the time, everyone is standing in line and one person starts crying and screaming cause "they have to be somewhere' like the rest of us don't. Or somebody who loves venting on poor cashiers just cause they could find whatever product they were looking for.

Of course i always tell these people to shut the hell up
, I can understand if your rude cause you had a bad day , hey your only human, but when your a jerk just because you like pushing people around then i'll make it clear that your................. err you know waht rant over

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
People are rude because they assume they will never have to deal with you again. When society is anonymous, there is no social censure for misbehavior.

If you live in a small town, people cannot afford to be rude to you, since you will see the exact SAME person at the grocery next week. Maybe they will even by sitting in the jury box when you come before the court. . . .

There was an anthropological study of the San bushpeople of the Kalahari that researched levels of violence and population size. The San used to live in small nomadic groups for 10 months of the year, and only gathered as a nation during the rainy season. Anthropologists found that when the local population exceeded 500, people began being more and more rude to each other, and resorting to violence. The author I read concluded that you can only keep track of the personas of about 500 people in your mind. After that, they are "just strangers" and you don't feel any emotional obligation to them.

Personally, I believe that the person showing honor or respect actually has more moral merit than the one being honored.

I lived through the 80's, when men were supposed to not open doors for ladies any more. We weren't supposed to call them ladies, either.

With about a handful of exceptions, there are no more ladies. merely women.

I remember holding a door for a womyn who castigated me for my obsolete social mores. She chided me for trying to "hold the door for a lady."

I shot back at her: "I am not holding the door because I think you are a lady. I am holding the door because I am a gentleman."

Actually, mom taught us to hold the door for everyone who approached, regardless of their gender (or manners!)

What peeves me? How about the fact that money is more valuable than honor. That if someone insults me, I am not supposed to challenge them to a duel. But it is acceptable to sue them for money.

There are some things that cannot be bought. Or paid for.

top topics

join