It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Kyrgyz government office stormed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The opposition in Kyrgyzstan says it has taken control of the capital, Bishkek, after overrunning the president's palace.

Protesters confronted supporters of President Askar Akayev before flooding into government offices.

A prominent Kyrgyz opposition leader, Felix Kulov, made a televised appeal for calm after being freed from jail.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Kyrgyz president reportedly resigns

www.msnbc.msn.com...

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan - Kyrgyz President Askar Akayev has resigned, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported, citing an opposition leader hours after protesters stormed the presidential compound in the former Soviet republic.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That's the real scary thought. What hardware and fissile material is in the region? How fast can the mob rule sell it off, before order is restored?

And who's running the mob? how many Islamic-sympathetic or supporting candidates are behind this?

Seems that the police are given orders to not use violence, but no one ever seems to issue the same to mobs of protestors.

Originally posted by Gazrok

Protesters have taken government office in Kyrgyzstan's capital Bishkek

Vanna? Can I buy a vowel?

Seriously, what the heck is this, a coup by mob? That's interesting...(and something fishy there).

Here's the 10 million dollar question...

How many nukes there?
[/qu

ote]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
That's the real scary thought. What hardware and fissile material is in the region? How fast can the mob rule sell it off, before order is restored?

And who's running the mob? how many Islamic-sympathetic or supporting candidates are behind this?

Seems that the police are given orders to not use violence, but no one ever seems to issue the same to mobs of protestors.

Wanna know whats scary?
No one knows who is running the country,
Police were beating members of the mob, just seen on BBC news but they gave up in the end.

The country is in chaos.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
ooh! "former" nuclear states", and total chaos! Sounds like fun!

Of course, is it really chaos?

And why is the assumption that any revolution or mob is always caused by the US? Do people truly believe that we invented this tactic? and no one else, ever, would resort to such things? Certainly not a branch of an old religion that beheads civilians and blows up each other over a warlord (oops, mullah's) personal power?

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

Wanna know whats scary?
No one knows who is running the country,
Police were beating members of the mob, just seen on BBC news but they gave up in the end.

The country is in chaos.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that America is pressing a sort of "cold war end game" against Russia right now. It looks like we're hemming them in in anticipation of future trouble.

My money for the next coup is on Turkmenistan. They've got the natural gas and the oil, and they have a nice strict cult-of-personality style government that nobody will miss, plus the Russians are slightly raping them.
If memory serves, the war in Afghanistan had a little something to do with a natural gas pipeline coming out of Turkmenistan too. It only seems natural that we'd want to finish that chain.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see something happen in Georgia. I just happened to stumble across the fact that their prime minister, who was sort of the source of stablity for moderates in that government who wished to compromise with Russia, died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a friend's home last month. Apparently some people think it was a bit suspicious.

So those are my big picks- a popular revolution in Turkmenistan, and a very quiet changing of the guard in Georgia, probably to put anti-Russian hard-liners in power.

As for the others: Uzbekistan isn't worth fighting over, I don't think we'd have enough of a leg to stand on for an attack on Tajikistan, and the Russians seem popular enough there that I doubt we could pull of a coup. Kazakhstan has the racial tensions to perhaps create a stir, but I think it would be more than a little brazen to install an anti-Russian government directly on their border which would redirect the flow of Kazakh resources and drive a wedge between Russia and other central asian states. So I don't see any of those happening.

We want Belarus to go the way of Ukraine, which is why they are an "outpost of tyranny" according to our state department, and why we are appropriating funds to support NGOs there. That one might take some time- I'd like to think the Russians aren't completely asleep at the wheel- they will play defense.

I'm including a map of Central Asia as the neo-cons dream of it. Red is invaded territory, Blue represents friendly governments installed by coup. I expect this map to error on Iran- I believe they will buy enough time for themselves, obtain nuclear weapons, and become the next North Korea. I also have doubts about the odds of America invading Syria.

TPL

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I also wouldn't be shocked to see something happen in Georgia.

Georgia's already had a revolution, less than 2 years ago.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'd revolt if I lacked that many vowels, too!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I also wouldn't be shocked to see something happen in Georgia.

Georgia's already had a revolution, less than 2 years ago.

I'm aware of that, however somebody has recently rubbed out their premier, who apparently was compromising with Putin a little too much for somebody's taste.

I suppose I can't say for sure that America is making a play to help anti-Russian hardliners (edit or at least somebody of) Shevardnadze's type, but it certainly seems possible.

Explain edit: I suppose it wasn't quite fair to call Shevardnadze an anti-Russian hardliner, but he certainly leaned to our side in an appreciable way, and was seen by some in Russia as a traitor for his acceptance of "Sinatra doctrine" of letting the satellite nations do things their own way.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What I worry is a an all out war between the CIS states particualry Uzbeks and Turks. Since all ethinc groups are mixed all togther in the stan regions this could start a genocide like Yugoslavia 1992.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join