It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trip to "Petting Zoo" causes Kidney Failure In Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Five children in critical condition with kidney failure may have picked up a rare infection at petting zoos, health officials said.

State and county health officials are investigating the infections, said Bill Toth of the Orange County Health Department.

Four children being treated at Florida Hospital Orlando visited zoos at the Central Florida Fair in Orlando, which ended March 13.

"Snip"

The potentially dangerous kidney condition - hemolytic uremic syndrome, or HUS - is a rare complication arising from an initial infection most commonly associated with E. coli, a bacterium found in undercooked beef or contaminated food.

But Toth said not all the children are showing signs of E. coli exposure, and investigators are running fresh samples through additional tests.

www.local6.com...

This would appear to be a simple case of the parents didn't make thier children wash thier hands after petting the aminals. Such a simple thing.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There was an outbreak of e. coli here in NC last year which I think was traced to a petting zoo at the state fair. Apparently some failed to wash their hands after handling the animals there also.

What worries me is that now, because a few parents made a tragic mistake and didn't wash their little one's hands, a few well-meaning people will get the bright idea to ban petting zoos and find a politican or two who want to use it as a re-election issue. Most children have so few chances to get close to living animals and see them as real creatures, not just as dinner, that I think it would be a shame for the few chances that exist to be taken away because of the sad mistakes of a few.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
My goodness I wonder if petting zoos are becoming a dangerous thing, last year our local petty zoo found one of the animals with rabies, and all the children that were around the animal have to be treated, it was terrible, because the elementary schools are always doing field trips to it.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hi marg,

That's a little scarey, but probably a relatively isolated kind of incident. I think if it were widespread we would have heard more of it.

It simply amazes me that people don't wash hands very often. We live in an "only slightly civilized world". Most places provide soap and hot water. You can buy waterless antibacterial cleansers for your hands. Yet people walk in and out of their day without so much as running cold water over their fingers after using the loo. Kind of makes you wonder ....

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
Hi marg,

That's a little scarey, but probably a relatively isolated kind of incident. I think if it were widespread we would have heard more of it.

It simply amazes me that people don't wash hands very often. We live in an "only slightly civilized world". Most places provide soap and hot water. You can buy waterless antibacterial cleansers for your hands. Yet people walk in and out of their day without so much as running cold water over their fingers after using the loo. Kind of makes you wonder ....

Yes, that's why in there is a sign in the mens room that says "don't eat the big white mint".

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
HUS aka Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome is actually seldom fatal, but is a serious medical condition. Most kids if hit really hard will require Dialisys either hemo of CVVH untill thier kidneys resume functioning. Lots of blood transfusions as well (Hence Hemolytic)

Its usualy food, and as pointed out good handwashing prevents this to a high degree, but you can get the infection from anywhere including bad fast food. Those with kids know its impossible short of sealing them in a protective bubble you cannot keep them away from stuff

top topics

join