It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.9 repeating = 1? Is our numerical system flawed?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
I never once said that, so you need to stop mis quoting. Thanks.

Uhhh, yeah ya did. You made a mental faux pas, and now you are trying to cover the tracks.

You edited the post I quoted, luckily, I quoted your original text, so it doesn't matter:

Link to my post on his contradiction

You are right, there is no way to represent 1/3 in decimal form. Actually, using your very own logic, even YOUR representation for 1/3 doesn't exist.

.3... is not a real number.

That's what you originally said. After I made that post, you changed it from above to:

Nope there is no correct way to represent 1/3 in decimal form. Actually if I use your very own logic, even YOU don't have a representation of 1/3 because .3... is not a real number.

Nice try.

So the original quote again is:

You are right, there is no way to represent 1/3 in decimal form. Actually, using your very own logic, even YOUR representation for 1/3 doesn't exist.

In essence, that statement is correct. It's a theoretical number.

**Edited to add:

And once again, no you're wrong:

1.0 - .000000000000...1 = 1

Unless you take a snapshot the number going towards infinity, but then the number is finite.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I laugh at this guys attempt:

polymathematics.typepad.com...

May I remind you that .9 repeating is a number. That means it has it's place on the number line somewhere. Which means that it's not "getting" anywhere. It doesn't move. It either equals 1 or it doesn't (it does of course), but it doesn't "get" closer to 1.

Can someone please show me where "infinity" is, on the number line? Please point to .9...

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I laugh at this guys attempt:

polymathematics.typepad.com...

May I remind you that .9 repeating is a number. That means it has it's place on the number line somewhere. Which means that it's not "getting" anywhere. It doesn't move. It either equals 1 or it doesn't (it does of course), but it doesn't "get" closer to 1.

Can someone please show me where "infinity" is, on the number line? Please point to .9...

Why do you keep making posts that say these infinity numbers are real, and then change to say they don't exist on the number line?

This is the 2nd time you've contradicted yourself?

How could you make such a TERRIBLE mistake, oh Higher One?

Your whole argument was that these numbers exist, and are LESS on the number line than 1, and then you go and say:

"Can someone please show me where "infinity" is, on the number line?"

NO! We can't! As we've all stated before. That's our argument, not yours.

Don't forget what side you are on.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

That's what you originally said. After I made that post, you changed it from above to:

Nice try.

Actually I didn't try anything, that was a cross post like hours ago. You just didn't notice it.

YOU STILL MIS QUOTED ME.

You've already once said .999999 "doesn't exist"

I never said anything "doesn't exist". Nor did I say ".999999".

HOW OLD ARE YOU???

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Don't forget what side you are on.

I highly suggest you learn to read, and then reread this entire thread. You have lost it. You have no clue what you are talking about.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Oh, so instead of answering the question, you're just going to focus on the fact that I said .9999999999999... instead of .3....

It's the same principle. If .3... doesn't exist, neither does .9... and neither does .0...1

Quit stalling.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

NO! We can't! As we've all stated before. That's our argument, not yours.

Wait, your arguement is that you can not find .9... on the number line?

Maybe that is your problem?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Wrong. You KEEP bringing up how finite or "real" infinite numbers are. You say they exist on the number line.

Your big argument is:

1 - .1 = .9

1 - .01 = .99

to

1 - .0...1 = .9...

That was your big argument remember? Somehow you considered that proof that .0...1 was a number that existed, which proved us wrong, because if it existed it couldn't equal zero.

Do you even know what your stance on this subject is?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Oh, so instead of answering the question, you're just going to focus on the fact that I said .9999999999999... instead of .3....

It's the same principle. If .3... doesn't exist, neither does .9... and neither does .0...1

Quit stalling.

LOOK AT YOURSELF. LEARN TO READ!

You are right, there is no way to represent 1/3 in decimal form. Actually, USING YOUR VERY OWN LOGIC, even YOUR representation for 1/3 doesn't exist.

OMG

If you can't find it on the number line then..........? Is it a number? You said yourself you couldn't find it.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The FACT still stands..

If you start with 1 whole, the only way to get to .9... is to subract. That means .9... is less than 1.

That's not a fact. This is the 15th page and countless people have tried to explain but you still don't seem to get it. Anything you subtract will be TOO MUCH and will not leave .9... . I think your problem is that your idea of infinity is flawed. You are thinking of it as an expanding process rather than an absolute.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobodyv2
Anything you subtract will be TOO MUCH and will not leave .9... .

Unless you subtract .0...1

Originally posted by nobodyv2
I think your problem is that your idea of infinity is flawed. You are thinking of it as an expanding process rather than an absolute.

Can you point to .9... on the number line? I want to see where it absolutly is. Graph it out for me.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

All this has been explained already and I'm not going to go over it again. If you don't understand where your logic fails then that's your problem. If it makes you feel better that .9... is less than 1 then that's just fine with me.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
If .9... is equal to 1.

Does that mean .1999... (repeating only the 9) is equal to .2?

The key word here really, is EQUAL.

Maybe you people need to look up the definition?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Yes. It does. I think a better word is equivalent, though.

And

.349999... = .35

The list goes on.

You're misconception in that it can be displayed on a number line is understandable. You feel that you are representing the number when you type:

However, you are not representing the true number 1/3 when you type that.

What you are representing when you display in infinate in decimal form is a finite number GOING towards infinity.

Once again, you are presenting a FINITE number. Not an infinite. That finite number is GOING TOWARD infinity, but it is not infinity.

You are not representing the true number, because it cannot be represented in decimal form.

It is a concept, not a something you can point at on a decimal number lien.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

That finite number is GOING TOWARD infinity, but it is not infinity.

Going Toward?

One person is telling me it is STATIC, now you are telling me that it is actually going somewhere.

Please tell me, if "infinity" does not end and does not begin, then where exactly is the destination that the number is "going toward"?

Surely, when you are going toward something, you have a destination. Are you going to the end of infinity?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yes. It does. I think a better word is equivalent, though.

And

.349999... = .35

The list goes on.

So...

.9... = 1
.89... = .9
.79... = .8
.69... = .7
.59... = .6
.49... = .5
.39... = .4
.29... = .3
.19... = .2
.09... = .1

Why are you rounding off the numbers?

I am pretty sure .19... DOES NOT EQUAL .2

So you're still wrong.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If

.3... has a place on the number line.

.6... has a place on the number line.

.9... has a place on the number line.

1 has a place on the number line.

Does that mean that 1 actually has 2 places on the number line?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Show its place on the number line without using symbols.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Going Toward?

One person is telling me it is STATIC, now you are telling me that it is actually going somewhere.

Please tell me, if "infinity" does not end and does not begin, then where exactly is the destination that the number is "going toward"?

Surely, when you are going toward something, you have a destination. Are you going to the end of infinity?

Are you kidding me?

Yes it's going somewhere. Every time another 9 is added to the end, it is getting closer to it's destiny.

Every time a new 9 is added, it gets closer to one.

In the case of .99999...

Infinities are always moving towards something.

**Edit:

Which is why it can't have a place on the number line - it's not a number. It's a representation of a growing/shrinking number. It's constantly getting bigger or smaller.

Is .999999999 the same as .9999999999999?

This is why it can't be represented on a number line.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This'll blow your mind...

.1818... = 2/11

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join