It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Choosing a Guitar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well I signed up for a guitar class and I need YOUR help on looking for a guitar to use. Its an all around guitar class so anything would work. First off let me say this, my skills with the guitar are no better then your average joe. In other words I suck big time, but thats why I signed up for the class
. Anyway I am into 80's hair metal music and thats what I want to learn how to play. For example the guitar solos from Panarama or Round N' Round, thats the kind of shizna I would like to learn.

So my question is what guitar would I need to play 80's hair metal music? Obviously an Electric guitar, but what kind?! Please help me, I am completely lost.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Go with an Ibanez!!!! The official guitar of OZ Fest. They have really nice pickups and a great sound. Plus they are available in a wide variety of colors. Far more than a Fender Strat, but with equal or greater sound!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Ibanez makes some pretty awesome guitars, but you could also look into Jackson guitars...they were a pretty popular choice of guitar back in the 80s. I too play 80s metal and have a Jackson Kelly, which is a flashy guitar, but hey, its got a great sound, and what else would you play for 80s hair metal?!?!?

Tak

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Any thing but a Fender or Epiphone....Ibanez rock hard or a nice flashy Jackson would be very 80's

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm looking into that Jackson Kelly, sounds like my kind of a guitar. Do you guys know of any good electric guitar websites here in the States?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
These Guitars look sweet but the price does not. Is going cheap a bad thing?

Jackson Kelly Guitars

[edit on 02/03/05 by Grey Fox]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I didn't know about those prices, seeing that I bought my Jackson Kelly about 3 years ago, and it was about $530 for the guitar and case.

Also, Kramer guitars were popular back then too (I have one). But, if I were you, stay away from the lower end kramers. Stay with Strikers and Barettas.

Some good websites I go to for most of my gear:

www.musiciansfriend.com... ...they also have a free magazine you can subscribe to if you want.

and...

Kramer Guitars

There are many others I'm sure, but these are the places I mostly go to. You're gonna encounter some expensive guitars too, because the music we play uses mostly uses floyd rose bridges, which bump the price up nicely. uhg....

Anyhow, good luck on your search....let me know what you choose to get haha, maybe we'll see each other some day, and form an 80s metal band

Oh yeah, and goin cheap ain't bad either, but, like I said, if you want a guitar with a floyd rose, the price willlllllll be higher...

[edit on 24-3-2005 by malmsteen]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
After a wee bit of searching I found this Jackon Guitar Its a little bit pricy for me, so is their anything else like this guitar but a little bit more basic?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I started playing about 3 years ago and tehse served me well:

Fender Stratocaster: Not that expensive, sounds great...progressive, start off and work your way up....good for pro's as well
fender link

If you are gonna learn Acoustics first...then Yamaha makes great beginners

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Paul Reed Smith! PRS guitars play so smooth and sound so rad.

top topics

join