It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RSS Newsfeeds won't work, any idea what to do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hi,
First, apologies for not knowing the answer.

I use Netnewswire which performs exceptionally well with hundreds of news feeds. Unfortunately clicking on the ATS icons won't hold the URL visible long enough for me to read or copy it (for subsequent paste into Net Newswire.) Instead it forces the download of an unusable XML file which NetNews Wire can't retrieve a URL from. This occurred when I clicked the RSS button from the www.abovetopsecret.com... web page.

When clicking the RSS icon from this forum, it did leave the URL up long enough for me to copy it, but when I added it to NetNewsWire, and performed refresh, there was nothing there.

ATS is the only website I've ever had RSS misbehave on.

I'll much appreciate finding out how to make the RSS url appear long enough for me to copy it. It only flashes up for about 1/4 second, not long enough for me to stop the Safari web browser.
I use System Panther 10.3.7, Safari 1.2.4 and Net News Wire Lite 2.0b6.

Any advice will be most graciously appreciated.
Thanks much in advance.
Adonsa

[edit on 23/3/05 by Adonsa]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Both are working in my reader. I just copied the urls off the buttons and set them up again to test. No problems.

www.terroranalysis.com...
www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Spectre, thanks much for your quick reply. Copy link to clip solved the first part (my bad). Got the links into New News Wire Lite, but they're dead (others, unrelated to ATS work fine). Feed Validator website says the links are ok.

So it looks like I have to do some troubleshooting from within Net News Wire Lite. Probably should have started there.

Again, thanks very much for relying.
Adonsa

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Spectre,

My bad.

damn, I embarrassed myself.

It works now. Everything I had in NetNewsWire had to refresh before it cycled back around to ATS, and I thought I could get ATS to just refresh it individually. I'll need to recommend Net News Wire add it to their help file.

This amounts to a false alarm. Apologies for doing it that way,

Adonsa

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
No problem. I'm pleased that you got it working without too much trouble. Plus, I was unfamiliar with NetNewsWire and got to read a bit about it. Pretty cool service.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
one question...

what is the point for a RSS feed???

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
one question...

what is the point for a RSS feed???

Hi, they see ALL

The point is to read just the headlines real fast without having to scroll around the website.

RSS is "Really Simple Syndication" uh, I think that's what it is. The RSS Readers are so-called news aggregators which pull from URLs designated by those webmasters (or web developers, maybe) which designate topics to become eligible for RSS. They'll establish a page with nothing but the RSS stuff. The RSS News Reader software pulls from those pages and formats the results into a structured format for your computers. News is collected from a variety of websites (you tell the software which ones) and just the one-liner items are laundry listed for you. RSS also stands for Reactor Shutdown System.

Here's the official description of NetNewsWire, the one I use. "NetNewsWire is an easy-to-use RSS news reader for web sites. It uses a familiar three-paned interface -- like that of Outlook Express or Mailsmith -- to display websites and their news. Features include:
• The Weblog Editor allows one to post to Radio, Blogger, Movable Type, and other types of weblogs. It works with most of the popular weblog systems.
• The Notepad is an outline, a place to take notes and store headlines, subscriptions, URLs, and files.
• The Find command looks for specific text in headlines.
• AppleScript support allows one to get and set information about headlines and subscriptions.
• The Scripts menu runs your AppleScript scripts from within NetNewsWire.
• Headlines are now stored between runs, which means you can download the news and then read it on the train or anywhere you don't have web access."

This website has a list of news readers for Mac, Linux, and IBM boxes.
blogspace.com...

Hope this helps.
Adonsa

[edit on 26/3/05 by Adonsa]

top topics

join