It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary Magdalene in Oxford

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hi

i have done a visit in Oxford, and i was surprised to see that there is a college there called Magdalene Colleg in honor of the Mary Magdalene. In the college's chapel there is a big painting of the "Last Super" from Da Vinci. Well, everybody knows the story about Mary Magdalen and Jesus (and Dan Brown has reminded it to us).
Do you have any idea why this painting has been hung there? to be controversial or just because one of the priest knew what the grail was all about (and not just a cup).

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wow, interesting post...what kind of church is it...probably not Catholic, right. Thanks again!

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
well, you will be surprised but it is a catholic church. i was surprised as well. i think it's because some english lord found some objects/texts related to mary magdalene. but the most interesting is the last super.
it is very surpring.

and on the top of that, there is also a mary magdalene church in cambridge. i really have to look for info.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Do you have any idea why this painting has been hung there?

I'm confused as to why this would be surprising? I was born a Catholic and my parents had a picture of the last supper hanging in our kitchen. Is that unusual?

Just because there's some contraversy regarding symbolism in the painting, doesn't mean there's contraversy in why it is hung in a church....

new topics

top topics

join