It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Anthrax Confirmed at Pentagon Mail Facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Last weeks anthrax scare has been confirmed to indeed have been the deadly toxin. Additional testing on the samples taken from the three mail centers that feed the Pentagon, have confirmed the presence of anthrax. Testing on the samples also confirmed that the anthrax found is the same strain as that used in the attacks in the fall of 2001.

www.washtimes.com
WASHINGTON, DC, Mar. 21 (UPI) -- Anthrax was confirmed twice in samples collected from a Pentagon mail facility initially closed last week and then opened after being declared free of the pathogen, United Press International has learned.

The head of the company that was accused of contaminating the samples sent from that facility -- a detached building on the Pentagon grounds in Arlington, Va. -- said his company had never produced a false positive test before and the presence of anthrax was detected independently in the original samples by two government laboratories.

An anthrax alert occurred at the Pentagon facility March 14 and was accompanied by a second alert at a mailroom in a Defense Department-leased building in Falls Church, Va. That building, along with the entire three-building complex, was closed for two days before being declared clean.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is some controversy surrounding the detection and later confirmation of the presence of anthrax at these facilities. It seems that the alarms were originally triggered on March 10th when samples were taken from surfaces in the mail processing facility. Those results were reported to authorities on March 11th. However the findings were not acted on. CBI, the testing firm, was directed to conduct additional testing.

The results of the additional testing again returned a positive test result, and those findings were reported on March 14th. The mail facility was still operating during the additional testing. It is believed that the mail processing centers that later had alarms for the presence of anthrax were downstream in the flow from the original center.

The delay in closing the mail center that first detected anthrax was a costly mistake. It allowed for the spread of the toxin to two other mail centers, and the exposure of hundreds of additional workers to the deadly substance.

Authorities are still in the process of gathering more then 8,000 pieces of mail that move through the effected mail facilities.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
TERRORISM: Anthrax Scare at Pentagon Mail Facilities

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hmmm. As I recall, the source of the anthrax was a US biological laboratory. What are the implications of this? ...That anthrax from a US source is still running around?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Correct, the strain in 2001 was traced back to a strain that I believe, if I remember correctly, is called the Ames strain. It is named that because it was developed in Ames, Iowa. However, it is said to be the most common strain of anthrax. Officials seem to be down playing the fact that it is the same as that used in 2001. They also seem to be reluctant to speak about the confirmation of it's presence. They are allowing the "false positive" report from the 14th to stick. And burying the fact that multiple tests have confirmed that indeed anthrax was found. Again.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Commonwealth Biotechnologies issued a press release today, they have finished their internal review:

In the last week, CBI's quality assurance group has conducted an
extensive review of our administrative and laboratory procedures and
has re-examined our facility for the presence of viable environmental
pathogens. None of these tests has come back positive. Among the
findings of this review:

-- There is no evidence in the BSL3 for the presence of surface
contamination or air-borne contamination.

-- At the time of the sample processing for the Pentagon, no
other anthrax-related work was being done.

-- CBI has no on-going work which requires us to work with
anything but the vegetative form of anthrax.

-- CBI has no on-going programs dealing with anthrax spores.

-- CBI's strict protocols which prohibit analyzing test samples
in the presence of a positive control sample were strictly
adhered to.

-- Video records of the BSL3 lab on the day in question show that
the testing was carried out per the operative protocols, that
the required decontamination procedures of the workspace prior
to working with the sample were followed, and that no gross
deviations in standard procedures occurred.

stockwatch

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Commonwealth Biotechnologies issued a press release today, they have finished their internal review:

CBI is being blamed by the government of contaminating the samples they have collected. The way I read that statement, it is their way of denying the possibility that they contamineted the samples. At the same time, they are re-inforcing the government position that anthrax was not present.

Those samples were also tested by two other independent labs, who confirmed CBI's inital findings. Further testing on the samples was performed by the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, and they also confirmed the samples were positive for anthrax.

So, either the government is trying to make a stooge of CBI, or CBI lied, and polluted the samples before the other 3 labs tested them.

Which is it?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Did CBI have have Ames strain samples as reference DNA for testing ?

How much anthrax was found, a big bunch with the obvious intent to cause a lot of damage, or a small bunch just grab attention and get contract renewals ???

Another cynical thought I have, that since Al-Qaeda has been failing lately to do a decent terrorist attack on Amercian soil, maybe they need some "assistence" from homeland security to stage a few (foiled attacks) to keep Terror in the mind of the people ???

What happened to that Hatfill suspect ? Did somebody actually went to jail or did the rabbithole run too deep to allow full disclosure ?

I wouldn't say that these events are staged by the government, but I would think that its quite possible there are a few rogue elements in within the government that pursue their own agenda.

anyways, it looks rather stupid to re-use one of those "home-grown" anthrax strains, unless its a brilliant move to bring some party (CBI ?) in discredit ???

I better stop thinking about the many conspiricy possibillities or my head starts spinning....,

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I really wish some good evidence would come about connecting the anthrax w/a government worker w/own agenda. The more time goes on the more likely this seems. But Al-Qaeda is truly insideous and capable of nearly anything. About the Hatfill guy. Only circumstantial evidence could be found connecting him. Hes still a free man. The lab he worked at though had almost no security protocals followed and scientists would take the stuff home in their pocket in a vial to work on. Its rediculous. This went on for years. It really seems like it was meant to get out. Reference History Channel Conspiracy Theories "Anthrax Attacks" terrifying...

top topics

join