It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Are Plants Intelligent?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
You know, a lot people become vegetarian because they dont want to hurt any living animal or a life form in general...

Well here is another twist...I think that vegetarian should stop eating plants or any type of vegetables...because they are hurting these life forms as well...

For example,

When we kill an animal, such a cow, it is dead at that spot.

However, no matter how many time we chop a plant into pieces...it still remain alive longer than that of meat coming from a dead cow...Also, even while we schew them in our mouth, they still remail alive...owch!

If plant could talk, we would probably hear them begging for their life or something like that...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwen

...I think that vegetarian should stop eating plants or any type of vegetables...because they are hurting these life forms as well...

If plant could talk, we would probably hear them begging for their life or something like that...

More fanatical divide. The questions are:

* What is intelligence?

* Who really benefits from a narrow definition of intelligence? How?

* When "mental competency" tests for voters come out, how will intelligence be defined, and who will that definition serve?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Sorry to interrupt everyone's nicey-nice on this issue.

How about coming back to reality for a few minutes?

You've seen PETA's signs and bumper stickers saying "Meat is Murder". So, how long after reading this story do you think it will take before we start to see signs with the "Bread is Murder!" message on them.

Like others have said, what would be left for the human race to eat?

Forget the NWO, here's my conspiracy theory on this issue:

This is being put forward by a group that thinks the earth would be better off without any people. They favor suicide/genocide for everyone. Think Jim Jones of Guyana infamy, but on a global scale.

Still think this subject is so sweet and pretty?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't know about the meat centurion, I am a meat eater, but since the mad cow epidemic and the suspicious ways in which our meat industry is handle I don't trust meat anymore so now I am on chicken and pork.

I still eat my vegetables, see plants are energy when they are alive and that energy goes to us when we consume them fresh.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

This is being put forward by a group that thinks the earth would be better off without any people. They favor suicide/genocide for everyone. Think Jim Jones of Guyana infamy, but on a global scale.

Why don't you read the article and the posts? No one is talking about not eating plants - except the paranoids who say someone else might say that. A truly FINE justification for censorship and fanatical division. Not.

. ...How bout we focus on the science and the politicization of science? ...and attempt to deconstruct that influence?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Oh great, pretty soon we are going to hear that it is botanical cruelty to kill and eat what grows in the dirt.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
Oh great, pretty soon we are going to hear that it is botanical cruelty to kill and eat what grows in the dirt.

Oh great. Another poster who doesn't bother reading the article OR the thread - resulting in yet another truly FINE justification for scientific censorship and fanatical division. Not.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Why don't you read the article and the posts? No one is talking about not eating plants - except the paranoids who say someone else might say that. A truly FINE justification for censorship and fanatical division. Not.

. ...How bout we focus on the science and the politicization of science? ...and attempt to deconstruct that influence?

I have read your thread in its entirety.

It appears you have missed the logical conclusions of your own thread.

The minute someone starts saying plants are intelligent will be the same minute other people start feeling sorry for the poor plants that are purposefully being killed by humans for their own (selfish) needs. Isn't that really how PETA got started? Also, when have these 'feel sorry' types ever decided just to let some potential cause go? I'll answer that question just for you: they don't.

Maybe even you can now see the true message in your thread.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Maybe even you can now see the true message in your thread.

I doubt even bleeding heart vegetarians will take the idea of plant intelligence as a rationale to stop eating. ...IMO - You are projecting your so-called logical conclusions and "true message" to justify creating a 'fanatical divide' and promote scientific censorship.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I've checked my posts again, but find no reference to "censorship" - scientific or otherwise.

Can I have some of whatever plant you're having (while we still can)?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Are you connecting the "definition of intellegence" to the harsher methods for judging what people are capable of intellegence?
and using intellegence of Plants as an analogy?

I can understand your focus on the new voting requirements...
with People like Leo Strauss influencing the elite of Washington, it will be no time at all before deception, religious fervor, and perpetual war situations become the staple food for all America...
For those that didn't catch the info...
Leo Strauss is a powerful and influencial man in Washington...
He believes that the Sheeple are stupid and the elite are smart, so therefore, the smart need to keep the stupid busy with war, and religion, so that the smart can do what they want...and not be bothered by "stupid questions"

it really fits what this administration is doing... and makes much more sense than saying wolfowitz is a good candidate for the World Bank due to his "experiences" (that is the exact word Bush used)

As to plants having intellegence...they may have more than our administration does...

sorry if this is offtopic... but I thought i would comment on your Strauss links...

[edit on 24-3-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There was another experiment where some guy hooked a plant up to a bunch of wires and the attached the wires to sheets of foil and put the foil sheets in the sun and kept the plant in total darkness. Apparently the plant not only thrived but was able tor each its reproductive cycles. The only difference between that plant and the control group plant was a lack of chlorophyl. That made me wonder if there was more to gilded roof tops than just decoration... But yeah you guys I think this thread has been accidentally hijacked into some kind of loopy plant rights debate. The original idea was to discuss the intelligence of plants, I think. Sofi did you see my earlier post on this thread?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

But yeah you guys I think this thread has been accidentally hijacked into some kind of loopy plant rights debate. The original idea was to discuss the intelligence of plants, I think. Sofi did you see my earlier post on this thread?

...Thanks twitchy. Yah, there is old and new evidence that plants are intelligent - and it's become an international scientific issue. I'm interested to see what comes out of the May conference.

...Charging forward, I also know that when there's a lot of resistance to a new idea, even in the face of evidence, it's smart to look elsewhere for the explanation. ...My sense is that the reason for the resistance is political - and related to Straussian strategies. Not far fetched at all - but obviously too much info, with too many gaps and too much of a leap. Mea culpa.

...So if you think we should just focus on the "Are plants intelligent?" question - sounds like a better plan to me than what I was trying to do... (Starting with the premise that plants ARE intelligent - and investigating from there.)

...Have you ever searched "plant neurobiology" ? ...It's illuminating.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
JAIN! stop this crazy thread...

Intelligence, a series of choreographed chemical and electrical reactions.

Do they mostly take place in one organ? or across the entire organism?
To take it another step..Throughout an anthill?, ants have a way of talking to each other chemically.
Or, throughout a forest, where trees release chemicals, signalling other trees of distress (bark beetle infestations).

I think a plants intellect is manifested in it's ability to survive in it's environment. It's "brains" are in it's DNA. And expressed to the world as
a beautiful (and often tasty) living thing..

[edit on 24-3-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well there's a texas shrub that's not too bright.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Old news...

Scientists have begun mixing human genes with rice in an attempt to take genetically modified crops to the next level.

Researchers have inserted into rice a gene from the human liver that produces an enzyme which is good at breaking down harmful chemicals in the human body.

They hope the enzyme, CYP2B6, will do the same to herbicides and pollutants when combined with rice.

But anti-GM campaigners say using human genes will scare off consumers worried about cannibalism and the idea of scientists playing God...
link

What happen if the plants become aware and start talking...

[edit on 26-5-2005 by mwen]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join