It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who started online gaming Nintendo or Sega

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
i was reading a mag a while back (one of the old gamepro mags i found at savers) and it had a section about the n64 that had online capabilities then about a year later another system is released by sega called the sega dream cast that had online capabilities also so who started it nintendo or sega?
:w:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Sega, was the first to go online.

I had a 64 and never seen that is could go online.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
they said that the modem was going under the n64 i don't know if that ever got off the ground though

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Does Sega channel count?

I'm pretty sure N64 was never online in North America.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
TheY had alot of really cool stuff for the N64 that never quite made it to market , While it was Designed with online capabilities it was never released. So the the dreamcast was the first online gaming system.

[edit on 23-3-2005 by bordnlazy]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
thanxs bordnlazy i never knew that by the way nice avie umbrax it looks awesome

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the complement. I'm a nut for making them. I think I've been changing mine like every week
. Add those on to my comic avatars and I bet I've made like 50 avatars since I joined ATS, maybe more

You guys don't remember Saga channel? I didn't have it but you could play what ever Sega game was on there for a monthly fee. I think it was for Genesis

I don't know if there was multi player or not, I only got to play on sega channel once.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
well i wasn't really into sega besides the genisess nor was i into n64 but at that time playstation used to rule

Can ne one make me a better avie than this plz

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
WaxPineapple, what you should do is visit the Member Art board.
There are several avatar threads where people will make them for you. Just browse around and see whos style you like best and send them a U2U

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
well if you tell me how you did your avatars i could make them for every one else but you don't have to thanks though

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I bought a image editing program called photosuite4. I picked it up about 3 years ago.
Probably the best program to use is PhotoShop7.
I don't think I would be able to teach anyone how to make avatars. These programs usually have handy tutorials though.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Really? The best? I need to put it to more use.

I Never played the sega channel, That was before the 64, right?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by Umbrax

Really? The best? I need to put it to more use.

I Never played the sega channel, That was before the 64, right?

Well I haven't used photoshop but from what I understand its supposed to be the best.

Sega channel was way before N64. I think maybe before PS one.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I just put it on my laptop, I was using Photoshop elements, but my harddrive went out so, I lost everything. Cuz I am Stoop-O and didnt back up.

[edit on 23-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Interesting stuff for the online stuff. I believe the GC has online capability but it is rarely used. It looks like DS will be Nintendo's first serious whack at online gameplay. Too bad N64 had the capability, but never got around to using it. Probably the traditional lack of 3rd party support.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
While other companies and system got online first, online would have never gotten anywhere if it were not for Halo 2. Over 500,000 people play every day, and at anytime there is always like 50K on. Before halo2 the most amount of players that were on XBL was like 30K at one time. Halo 2 make playing online manditory. I thank XBL.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I don't think I would say Halo 2 was the real force in online play, actually the entire console market has been playing catch-up for a while now. I would think Quake and Half Life were the real initial pillars of online play when they hit the PC scene. To this day you can still find HL, CS, and probably even Quake servers to frag away in.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Yep, I'd have to say original Quake gets the nod for really making online play mainstream. This was around the mid 90s remember. The good old days. Adjusting your MTU. Bugging your ISP for USR x2 and v90. Editing the .cfg files to optimize your conneciton and graphics. GL Quake with dual-SLI Voodoo 2 8mb graphics cards. heehee. Low-Ping Bastards on ISDNs and T-1s, Rocket Jumping, and the Grappling Hook! Custom Skins and Custom Maps. Yeah!

While the technology has come a long , long way, nothing I've played since has been compairable.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
consols didnt start gamong on line you schmucks! (i mean that loveningly) online gaming orginated with the PC. i remember play starseige and starseig tribes and team fortress classic on PC way before consols ever thought about developing online caplbilities

now the the best system for online gaming is the xbox when it come to consols. but the PC was the orgin

new topics

top topics

join