It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Macintosh Hacker Attacks Are on the Rise -Symantec

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
According to a report from anti-virus software vendor Symantec Corp, Macintosh hacker attacks are on the rise. People who use the Mac think that they are virtually immune to hacker attacks. This is the popular belief, says the report. These new attacks prove them wrong.

news.yahoo.com
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Hacker attacks on Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh OS X operating system, thought by many who use the Mac to be virtually immune to attack, are on the rise, according to a report from anti-virus software vendor Symantec Corp.

"Contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh operating system has not always been a safe haven from malicious code," said the report, which was issued on Monday.

"It is now clear that the Mac OS is increasingly becoming a target for the malicious activity that is more commonly associated with Microsoft and various Unix-based operating systems."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So, even those who use "Macs" are in danger of being hacked. The scary part is that the Mac OS is "popular" for hackers. I am glad I do not have a Mac. The best advice I can give is to get virus protection.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is a timely report. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Clearly, no one is ever safe on line and no one, even Mac users, should let his guard down. If the Mini Mac does increase Mac sales, surely the Apple products will become a more desirable target for undesirables.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
people say Symantec Corp. sucks...

but look...

they are niiice enough to bring this report to out attention

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Somehow, I'm more inclined to agree with they see ALL here. Although, it was fated to happen, only a matter of time as the Mac became more popular.

Whatever, I still love my baby. She'll never go bad.

EDIT: READ THE POST BELOW THIS!

[edit on 3/22/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Even if Macintosh attacks are rising, they'll never even approach the number of Windows exploits. The Mac is still a much more reliable platform.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Mac? Hahaha, nothing more useless then a hacked paper weight. Macs are funny, slow, crappy, useless, and people actually waste their time to hack paper weights. If I want a nice paper weight I'll buy a GameCube, just as effective and cost less.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This isn't the place to start the debate, but for the record:

The macintosh is a better built machine. It just is, physically, there's no arguing with that.
The macintosh can do anything a PC can do, and more, and better, just with better names than "Windows Media Player."
The macintosh's operating system is far more stable, usable, useful, and all-around better. In short, it works better.
The macintosh has infintely more aesthetic value.
The macintosh is cutting edge.

I'm being brief, but that's it, basically, in a nutshell.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Interesting to say the least. I have also been under the mis-impression that Mac's were virtually hack proof. This puzzled me for years as an ex-Mac user. I know that at one time there were virus programs and newsletters related to Macs but assumed the OS had changed enough to protect the machine.

I guess then what protected the Mac was its small market share.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Cutting edge as a Pent 2 blows it out of the water, OS is being replaced by windows, not built better, built the same, and of course you need special #, the pc costs 5 bucks, but the special mouse, moniter, keyboard, vid card, ram, hd, everything else costs a #load because macs don't use regular part. Had a G3, it sucked, my sisters AMD 350 blew it out of the water. Macs are like Nintendo, old, slow, crappy, blown away by the competition. They weren't hack proof, just nobody wasted their time hacking something as useless as a mac. It's like beating a dead horse, if anything it makes it better.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Be careful, there are fanatically loyal Mac programmers who can attack hackers head-on if the hackers attack the Mac. Believe me, I personally know one and he is deadly on anti-Mac hackers.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Seems that even Mac users are prey to the old problem of "Security through Obscurity". All bias issues aside Mac lovers should rejoice in this news, because when your OS is the center of controversy or other attention you know your doing something right.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Are you telling us that some code writer is having.....

A "Big Mac Attack"

I know you had to see this coming. I just couldn't help myself. Sorry

On a more serious note, it is sad to see this Mac increasingly becoming a target. Symantec said that over the past year, it had documented 37 high-vulnerabilities. Mac must be taking on a larger market share.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The MAC's will always be better off when it comes to viruses & hacker attacks, because their a smaller target & less hackers own MACS to test their viruses on etc.

As far as one being better than the other - well not counting game machines I've owned a computer since 1986 and I've been in the biz since 1990 and there is really not one platform better than the other it just depends on what your using them for what's in your budget & what your preferences are. Although I can admit at one time Mac's were superior to PC's (the first couple years @ double the cost of a PC) that has not been the case for the past 15+ years. Clearly some of you have no clue - First of all you can't buy any cheap Macs though you can save by buying a slower processor you can't choose a $29 case & power supply or a $50 motherboard - Yeah if your going to compare a 2k MAC to a $500 junk pc that some 15 year old built in his bedroom then there's not much comparison. But if your going to compare a 3k Mac with a professionally built 3k PC you'll have a hard time picking one over the other as far as quality and reliability goes.

Computers are just tools, buy the one the fits the job you're going to do with it and stop with the ignorant arguments, or at least take them to another thread.

[edit on 23-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I find it interesting that a company that writes anti-virus software wants to state "that Macs are more vulnerable" but has not released a report of one attack on Mac OSX.

Mac OSX is very safe because the "user" is not the sysop. And they have a different level of security. So a Mac user browsing the internet doesn't have access to system software. What this means is while I'm browsing the internet , my user level doesn't have access to change the operating system, and spyware doesn't have the knowledge to infiltrate the operating system.

Why is this so hard for the "windows" world to acknowledge as being safe???

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qwas
I find it interesting that a company that writes anti-virus software wants to state "that Macs are more vulnerable" but has not released a report of one attack on Mac OSX.

Yes I find that strange also, of course they want Mac users to be paranoid! This opens up a whole new market for them. In fact I think Symantic is probably responsible for many of the virus out there today - it is in their best interest to fuel the paranoia.... Kinda like a Mafia Protection Racket...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Lesser I'm not sure you know what your talking about but G5's are the norm these days! A PM dual G5 spanks any comparable pc config. Please keep your crappy pc, the viruses and spyware that come with it.

PS please remember the ATS phrase- deny ignorance.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
DirectX support.
Gamers aviod Macs like the plague, Linux seems to be getting more popular with my friends as more and more games are becoming easier and easier to emulate under Linspire(formerly Lindows)

Macs were great machines but they have remained dormant for too long, Jobs needs to innovate again and frankely the Mac mini is not an big innovation, its just a stripped down PC. AMD is releasing thier own sub 200 dollar PC soon that runs on 12 watts!

The guys down at the Hi-Fi store are now XP users, they absoluetly hate macs now, the only reason people use macs nowadays is twofold, Aesthetics and Graphics Modelling. I'm sure those two reasons will go away soon enough too.

Flame away Mac fanatics
I have my fireproof suit on

[edit on 23-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Graphics Modelling.

When pc's can truly compete with a 'high end' mac in regards to graphics, pc based platforms may have a slight impact. But i don't see that happening soon.

edit:text

[edit on 23-3-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

Graphics Modelling.

When pc's can truly compete with a 'high end' mac in regards to graphics, pc based platforms may have a slight impact. But i don't see that happening soon.

edit:text

[edit on 23-3-2005 by sanctum]

Oh I completely agree, frankely I think that Linux and AMD might end up challenging Mac in the long run, I personally hate all proprietary OS's including Mac OS, just my Open Source bias talking though

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Oh I completely agree, frankely I think that Linux and AMD might end up challenging Mac in the long run, I personally hate all proprietary OS's including Mac OS, just my Open Source bias talking though

I think mac is Open Source,

Mac OS X a more robust, secure operating system, as its core components have been subjected to the crucible of peer review for decades. Any problems found with this software can be immediately identified and fixed by Apple and the Open Source community.

Apple Open Source

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join