It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Kingfish & Super Hustler

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I just finished reading “The Hunt for Zero Point” by Nick Cook. In the book he talks about a top secret project called Kingfish (not to be confused with the Russian AS-6 Kingfish) which was a competitor or possibly the successor to the A12/SR71 setup. The book said that the Kingfish is rumored to be a Mach 6.25 aircraft that can fly @ 125,000ft
and even has a picture of it in wind tunnel testing.

I did some digging on the net, and couldn’t find that much, but here are some links I found:

www.netwrx1.com...

www.blackbirds.net...

The following text is from GlobalSecurity.org and the full text can be found

here www.globalsecurity.org...

“In the late 1950s, General Dynamics pursued a highly stealthy design concept to meet requirements set by the Central Intelligence Agency for a supersonic high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft to replace the Lockheed U-2. The design began as a B-58 parasite known as Super Hustler. It evolved into an independent aircraft optimized to cruise at 125,000 feet at a speed of Mach 6.25. This configuration, dubbed Kingfish, was to be built mostly of pyro-ceram (a heat-resistant and radar-attenuating ceramic material). Two Marquardt ramjets powered the aircraft in the cruise portion of its mission. Two retractable General Electric J85 turbojets provided power for takeoff and for acceleration to speeds at which the ramjets could be ignited.“

I would like to know what other people know about Kingfish? Any info, stories, pictures etc.. will be greatly appreciated.

Do you think Kingfish or something based on it is what has created some of the seismic booms in the Southwest US? Do you think Kingfish somehow related to elusive Aurora project?

[edit on 22-3-2005 by warpboost]

[edit on 22-3-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ahh, so this drone was meant to be slung underneath, where the pod containing all the munitions were?

It evolved into an independant aircraft - As in completely independant from the B-58 carrier, or simply like SpaceShipOne and the White Knight?

Hmm, the Hustler seems to have the right design and specs for launching drones. Wasn't the SR-71 the replacement to the U-2? If so, Project Kingfish would most likely have been the losing competitor.

Shame it lost, really. Then again, we can use unmanned rockets to launch drones.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I HOPE WHAT I HAVE FOUND RECENTLY WOULD HELP YOU
www.testpilot.ru...
YOU DO CAN USE THE TRANSLATATION TOOL ABOVE TO CHANG IT INTO ENGLISH
Could you tell me who are you and where are you?

[edit on 22-3-2005 by emile]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hi

If you can find a copy of James Goodall/ Jay Millers

LOCKHEED SR-71 BLACKBIRD FAMILY Book by AEROFAX.

ISBN 1-85780-138-5

There is 8 pictures and 2 general arragement drawings of the FISH and KINGFISH aircraft.

ALAN

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is a nice thread - I never knew there was a "Super Hustler" concept.

You guys get my Way Above vote for the month...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This wholl projects don't have a chance . while don't have decision with heating of the plane on the speed more > M 3 .. .

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Fenix F 308]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Fenix - this is not a current project - it's from the late 1950's to early 1960's...

[edit on 23-3-2005 by intelgurl]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yes, I know, I mean that they don't have (don't has) a chance . The one of latest project that most have so big speed was Ayaks .. And it steel can not be closed becourse it most have the technology that don't have this world .

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So the B-58 Hustler was going to have a aircraft under neath it, called fish, but they must have liked it so much that they built a new version that didn't need a mothership and called it the Kingfish? is that right or wrong?

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
How was it supposed to take off? The "Kingfisher" was slung where the nose gear extended from on the B-58. I would have thought, that with 2 extendable jet engines, that launching from a B-52 would have been more practical.

Cool story, cool links.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by simtek 22
How was it supposed to take off? The "Kingfisher" was slung where the nose gear extended from on the B-58. I would have thought, that with 2 extendable jet engines, that launching from a B-52 would have been more practical.

Cool story, cool links.

I thought is said that that was the Fish...then later became its own plane and they called it Kingfish?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
heres some pics

The B-58 Hustler

The Super Hustler with Fish parasite vehicle attached

KingFish wind tunnel testing

Super Hustler Info

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fenix F 308
This wholl projects don't have a chance . while don't have decision with heating of the plane on the speed more > M 3 .. .

Fenix, as IntelGurl has pointed out, this is an old program.

I am sorry to say, your thinking that a plane can not handle the heat of going above Mach 3 is simply wrong.

The SR-71 flew at speeds above Mach 3 consistently, granted, it was not THAT far above Mach 3.

The US has had "X" projects doing hypersonic mach (5+) numbers.

And furthermore, every time a space shuttle comes back to Earth it is doing about Mach 25 (if my memory serves me).

No - it is not the heat holding us back, rather it is developing a safe, economic, and reliable engine to go with a reliable airframe that is.

As you have said, Russia has (had?) a plan like this.

Believe me, it is within this world to do it - it just takes money, time, and brilliant scientists.

As I see it, the only thing holding Russia back is the money. They undoubtedly have great scientists, and if you have money, time is not such an issue.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Some other pictures of Convair Fish and KingFish:

www.hitechweb.szm.sk/blackbird.htm

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
KingFish wind tunnel testing

Super Hustler Info

That is the picture that is in The Hunt for Zero point which sparked my interest, and lead me to create this thread. Thanks

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

[edit on 24-3-2005 by ajsr71]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
That picture of the wind tunnel picture looks like the NASA scramjet UAV that recently went to mach 7-10. And this project was started about 40 years ago!

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I self eye se how that looking nose of the aircraft fairing at the speed > 4.5 m ,Sorry but X-15 it's rocket plane . The self fly is 150 s. burning rockets. that's all, Shuttle Burning in the air not so biger time.. .

[edit on 27-3-2005 by Fenix F 308]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
About Speed that could give you the research aircraft. . I heard that In the midle of 80y, in Russia could make the aircraft > 4.5 . with that tch data ..but I don't know how Som where could made jet from speed biger then this .. ...

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Fenix F 308]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join