It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bird flu epidemic could kill as many as 750,000 in Britain: estimate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
An official British government estimate has predicted that if hit with the bird flu, there potentially be between 20,000 and 750,000 deaths. In addition, more than 25 percent of the active workforce could be home sick. Britain is preparing contingency plans including the stockpiling of medications and other supplies. The chief medical officer has also indicated that a national preparedness plan could be put in place that would shut down public places and issue travel warnings.

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (AFP) - Hundreds of thousands of people may die and one quarter of the work force could be absent if Britain were hit by a bird flu pandemic, a senior government official said.

"It may be somewhere between 20,000 and 750,000 extra deaths and it may be 25 percent of the population off work," the government official, speaking on a non-attributable basis, told a conference in London.

"That is the shape of the event we are going to have to deal with," he said.

Britain's population is nearly 60 million people, with 28 million working, according to government figures.

Contingency plans already announced by Britain's health department include the stockpiling of the anti-viral drug Tamiflu at a cost of 200 million pounds (380 million dollars, 290 million euros).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thats quite a spread for the casualty range but who's to know how fast and how hard it would hit any population. Its good to see the government is being prepared but if they are figuring that 25 percent of the workforce is down that is going to cause huge problems. Even if the numbers of doctors and nurses infected is low, they cannot function for long with out support staff. Nor can the hospitals keep going without supplies etc. Hopefully we do not get to that point.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I wonder about this bird flu because they have been sayig there is going to be a pandemic from november and yet, it isn't here yet. doesnanyoen know hwen it is likely to come to britain?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This is an interesting bold statement:

Sound like a real brazen acknowledgment by this unnamed British government official on the inevitability of the Avian bird flu hitting the UK. As if he or she is betting on it.

Hmm.....

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well it is still confined to Vietnam, although there are two nurses carrying the infection and they are isoloated according to the Viet Government. I think the figures above are really Government Happy Smoke in your face, considering the inevitable sickness of those in the health fields, that will trigger an even greater death toll. Sorry to be so blunt, but I really don't think the Government is taking all the factors into consideration.

Here's my number: 3,298,000 dead.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Holy....im scared because on tv(canadian tv) a couple of weeks ago it said on the news that they took the best doctors and scientists from across my Country to plan for the epidemic because they say it will kill one in three of us so with 30 percent of the healthcare sick they are going to have mass anidiote sessions in school gyms but then are worried about further spreading the virus....i dunno
(sorry about the spelling)

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Here's mine: 0 dead.

Wasn't there a story about the same thing from some British official posted a few weeks ago?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
This is an interesting bold statement:

Sound like a real brazen acknowledgment by this unnamed British government official on the inevitability of the Avian bird flu hitting the UK. As if he or she is betting on it.

Hmm.....

That is a really scarey thought, I hope they are being over cautious.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You know what's really scary?

That there are low-ranking members of al Qaeda in the southeast Asia who can infect themselves with the bird flu and fly to the United States on fake visas, passports or smuggle into the United States from elsewhere and then walk among the general public, spreading the Avian virus?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I highly doubt that would happen concidering there Al-Qaeda all over the middle east they could fly to the states buy a gun and go ape# on a bunch of people but they dont........

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soul_Contagious
I highly doubt that would happen concidering there Al-Qaeda all over the middle east they could fly to the states buy a gun and go ape# on a bunch of people but they dont........

There are active al Qaeda cells in the southeast Asia, militant Asian Muslims are as devoted to a major jihad against the United States and the West as the Muslims in the Middle East. They are as willing to die for Allah as long as they can carry out any destructive task.

I recalled that health experts in the US were concerned about members of al Qaeda who could infect themselves with a deadly contagious virus and spread it among the general public. So far that hasn't happen, but still the potentiality for it still exist among the concerns of health and counterterrrorist experts.

Have you seen the third season of "24"? If you haven't, rent and watch it, you should get the idea.

[edit on 3/22/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I think this may be an attempt to "desensitize" us to the fact that the govt.'s may start using biowarfare. There has been a good deal of news about in the past few months. Any way it goes, it's going to start getting rough in the near future.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by junior_smith
I wonder about this bird flu because they have been sayig there is going to be a pandemic from november and yet, it isn't here yet. doesnanyoen know hwen it is likely to come to britain?

Maybe this increased awareness is having a positive effect. If it is spreading rapidly they would not be able to contain news for very long. The medical community is a tight one and people know someone almost everywhere. Id have to take off my shoes and yours to count the number of PICU's where I know someone working there. Word would spread out. However, if medical staff's get hit hard, then we are really screwed. MD's and nurses will simply stay at home rather than put thier families at risk.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer

Here's mine: 0 dead.

Wasn't there a story about the same thing from some British official posted a few weeks ago?

Probability of a flu epidemic : 100%
Probability of people dying of flu : 100%
probability of flu virus mutating : 100%

The H5N1 is a particularily nasty one that is currently confined to birds with occasional transfer to humans. But viruses mutate and its simply a matter of time. The only unknown is how virulent the mutated strain will be. It could mutate to a less harmful form in which case the death rate will be confined to the elderly and sick like most flu outbreaks. If it retains its potency then the deathrate will be far higher than the government estimates. They are stuck between being honest about the danger and being accused of panicking the public. For example both viewpoints are expressed here all the time about government announcements so you can see their dilemma ! They have to pick a number that lies between the two viewpoints hence the low number chosen that's still big enough to make people take note of the danger.

A quietly expressed number amongst scientific circles is 2million dead in britain alone if the strain retains its potency.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Just a quick question to those interested,

Why would the british government weaponize bird flu and make it airborn... were they not happy with its limited infection/spread potential ?

Why is it being kept quiet ? As the 2012 olympics approach dont you think with the international travel to Britain form around the world a responsible government should be taking certain basics steps to avoid becoming infected or at the least informing us the sheeple on mainstream media so we can take our own pecautions.

If your wondering when bird flu will make an appearance here on a more aggresive scale then there is your answer...... if your looking for a simple answer, this is what you will all believe and will be programmed to believe, i have no doubt.

"Breaking news : A mutatated strain of the H5N1 virus has started spreading through Britain. We suspect it has come from one of the foreign camps or supporters travelling from other parts of the world .... possibly from the"Indonesia" area.

This will provide a perfect excuse and cover for the introductiong of the virus in Britain.........

If i lived in London or was travelling there for the olympics then i would seriously reconsider

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!

edit on 27-1-2012 by Zecharia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The thing is that when these pandemics kick off the result is pretty serious.

From a risk perspective, it is appropriate for the UK government to be as prepared as they can. It is likely not going to happen and we'll all bleat about the waste, but if it did happen then perhaps we'll all be quietly thankful that the government had a plan.

To remind...

Asiatic Flu 1889-90 est. 1 million perished
Spanish Flu 1918-20 est. 50 million
Asian Flu 1957-58 est. 2 million
Hong Kong Flu 1968-69 est. 1 million
Swine Flu 2009-10 greater than 18K

In the developed West we have decent health care. Spare a thought for the rest of the world.

Regards

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
hasn't it been established that bird flu has a 50% kill rate with medication and a 90% kill rate without, so where does this number of 750,000 come from, if it does hit most of the medical staff will undoubtedly stay off work due to fear so people need to realise this could be a lot worse than the so called goverment official is making out.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshpete
hasn't it been established that bird flu has a 50% kill rate with medication and a 90% kill rate without, so where does this number of 750,000 come from, if it does hit most of the medical staff will undoubtedly stay off work due to fear so people need to realise this could be a lot worse than the so called goverment official is making out.

H5N1 in Humans
China. On December 31, a 39-year-old male bus driver died a week after being admitted to a hospital with a fever. The Shenzhen Disease Control Center confirmed that he died from the H5N1 bird flu strain that is intransmissible from human to human.
took this off usgs website disturbing huh.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I call fearmomgering.

same estimates have been around when the swine flu hit couple of years ago.
I knew severeal people who got it. They had a nasty flu, stayed at home for 4-6 days and showed up for work after that.

You know that the normal flu kills hundreds a year? Most of them elderly persons or persons who have a weak immune system from other diseases. it happens every year.

at the same time there are 2-3 millions of people dying of malaria, and the press does not even mention that.

so use basic hygiene (washing hands, cover your mouth while sneezing or coughing, etc) and relax.

fear does not make you healthier, nor does big-pharma.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Its hardly fearmongering when nothing is being shown on mainstream media about it, your average Jo has no idea its having a major impact on lives across Indonesia and neighbouring countries. Sounds more like playing down the seriousness to me and if it reaches our shores......which it will, then simply washing your hands and covering up when coughing will not suffice otherwise the common cold or other the simple flu virus wouldnt spread so easily.

In our crowded public transport and through our schools and work places the virus will spread quicker that anyone can imagine, Yes malaria kills millions but its trasmitted through parasites in temperate countries not Britain and as for the common flu, yes its potentialy lethal to the old the young and the weak not middle aged fit and healthy beings, and should not be compared to the highly contagious and lethal H5N1 strain, which will "mutate"(personally i think it has already mutated....IN A LAB !!) even further rendering the current vaccines even more useless.

I urge those of you who are still trying to undermine or are still unsure of the seriousness of this to do a little research on the matter.

Thanks for listening.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Zecharia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soul_Contagious
Holy....im scared because on tv(canadian tv) a couple of weeks ago it said on the news that they took the best doctors and scientists from across my Country to plan for the epidemic because they say it will kill one in three of us so with 30 percent of the healthcare sick they are going to have mass anidiote sessions in school gyms but then are worried about further spreading the virus....i dunno
(sorry about the spelling)

Alarm bells would be ringing in my head at the sugestion of this, i would cut off contact with the outside world before i took my kids to a mass vaccine session hoping that it really is an anti viral that we are being injected with.

Tamiflu isnt gauranteed to work and really is a hit or a miss. Tablets can be issued just as easily if not easier and safer than arranging mass vaccines. My neighbours were issued with the tamiflu vaccine(in the form of tablets) around two years ago as they work in international haulage along with many others around me working in similar jobs where you come into contact with oversees material.

I really cant see the logic in this and would make me extremely worried, I suspect they will eventually make it mandatory for everyone "to prevent the spread"

Question everything .... things are not as they seem !!

new topics

top topics

join