It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Season Underway

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Okay, been a busy afternoon in Indian Territory with multiple tornadoes spotted and at least two touched down to cause light damage. When this storm (which resulted in a HUGE mesocyclonic anvil cell) started swelling up to the west of us (first shot directly to the west, center of storm about 10 miles northwest of us)

and back-filling over our heads (over my head)

and showing signs of potential greatness (over my head)

I decided to go after a few pics.

Headed toward the beast.

Parked on top of a hill, directly in the path of the trailing edge. Shot taken of backside of storm and "hook area"

more of same

shot of edge of mesocyclone, which at this time is continuing to back-fill to the southeast (storm headed to northeast and storm proper to northwest of me). Note that at this time the storm is folding the edge of super cell over and under and pulling it toward the center of the storm.

First funnel - in hook area - right where it ought to be. This one doesn't hold up too long.

But then the real deal happens:

At this point the rain gets so heavy between me and funnel that I lose visibility. This funnel went on to touch down just north of where I was shooting it.

I head back home (to the south and away from the storm.) This picture was taken directly over my head about half way home. What you are seeing is the southern edge of the storm to the north (on the top side of the pic) - which is STILL back-filling to the south!!! about to collide with the northern edge of a new supercell coming from the south.

The grapes of death!!!

Right now we have two possible tornadoes to the north of us, and the next supercell on the way - and they just keep generating!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Valhall]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Valhall]

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Springer]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The guy on the TV just said we have a tornado in our immediate area and our power is out. *

This is the kind of stuff that gets people killed.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Recorded from my back window looking to the southeast. You can hear Springer say the dude who thinks we don't have electricity is saying there is a tornado on the ground 5 miles to the east of us.

www.thedivinesibyl.com...

Recorded from my back porch looking due east - toward the alleged tornado (though my lights are still on).

www.thedivinesibyl.com...

I think it's storming!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Be careful, val

Tornado Warning

TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SIOUX FALLS SD
949 PM CDT SAT JUN 4 2005

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SIOUX FALLS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHWEST PLYMOUTH COUNTY IN NORTHWEST IOWA
SOUTHWEST SIOUX COUNTY IN NORTHWEST IOWA
NORTHERN UNION COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST SOUTH DAKOTA

AT 949 PM CDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED A TORNADO 5 MILES WEST OF AKRON...OR ABOUT 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HAWARDEN...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... AKRON AROUND 955 PM CDT

TAKE COVER NOW. THIS TORNADO IS WRAPPED IN RAIN. IF YOU WAIT TO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Man I love a good thunderstorm. We do not get that many tornados though.

Pic is from extreme instability

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Excellent Valhall (applauds). When we get a good one out here in No Mans Land , I'll get it in photos.

There were some biggins' in Garden City and Dodge City area this past week, I get more news from Texas and Kansas than Okla.

I like the mesonet sites , do you watch them? Looks like my Dad may have gotten a inch of wet +- in Seminole county.

Roper

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Roper]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Excellent Valhall (applauds). When we get a good one out here in No Mans Land , I'll get it in photos.

There were some biggins' in Garden City and Dodge City area this past week, I get more news from Texas and Kansas than Okla.

I like the mesonet sites , do you watch them?

Roper

Mesonet sites? What is that? Please share! And yes, please share photos if you get a good one. I've just lately got on this photographing thing. I suck...but I'm getting better...lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Here you go:

www.mesonet.org... The agweather pulling up public. See what I can do.

www.agweather.mesonet.org...

There! I use this one.

There was a big soak around Ada. Almost 3".

Roper

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Oh my! That's a neat site! Thank you.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
CNN just said there were over 30 tornados yesterday. Storms from Texas to the Canadian border. Remember when I lived down there, tornado season is nothing to scoff at. Do not miss the tornados, but do miss the thunderstorms every now and then. Used to sleep like a baby.

(CNN) -- Storms drenched parts of the nation's mid-section Saturday, and at least 30 twisters were reported in several states in the first major outbreak of tornadoes this year.

The tornadoes -- accompanied by rain, flooding and some hail -- touched down in parts of Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Oklahoma.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Here's some more awesome storm pics that were recently emailed to me.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What we are getting now 7:39pm.

www.srh.noaa.gov...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well it's over now. I lost a electric pole out at the farm, wires laying on the Noble Center and horse barn but I still had power at my office.

I did see some rotation too. This was one of those "sneek upon you storms"

Top gust was 76 mph. Straight line wind. AND I forgot to take the camera. Sorry.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Roper]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Valhall those pics you posted of the storms were breathtaking, nothing like looking at natures fury, to stir the senses.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
New storm pics!!! I wasn't able to snap any pics of this one building because I was at work. It was a really weird storm system that ended up stretching diagonally across the state. Originally it was moving northeast, but eventually it started moving southeast!!!

These pics were taken of the trailing edge of the storm system as the sun was setting.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
awesome pics. I live in northwest Arkansas and we've been under a tornado watch all evening. Under a severe thunderstorm warning at the moment.

Reminds me of the halcion days of my youth when I used to jump in my car with my best friend and we'd chase storms as far as we could. Gas was cheaper then.

Ah well, maybe we'll get some good storms tonight.

Wupy

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
i think we need a storm tracking thread for tornados with pics that would be cool....

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The scary part of this years storm season here in NE Oklahoma is that last night and tonight again the storms are firing up late, after midnight. Last night here outside of Tulsa we had straight line winds exceeding 60MPH (I lost 2 trees). Tonight we are again seeing conditions for tornadoes occuring but it is when everyone is asleep. Normally the storms develop late afternoon, early evening. With these fronts occuring during the night should a tornado drop there will be more loss of life. I know where I live I am only about 4 blocks from a siren but with A/C on or the windows closed you cannot hear the sirens.

Scary stuff!

[edit on 6/16/2005 by nativeokie]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join