It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Season Underway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

When major catastrophes strike, like the recent Asian earthquake and tsunami, the mass deaths can lead one to think that natural disasters are the most likely way people can die.

Not by a long shot.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the leading causes of death in the United States are, in this order, heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic lower respiratory diseases, and "accidental injury," a broad category that includes a lot of stuff that just happens.

You are more likely to commit suicide or fall to your death than be killed by a tsunami or any natural disaster, the odds say.

here we go...

i am glad i live in NY

i hope that if you are in a "danger zone" you "prepare" in any way you can...

here is someother info:

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

ENJOY!!!

[edit on 22-3-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I've seen plenty of tornado's, seen what a F3 can do. When you live in tornado ally tornado's ain't a big deal, just something you need to be aware of.

Before the F5 hit the OKC metro area, we had several around here. One came close to Amarillo,TX then pulled back up. I said to my wife that one of these days a big one was going to wreck havoc and not pull up.

Didn't like being right.

Roper

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have to say that this is my favorite time of year here in Oklahoma. The wheat fields are green, the sun is shining, and a thunderstorm could roll in at any moment. Nothing like watching a huge storm form and then standing outside as the wind instantly goes from 0 to 40 mph (not an exact figure). Looking at one of the giant thunderheads can really make you feel tiny.

I've never actually seen a tornado but I was in a shelter just a mile or two away from one one the ground and been on the road in many a crazy storm.

I don't know how it is in other places, but here in Oklahoma the weather can be insane, 4 or 5 storm fronts can come through in one afternoon.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
And here out West all I thought we had to be concerned about were earthquakes .. .. Probable Tornado in S.F. 3/21/05

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
A down burst can cause a lot of damage. Been in them too. Still and calm then 80mph wind. Not fun!

Roper

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Interesting. The place here I went to High School got hit by a tornado yesterday, Cromwell, OK.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
www.livescience.com...

When major catastrophes strike, like the recent Asian earthquake and tsunami, the mass deaths can lead one to think that natural disasters are the most likely way people can die.

Not by a long shot.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the leading causes of death in the United States are, in this order, heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic lower respiratory diseases, and "accidental injury," a broad category that includes a lot of stuff that just happens.

You are more likely to commit suicide or fall to your death than be killed by a tsunami or any natural disaster, the odds say.

here we go...

i am glad i live in NY

here is someother info:

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

ENJOY!!!

you sure? new york is just across lake ontario from the new tornado alley, southern ontario. we didn't have tornados untill the 80's. now we seem to get some every year. at least if a picture is taken to convince enviroment canada

seriousely though i never used to worry about tornadoes either.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Ive seen a waterspout. It was pretty cool but I freaked out cause #1 I was in the car and #2 it was on the bay right next to where we live and the dogs where home alone
. I almost jumped out of the car cause I couldnt live with having my dogs die form a tornado LOL. Later when we got home the weather man said a waterspout is a tornado but rarely stregnthens. Its was a pretty awesome sight! It was less then a mile away from us.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Ooops double post. Anyways anyone in Oklahoma and Kansas be safe. I know yall mainly get the worst of the tornado season.

[edit on 3/24/2005 by AndrewTB]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo

Originally posted by they see ALL
www.livescience.com...

Not by a long shot.

here we go...

i am glad i live in NY

here is someother info:

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

www.livescience.com...

ENJOY!!!

you sure? new york is just across lake ontario from the new tornado alley, southern ontario. we didn't have tornados untill the 80's. now we seem to get some every year. at least if a picture is taken to convince enviroment canada

seriousely though i never used to worry about tornadoes either.

Got a Link to this new tornado alley? I live in detroit and was woundering if it covers this area as well.

I know last year the sky turned green and balck, and it got realy windy. then the warning horns went off.

Peace

Zintac

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Hahaha. Tornado alley is everywhere tornado's repeat themselves. I live close to a "tornado alley" Every year we have several hit the same stretch of land. Most are small, but we have had some seriously destructive ones.
My neighbor Lance Bass from the band N Sync has seen the damage these things cause first hand. This part of our area is hit hard about every five years, and hit with mild damage about every three years.

www.celebritydetective.com...

Tornado alley link:

www.tornadochaser.net...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
Hahaha. Tornado alley is everywhere tornado's repeat themselves. I live close to a "tornado alley" Every year we have several hit the same stretch of land. Most are small, but we have had some seriously destructive ones.
My neighbor Lance Bass from the band N Sync has seen the damage these things cause first hand. This part of our area is hit hard about every five years, and hit with mild damage about every three years.

www.celebritydetective.com...

Tornado alley link:

www.tornadochaser.net...

LOL you live next door to him. You live in a gay community? Im just kidding. You must live in a upper-scale neighborhood.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hahahaha. Gay neighborhood...lol thats a good one.
Yes the hood is in the mid to upper class.
The point being that here in Mississippi tornados are sort of expected. And they can seriously flatten any neighborhood. A pro baseball player in Clinton,Ms. also not far from me, built a 28,000 sq.ft. home...guess he's new here or has a great insurance policy.lol Leanne Rimes family also lives close, but heck we all know they've lived here since dirt and CAN afford new homes.hahaha
I'll post pictures as the season comes in with that awfull sounding horn blowing.
My aunt's family home was destroyed about six or seven years ago while they were home...talk about needing clean pants. I'll see what pictures I can dig up and post. One small boy had his arm ripped off, a pregnant lady dies while my uncle held her, and a four year girl walked through the devastation without so much a cut on her bare geet..all she had to say when the rescue workers ask how she got there was that an angel had carried her.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
There were some heavy one's last night, funnels, hail the size of softballs. All this in the Texas panhandle. Firing up in Okla. tonight.

Roper

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
There were some heavy one's last night, funnels, hail the size of softballs. All this in the Texas panhandle. Firing up in Okla. tonight.

Roper

Well that is a relief for me. If they are bad when they hit you then they are usualy just storms when they hit me.

I have live in this same town near Kansas City all my life. Strangely enough we have never had a tornado here. We have had F3's ride the borders of our town, but never crossed in. We had one a couple of years ago that started forming over the middle of our town, but did not touch down until right out side the city line. The other night we had a pretty good storm. Went from calm winds to 65mph winds. The kids and I were in the middle of saying our bedtime prayer and we had to stop and shut the windows.

I love it though. I used to get so mad as a kid because I wanted to see a tornado. Now that I have kids, I pray we never have to go through that.
Nothing beats watching a good storm roll in though. The power of Mother Nature is awesome.

E_T

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogueX
I have to say that this is my favorite time of year here in Oklahoma. The wheat fields are green, the sun is shining, and a thunderstorm could roll in at any moment. Nothing like watching a huge storm form and then standing outside as the wind instantly goes from 0 to 40 mph (not an exact figure). Looking at one of the giant thunderheads can really make you feel tiny.
Somehow I just feel that most of mankind would require getting overrun by supercells to realise that if rest of nature would treat human as we treat it there wouldn't be any "civilization".

And then something which you all surely like... especially stormchasers.

Feds' weather information could go dark
Do you want a seven-day weather forecast for your ZIP code? Or hour-by-hour predictions of the temperature, wind speed, humidity and chance of rain? Or weather data beamed to your cellphone?

That information is available for free from the National Weather Service.

Do you want a seven-day weather forecast for your ZIP code? Or hour-by-hour predictions of the temperature, wind speed, humidity and chance of rain? Or weather data beamed to your cellphone?

But under a bill pending in the U.S. Senate, it might all disappear.
The bill, introduced last week by Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., would prohibit federal meteorologists from competing with companies such as AccuWeather and The Weather Channel...

But critics say the bill's wording is so vague they can't tell exactly what it would ban.
"I believe I've paid for that data once. ... I don't want to have to pay for it again," said Scott Bradner, a technical consultant at Harvard University.

He says that as he reads the bill, a vast amount of federal weather data would be forced offline.
"The National Weather Service Web site would have to go away," Bradner said. "What would be permitted under this bill is not clear — it doesn't say. Even including hurricanes."
www.palmbeachpost.com...

Yep, that means no more weather radar images and that kind accurate information... you would have to pay or go through pop-up&ad hells to see them.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Feds' weather information could go dark

But under a bill pending in the U.S. Senate, it might all disappear.
The bill, introduced last week by Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., would prohibit federal meteorologists from competing with companies such as AccuWeather and The Weather Channel...

But critics say the bill's wording is so vague they can't tell exactly what it would ban.
"I believe I've paid for that data once. ... I don't want to have to pay for it again," said Scott Bradner, a technical consultant at Harvard University.

He says that as he reads the bill, a vast amount of federal weather data would be forced offline.
"The National Weather Service Web site would have to go away," Bradner said. "What would be permitted under this bill is not clear — it doesn't say. Even including hurricanes."
www.palmbeachpost.com...

Yep, that means no more weather radar images and that kind accurate information... you would have to pay or go through pop-up&ad hells to see them.

What, in the farthest dark corners of retardation, could possibly be given as a reason to pull weather data from the taxpayers that pay for the ability to gather in the first place???

Why would ANYBODY not want us seeing the weather data?

E_T

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
What, in the farthest dark corners of retardation, could possibly be given as a reason to pull weather data from the taxpayers that pay...
Why would ANYBODY not want us seeing the weather data?
No need to blame Bin Laden and bomb random country...
Just look towars your good ol fascistic corporationism&Co wanting to take every last penny they can take.

"Analysis" which hits the point.

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. ... corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."
-- U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864 (letter to Col. William F. Elkins) Ref: “The Lincoln Encyclopedia”, Archer H. Shaw (Macmillan, 1950, NY)

[edit on 14-5-2005 by E_T]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
WhooHooo!!

Got the truck gassed up,..the insurance paid,..and camera ready!

Im in for a chase! Anyone else?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If we get anything around here, my wife and kids will be out to check it out. I go along to make them "get the hell out of Dodge". Someone has to be sane.

Roper

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join