It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual job fairs SUCK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Seriously its what I imagine speed dating is like you have crabby vets crowding a chat room demanding prompt service, harried HR people trying to keep up people like me struggling to find how to market myself.

Zero chance to connect, zero chance to put any emotion into it, text based job fair blow giant hairy donkey balls.

I have two follow up phone calls later in the week but I am pretty sure that if they offer a position it will be for aircraft maintenance which I do not want to do anymore.

But if the pay is an improvement I will feel obligated to do so I can take care of the family.

Adulting sucks...

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah, I don't do virtual job fairs. Or job fairs in general. It's usually almost always employers doing their best to take advantage of people.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Did that one time. It was absolutely aweful. I am awkward enough in person, the online platform... I might as just as well been a ghost.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Sounds pretty crappy, but like you said, many of us take jobs that we're not ecstatic about because it pays the bills for the family.

Best of luck on it, man.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What are your qualifications, talents, abilities?

I may have things available, PM me if you want.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yes, they do I got roped into a call center job from a job fair when I was in my twenties and it isn't much better going in your fifties. Especially when the last 30 years you were an independent sales rep in the family business.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

On the plus side, the two companies that want to talk over the phone are actually doing quite good on govt contracts.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What are your qualifications, talents, abilities?

Not OP, but we could all use practice on this from time to time.

Qualifications-
*I'm ranked diamond in rocket league and warzone.
*I can type fast

Talents-
*I can walk on my hands
*cooking

Abilities
*I have a stomach for losing money in the stock market recently. Some say I'm a sick masochist.
*I keep people entertained, jury is out with vs at on the laughing.

When do I start? What do I do now, and how much is that rooms rent?

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

So something in upper management?

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The one and only job fair I attended I left with a feeling of pride as I was already making 2 times what they were offering.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So something in upper management?

It's not what ya know, it's who ya know... And I know you.

Someone told me a true manager deligates, so I'm going to divvy up my responsibilities to key employees. It will empower then and set them up for success when the time comes to promote from within.

You're making a real good choice here DB. We're going to do big things here... Mansion or section 8, we're throwing it all on red and aiming for the fences.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I see a corner office or a padded cell.

Both options are on the table and we'll just put a pin in it until we determine the best action.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My God, I am so grateful I'm retired.

I remember job fairs (the real in person kind - believe it or not, people used to not have to wear masks!) from the 90s. I hate cattle calls.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Either way I win.

Even if the latter happens I'll just construct my own reality anyways.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Either way I win.

Even if the latter happens I'll just construct my own reality anyways.

You are already mentally geared for upper management.

Hired!

posted on May, 19 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast
The one and only job fair I attended I left with a feeling of pride as I was already making 2 times what they were offering.

Right? I went to a job fair out of curiosity when I came back to Tennessee last year. All of the offers were lowball as hell. They take advantage of people desperate for jobs.

I had a discussion at one table where they said they were looking for automation technicians, and I asked them about the job responsibilities and such. What they were really looking for was a mechanic. When I asked them how much the starting pay was they said it depends on experience. So, I rattled.off a bunch of experience, and they they were like "Oh wow–that's great. We can start you off at $18 an hour."

Yeah right lmao.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Got a call back today from Lockheed, and I am expecting another tomorrow from sierra nevada aviation, Lockheed hr person suggested I go for aviation maintenance then use their tuition assistance to get my IT certs knocked out, and apply for movement within the company.

It was a wildly more positive call than I expected to be honest, knocking out the paperwork to apply tonight then IF I get a call back I can work details. (trying to manage expectations)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: cre8chaos

Did that one time. It was absolutely aweful. I am awkward enough in person

Don't you mean 'awekward'?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

(Just a hint: the word is 'awful', not 'aweful' - unless you meant 'awesome')

In any case, wouldn't being awkward in real life mean you would be more fluent and smooth in the online world? Am I missing something here? Online world is usually more convenient, it's much more painful to 'be a ghost' in real-life scenario.

top topics

join