It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NN2021. My new normal. Non-writer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It all started on a sunny, spring morning. The year was 2021, five months in. The birds were singing wildly to the wind. The dew slowly starting to evaporate. The spiders sat so still in the middle of their webs.

I lit my last cigarette. I inhale deeply. The smoke billows out of my nose and mouth with force as I sighed. My thoughts fixated on all the news from this past year. All the words that circle are; mask mandates, ppe, nonessentials closed, essentials open, quarantine, COVID, COVID 19, conronavirus, sars-Cov-2, hospitals overcrowded, ventilators, not enough ventilators, travel bans, curfews, rushed vaccine, mRNA, death... the new normal. The smoke was swirling with the rhythm of my thoughts; everywhere.

I smashed the cig into the ashtray and stood up to grab my bag and keys. Heading to my Jeep, I hop in and connect my phone to the radio. I put on space oddity by David Bowie. I turn it up as loud as I can.

I slowly back out of my driveway. As I shifted into drive, I look straight at the long road ahead. I floored it! 30, 55, 80, 89.... Zap!

My Jeep comes screeching to an abrupt halt. I gather my bearings and hop out. I run up to the first person I see and ask, “what year is it?” They look at me with utter confusion and reply “2019.” Relief engulfs me. I’ll stay here. This will be my new normal.

Fin

The end

(Wrote this on my phone so not sure how it’ll look on a screen, sorry!)
Thanks for reading!
-cat

edit on 04/30/2021 by CrazyBlueCat because: Added a comma

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazyBlueCat

This reminds me of an old school Sci-Fi short story .

It's very good I enjoyed it .

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Thank you !!

I appreciate some feedback.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazyBlueCat

I got a good laugh out of that.

Presumably, the protagonist had been in 2019 before and ended up in 2021 before.

Poor time looped character!

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Thank you!! I needed a laugh that day and hadn’t written in awhile
Thanks for reading

Oh my, I never even thought of a time loop but my gosh it may have been subconsciously cause I get a recurring thought that we are in a time loop now.

top topics

join